Recurrent Uti Infections In My Cat,any Advice ?

Hi all, just collected my poor cat from vets after yet another bad ITU ,this is third time in 3 years.Cat is male , indoor ,neutered 11 year old .I have (on many occasions) treated him myself very successfully with cider vinegar (with mother) but my own health is not great so I'm not as on the ball as I need to be.He is a very cranky, stubborn cat .Ive tried everything with his diet ie cooked, raw, pouches ,canned .when I inherited him age 4 ,he only ate kibble so I continued that ,and he was fine for about 2 years .Ichanged over to double bowl one dry one wet but every few months gets Uti symptoms which is when I start cider vinegar therapy,this works but is very stressful for us both,he fights me every step ,won't drink soI have to syringe directly into mouth,my thanks is scratches and bites for my trouble .he doesn't drink enough water.Is there anything I could sneak into his food to prevent or lesson these Uti s thank you .

OP
E
when I said third time in 3 years I'm talking about emergency situation , which means 3 to 4 days in vets,urine catherisation which I believe is very harsh and causes scarring .Other times I treated at home ,Is it acid or alkaloids or both .

aguilaroja

...just collected my poor cat from vets after yet another bad ITU ,this is third time in 3 years
...every few months gets Uti symptoms which is when I start cider vinegar therapy, this works but is very stressful for us both, he fights me every step
...is there anything I could sneak into his food to prevent or lesson these Uti s thank you .

It is not an especially Peat-style suggestion, but adding adding mannose powder to food might
be helpful.

D-mannose powder for prophylaxis of recurrent urinary tract infections in women: a randomized clinical trial. - PubMed - NCBI
Use of d-mannose in prophylaxis of recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs) in women - Altarac - 2013 - BJU International - Wiley Online Library
D-mannose powder for prophylaxis of recurrent urinary tract infections in women: a randomized clinical trial.
Kranjčec B1, Papeš D, Altarac S.
World J Urol. 2014 Feb;32(1):79-84. doi: 10.1007/s00345-013-1091-6.
"In our study, D-mannose powder had significantly reduced the risk of recurrent UTI which was no different than in Nitrofurantoin group."

Use of D-mannose in prophylaxis of recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs) in women. - PubMed - NCBI

Surfari

I'm using a product called Uromaxx with success. I have an old female that hasn't had a uti since she's been taking it.
I add it to her food. At first I used it every day, now more like 2 or 3 times a week.

I feel for you. Uti's in males can go serious so quickly.

This information came from entirelypets.com:
UroMaxx for Cats and Dogs is an unprecedented and powerful liquid Lower Urinary Tract formula for (FLUTD). UroMAXX has also been designed and formulated as powerful and effective urinary tract, kidney and bladder formula for cats and dogs. UroMAXX is safe to use everyday.

Indications for use:
  • Lower urinary tract disease
  • Idiopathic cystitis
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • Bladder infection
  • Pain while urinating (meowing or howling)
  • Urinating outside of the litter box
  • Frequent licking of the genital area
  • Frequent urination without passing much urine
  • Blood-tinged or dark urine
  • Fever and loss of condition
  • Strong urine smell

Ingredients:
  • Cranberry Juice Extract, from the leading producer of cranberry products (75mg per 1.0ml) prevents the ability of microorganisms from adhering to the epithelial cells that line the urinary tract.
  • Glucosamine as (HCL) (65mg per 1.0ml) The urinary tract is covered by a protective barrier called the glycosaminoglycan layer. Glucosamine helps nourish and strengthen the urinary tract layer lining.
  • Vitamin C as (Ascorbic Acid) (35mg per 1.0ml) helps to acidify urine, making the bladder a less inviting environment for harmful bacteria to colonize.
  • Cornsilk (30mg per 1.0ml) is used to treat and detoxify infections of the urinary and genital system. Cornsilk helps reduce frequent urination caused by irritation of the bladder.
  • Dandelion Whole Plant (25mg per 1.0ml) is used for the treatment of the bladder, kidney and urinary disorders. Dandelion strengthens the kidneys and encourages the steady elimination of toxins from the body and is a powerful diuretic.
  • Nettle Leaf (15mg per 1.0ml) is used in the prevention and treatment of bladder stones, urolithiasis and flushing out waste products and toxins to the body associated with feline urinary tract disease.
  • L-Methionine (10 mg per 1.0ml) is a protein amino acid intended to acidify urine in cats that have mild to chronic LUTD (lower urinary tract diseases).

