Rectal Administration Of Vitamin E For Treatment Of Degenerative Diseases

natedawggh

Yes, this is funny but I was not really getting much effect from Vitamin E and I wondered if I was absorbing it at all. So I started using it as a suppository. In a week I saw a complete reversal of a varicocele (which is a varicose vein-like condition in men), skin clearing, energy and temperature improvements. I had been taking vitamin E religiously before and never saw any of these benefits. It is possible that some degenerative diseases impair all absorption of some substances, and E seems to be one of the hardest to absorb if there are any difficulties.

Here is one article I found about this route for ulcerative colitis. As I have IBS, and have seen a complete improvement of my symptoms, as well as the issues above, it definitely works for more than just this condition.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2760182/

It should go without saying that only natural vitamin E tocopherol should be used to do this.

Doesn't the capsule give you problems?

lindsay

Super interesting! What brand/dose were you using? And I'm guessing it is d-alpha tocopherol??

burtlancast

natedawggh said:
I had been taking vitamin E religiously before and never saw any of these benefits.

What dosages did you use , and for how long ?
Did you take your Vit E with food ?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've made vitamin A suppositories at home with cocoa butter. I'm sure you could do the same with vitamin E. I can post a recipe on how to make your own suppositories if anyone is interested. My way may not be the best way but I'd be glad to share.

Philomath

do share!
I just had a thought... Liquifid liver and coffee powder suppository! Finally a way to benefit from liver without having to eat it ;)

jyb

natedawggh said:
Here is one article I found about this route for ulcerative colitis. As I have IBS, and have seen a complete improvement of my symptoms, as well as the issues above, it definitely works for more than just this condition.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2760182/

A 1956 study on topical absorption of some nutrients. It includes some vitamin E among others:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/59/2/171.full.pdf

How come in that condition things can be absorbed topically efficiently, but not at all orally? There's a lot of surface contact from the mouth to the rectum, so even if some of it malfunctions...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Philomath said:
do share!
I just had a thought... Liquifid liver and coffee powder suppository! Finally a way to benefit from liver without having to eat it ;)
I will find my recipe I have written down and post it asap!

Philomath

Blossom said:
Philomath said:
do share!

I was kidding about the liver but I am serious about your recipe. If suppositories increase absorption of vit E, I wonder if it makes sense to try administering progest-e the same way? Or Haidut's estroban?

aguilaroja

natedawggh said:
...I was not really getting much effect from Vitamin E and I wondered if I was absorbing it at all. So I started using it as a suppository. In a week I saw a complete reversal of a varicocele (which is a varicose vein-like condition in men), skin clearing, energy and temperature improvements.

...I have IBS, and have seen a complete improvement of my symptoms,...

Thanks for pointing this out. I have heard of the application anecdotally. Had you previously tried topical as well as oral vitamin E intake?

The study used enema rather than suppository delivery. The outcome in this preliminary study was impressive:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18932276

"After 12 wk, all 14 patients responded clinically to the therapy and remission was induced in 9 of them (64%). No patient reported adverse events or was hospitalized due to worsened disease activity."

If this was a pharmaceutical, the finding would be broadcast in widespread daily advertising. On quick search, larger studies or application of tocopherol enema for other conditions was not found.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Philomath said:
Blossom said:
Philomath said:
do share!

I was kidding about the liver but I am serious about your recipe. If suppositories increase absorption of vit E, I wonder if it makes sense to try administering progest-e the same way? Or Haidut's estroban?
I have thought about trying haidut's pregnenolone that way because I require such a large amount orally. Anyway, here is how I make suppositories:
You will need-
1. Double boiler
2. Aluminum foil in 10- 2 inch x 2 inch squares
3.Cocoa butter 2tbsp/1ounce
4. 10 doses of vitamin E oil of choice
Slowly melt cocoa butter in double boiler. Stir in vitamin E. Remove from heat and let mixture stand until it just starts to solidify. Using a spoon scoop approximately 1/10th mixture onto aluminum foil square. Roll into a cylindrical shape and place in the refrigerator or freezer to cool.
I'm open to suggestions on improving this recipe! I've wondered if a candy mold in an acceptable shape might work better? I've also considered the possibility that aluminum foil might not be optimal but haven't come up with anything that holds its shape quite as well. Feel free to share any tweaks to this that come to mind.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
thebigpeatowski said:
Perhaps you could line the foil squares with a square of waxed paper?
Yes! Thanks BP. The thought crossed my mind but since I hadn't tried it myself I hesitated to suggest it. I will definitely try this out the next time I make suppositories (not sure when) and see how it works! That's how I freeze my liver. :P