Caution: This product should not be given to pregnant or nursing mothers and pets under 12 weeks of age.

yerrag

I'm trying to figure out how best to help a 6 year old desexed female cat.

First time for her. Classic symptoms of little urine that has some traces of blood.

She has no fever, can eat. But I'm putting her on a fast for a few days. She just keeps trying to urinate, and keeps cleaning herself (she's OC and it's a good sign).

Gave her homeopathic pills and continue to give her Pulsatilla 30C. It's the 2nd day and there's some progress as the frequency of her attempting to urinate is much less.

Meanwhile, I suspect this may be a sickness from being desexed, and so it could be hormonal. So I'm applying on her genital area a drop each of Progestene and Pansterone (DHEA and Pregnenolone) twice a day.

I rather not take to the vet. The outcome usually not improved with vets with their standard medications.

Am exploring isopathy and essential oil therapy but so far coming up empty looking at references.

Surfari

I'm trying to figure out how best to help a 6 year old desexed female cat.

First time for her. Classic symptoms of little urine that has some traces of blood.

She has no fever, can eat. But I'm putting her on a fast for a few days. She just keeps trying to urinate, and keeps cleaning herself (she's OC and it's a good sign).

Gave her homeopathic pills and continue to give her Pulsatilla 30C. It's the 2nd day and there's some progress as the frequency of her attempting to urinate is much less.

Meanwhile, I suspect this may be a sickness from being desexed, and so it could be hormonal. So I'm applying on her genital area a drop each of Progestene and Pansterone (DHEA and Pregnenolone) twice a day.

I rather not take to the vet. The outcome usually not improved with vets with their standard medications.

Am exploring isopathy and essential oil therapy but so far coming up empty looking at references.
Hi Yerrag - Can you explain how the fasting helps?
Along with the Uromaxx that I talked about before, I keep antibiotics on hand, (I know, that doesn't help unless you have some).

I've tried giving my cats progesterone, energin and tocovit on their necks and they've had bad reactions in that it irritates their skin and their hair would fall out. Sometime I can slip it into their food and they'll eat it (but not the energin).
Good luck!

yerrag

Hi Yerrag - Can you explain how the fasting helps?
Along with the Uromaxx that I talked about before, I keep antibiotics on hand, (I know, that doesn't help unless you have some).

I've tried giving my cats progesterone, energin and tocovit on their necks and they've had bad reactions in that it irritates their skin and their hair would fall out. Sometime I can slip it into their food and they'll eat it (but not the energin).
Good luck!

I'm not sure if fasting helps a lot. Usually the body just doesn't feel like eating and that's the body's cue to itself that it wants to use its energy on healing itself.

Digestion requires energy while without eating the body has reserves it can still feed off.

If the body needs some rebalancing, as in the case of releasing acids, it may help as eating protein introduces an acidic load.

It won't hurt to fast as long as the body has enough reserves. Cats can fast for long periods as they can survive on feast or famine mode. Those who fast occasionally believe fasting gets rid of senescence cells and this paves the way for new cells to take their place. Perhaps that way of life can extend life span as well as the body can rid itself of old baggage.

I usually let my cats fast a day a week.

p.s. Not sure if it's right, but I apply progestene and pansterone on the inside of the ears and around the genital region, as there is less hair in the ear and the genital area is nearer the cyst.

I'd like to do emf therapy but since cats are moving around it's not practical. I think that aromatherapy with a suitable oil may help, as breathing allows the oil to eventually get into the blood stream of the lungs and this bypasses portal circulation where the oil is quickly detoxed. But I still have to find a suitable oil that can help with cystitis.

Last edited:

Surfari

I'm not sure if fasting helps a lot. Usually the body just doesn't feel like eating and that's the body's cue to itself that it wants to use its energy on healing itself.

Digestion requires energy while without eating the body has reserves it can still feed off.

If the body needs some rebalancing, as in the case of releasing acids, it may help as eating protein introduces an acidic load.

It won't hurt to fast as long as the body has enough reserves. Cats can fast for long periods as they can survive on feast or famine mode. Those who fast occasionally believe fasting gets rid of senescence cells and this paves the way for new cells to take their place. Perhaps that way of life can extend life span as well as the body can rid itself of old baggage.

I usually let my cats fast a day a week.

p.s. Not sure if it's right, but I apply progestene and pansterone on the inside of the ears and around the genital region, as there is less hair in the ear and the genital area is nearer the cyst.

I'd like to do emf therapy but since cats are moving around it's not practical. I think that aromatherapy with a suitable oil may help, as breathing allows the oil to eventually get into the blood stream of the lungs and this bypasses portal circulation where the oil is quickly detoxed. But I still have to find a suitable oil that can help with cystitis.
Oh, interesting. Good points.
With my cat's I've thought that the uti was brought on by dehydration. Do you know how to check for dehydration, by pulling up on their necks?
I've tried rubbing supplements on their ears too, but then their ears got red...

yerrag

Oh, interesting. Good points.
With my cat's I've thought that the uti was brought on by dehydration. Do you know how to check for dehydration, by pulling up on their necks?
I've tried rubbing supplements on their ears too, but then their ears got red...
Pulling their skin is a good way to check for dehydration. Cats are pretty stoic and you have to be observant for visible cues of their being sick. If the cat is grouchy when it normally isn't, it's already a tell. Then you have to feel it's temperature. Look if there's more boogers than usual in the eyes (I myself have no boogers anymore when I wake up). Rub the nose if it's moist. See if it's still keeping up with its tidy up routine. Feel for lumps. Throat lumps are a tell for hyperthyroid. If they urinate in the same spots etc.

Since cats aren't cry babies, when you notice something amiss, it's better to err on the side of action than keep a wait and see stance. That said, it doesn't mean you go on a frenzy and end up harming the cat more. I learned that the hard way.

yerrag

Good luck!
Cat breed (mine are feral) and diet, or the solvents used in the topical supplements - a lot of variables for sure.

I feed my cats cooked fish ( no head as I think there's too much thyroid) mixed with mature coconut flesh, and some salt and b vitamins and taurine, an essential nutrient for cats. And they also get scraps from the table.

I also prefer the cats to be desexed when mature already, and had a chance to mate. Desexing before maturity seems fraught with risks, though vets say otherwise. But as with how I take doctor's advice, I take vet advice with a big coarse grain of salt.

Last edited:

Surfari

Cat breed (mine are feral) and diet, or the solvents used in the topical supplements - a lot of variables for sure.

I feed my cats cooked fish ( no head as I think there's too much thyroid) mixed with mature coconut flesh, and some salt and b vitamins and taurine, as essential nutrient for cats. And they also get scraps from the table.

I also prefer the cats to be desexed when mature already, and had a chance to mate. Desexing before maturity seems fraught with risks, though vets say otherwise. But as with how I take doctor's advice, I take vet advice with a big coarse grain of salt.
I agree about waiting until they are older to have them fixed.
Lots of good info! thanks yerrag.

yerrag

I agree about waiting until they are older to have them fixed.
Lots of good info! thanks yerrag.
Thanks for sharing on Uromaxx as well. I should order that and have that on hand. I find it a lot less stressful when I have stuff on hand.

I have a homeopathic kit for pets and it's a must have as it's helped me a few times with my cat's and the occasional incidents that pop up.

The one I have is from Helios Homeopathy from UK. This time around I used the Pulsatilla 30C.

yerrag

My female cat seems to have recovered as she is back to normal and at night sleeping well soundly with no need to keep waking up.

I've stopped the homeopathic remedy and I'll just apply a drop each of Progestene and Pansterone daily on her for a week before I do a once a week maintenance dose of the hormones.

I have no idea what dosage to use. So it's just guesswork at this point.

I may also do the same for the male cat who's about as old as the female cat and desexed as well.

Surfari

My female cat seems to have recovered as she is back to normal and at night sleeping well soundly with no need to keep waking up.

I've stopped the homeopathic remedy and I'll just apply a drop each of Progestene and Pansterone daily on her for a week before I do a once a week maintenance dose of the hormones.

I have no idea what dosage to use. So it's just guesswork at this point.

I may also do the same for the male cat who's about as old as the female cat and desexed as well.
Glad to hear she's doing better. Thanks for the tip about the homeopathic kits, I'll have to check them out.

yerrag

Glad to hear she's doing better. Thanks for the tip about the homeopathic kits, I'll have to check them out.
I hope we can see our pets live longwe in health, and in so doing we also learn to be better at taking care of our own as well.

AspiringSage

A friend had good luck treating her older cat for UTI’s with D-mannose and low doses of methylene blue.

Back
Top Bottom