Philomath

thanks Blossom!
Apologies to those whith medical/scientific training, but I wanted to research why oral and rectal delivery of drugs, or Vit-E, differ in their effectiveness. I thought I'd share my results in case anyone else is interested.

First-pass metabolism

Drugs absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract enter the portal venous blood and thus pass through the liver before entering the systemic circulation for delivery to the receptors. This is known as the first-pass hepatic metabolism and explains the reason for large differences between effective oral and intravenous doses in drugs that undergo extensive hepatic extraction and metabolism.

Rectal administration

The rectal route is a useful alternative to oral administration of analgesia, particularly if severe pain is accompanied by nausea and vomiting. Drugs administered into the proximal rectum are subjected to first-pass metabolism. However, drugs administered from a low rectal site reach the general circulation without first passing through the liver. The unpredictability of this route is largely explained by whether the drug passes through the liver or not. The slow and sometimes erratic absorption means that this route is not the ideal route for management of those in acute pain but is better suited for maintaining analgesia. Additionally, some drugs can cause irritation of the rectal mucosa.

transmucosal administration

The sublingual or buccal route offers some theoretical advantages for drug administration. Absorption occurs directly into the systemic circulation as there is no first pass metabolism. Thus this route of administration permits rapid onset of drug effect since it by-passes the liver.

A couple questions came to mind -
1. How are the tocepherols effected by the liver during
first pass?
2. Has anyone had success using vitamin-e sub-lingualy?
I've heard Dr. Peat recommends rubbing Progest-e on
your gums. Has anyone heard him recommend that for
other vitamins?

jyb

Blossom said:
I have thought about trying haidut's pregnenolone that way because I require such a large amount orally. Anyway, here is how I make suppositories:
You will need-
1. Double boiler

Is there a reason you used cocoa butter instead of coconut oil?

Topically, I've read testimonials (on this forum) that olive oil works better than coconut oil for skin absorption. For rectal route, I would imagine it matters less if it the medium take a little more time for absorption.

lindsay

Is the whole point of the rectal administration purely because of the mucosal membrane and absorption? Also, how does one make sure it doesn't just leak right back out? In my experience trying to use Progest-e vaginally (sorry if this is TMI), it didn't always stay put. I would imagine rectal administration would be the same if one isn't standing on one's head during administration.....

jyb

lindsay said:
Is the whole point of the rectal administration purely because of the mucosal membrane and absorption? Also, how does one make sure it doesn't just leak right back out? In my experience trying to use Progest-e vaginally (sorry if this is TMI), it didn't always stay put. I would imagine rectal administration would be the same if one isn't standing on one's head during administration.....

Then why do suppositories work so well?

I find vitamin E does bad things when taken orally (even high quality, mixed with oil, etc), tinnitus probably due to gut irritation, so rectal/topical administration of vitamins seems better. Rectal seems more practical than topical, especially for something oily.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
jyb said:
Blossom said:
You will need-
1. Double boiler

Is there a reason you used cocoa butter instead of coconut oil?

Topically, I've read testimonials (on this forum) that olive oil works better than coconut oil for skin absorption. For rectal route, I would imagine it matters less if it the medium take a little more time for absorption.
I used cocoa butter with vitamin A as a suppository because I had read somewhere that RP recommended it vaginally for menopausal changes in that area. I haven't needed it for quite a while but it helped in the beginning when I first stopped taking estrogen and had some dryness issues. I would used it before bed when it could be absorbed through out the night. I bet for rectal administration of vitamin E coconut oil would be fine too. Cocoa butter might melt a bit slower and give extra moisture for the context of why I was using the suppositories. I suppose that using a vitamin E rectal suppository might work best if the person administered it before bed and rested on their stomach for a little while but I haven't used a suppository in that manner so I have no personal experience to share. :P

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals