Recs for tx options for 4 year old newly DX ADD

4.5 year old male undergoing speech therapy for phonological processing disorder for one year with little progress. Didn’t start talking until 3.5 years old. Definition:

A phonological process disorder is a form of speech disorder in which there is difficulty organizing the patterns of sounds in the brain which results in an inability to correctly form the sounds of words. For example, this results in a child who may delete one or more sounds at the beginning of words (like “at” instead of “sat”) or only use one consonant in a word with a two-consonant sounds (“peak” instead of “speak”), or they may replace one letter sound with another.

Speech therapist states no further progress because child has ADD. Parent does not want to medicate. Does anyone have any suggestions?

JamesGatz

This might seem controversial to some on this forum but I don't believe ADD/ADHD is a real thing - I thought I had it because I was never able to focus before peating - this was when I was in a high serotonergic state - most of the time estrogenic state as well

Every person I've met in my life that told me they were "diagnosed with ADD/ADHD" also seemed to exhibit the serotonergic/estrogenic symptoms I had noticed.

I would test how he responds to the following:

Wearing a loose cap on his head (helps lower serotonin for me and helps me focus a lot better)
His response too little bit of the carrot salad if he can tolerate or
:
His response to the following:
a little bit of salted pineapple with coffee and milk after - this does a good job of cleaning up endotoxin and strongly reduces inflammatory/serotonergic symptoms in me at least

If his focus gets significantly better then I would say you might have the answer there

Diokine

One way to look at this is excessive glutamatergic excitation from the activity of the Locus Coeruleus / norepinephrine system. This can cause a desynchronization of the brain areas involved in speech and language processing, social stress and a difficulty looking at faces can contribute to difficulties in phonological processing.

Reducing LC/NE activity will be very helpful. Some natural approaches to this can be using diffusers with lavender or citrus essential oil, supplementing with limonene, ensuring sufficient intake of magnesium and calcium, and exposure to lots of sunlight.

If he tends towards diarrhea this can be further evidence of LC/NE hyperactivity, which can irritate the gut and will increase the activity of serotonin. Issues with methylation might be influencing adrenergic patterning and rhythms, it would be prudent to research this. Something like methylfolate, in addition to moderate doses of water solubles like B1 or B2 might be helpful. It's important to discuss this with health providers, finding a well informed doctor can be difficult.

Soothing, rocking, and physical contact are also extremely helpful at reducing LC/NE activity and reducing ACTH response to stress. I think it would also be helpful to encourage him to use his voice (not just with speech, noises in general) and not be critical of mistakes. If he is interested in noises, something like a small keyboard that plays tones that he can imitate can help with control of the vocal system.

If there is any exploration towards pharmaceutical remedy, I would recommend avoiding stimulant therapy. Central adrenergic agonists like clondine have good evidence of effect in lowering LC/NE hyperactivity.

Multisensory deficits in dyslexia may result from a locus coeruleus attentional network dysfunction

Regulation of vocal precision by local noradrenergic modulation of a motor nucleus

Peatful

As a mom and a clincian (not pediatric) -
I side more with James than your SLP.

Look at Einstein and other gifted boys.

He will need you to adjust your parenting. Especially if comparing him with ‘the norm’.

Ive been there with my youngest. She’s delightfully different- in the best of ways. And I have to adjust- and enjoy (as much as I can). A challenge- but an absolute joy.

On a more practical level- anything troubling his gut needs to be omitted. And him eating enough as well.
Abundant sunlight is extremely therapeutic for everyone- especially children.

somuch4food

There is a definite link to diet and environment and ADD and other brain issues. When changing my diet and reducing/increasing environment stressors, I can see how it affects the brain of me and my children. My experimentations match with what @Diokine has written.

Cleaning up the diet can help very much. Vagus nerve stimulation could also be helpful. I have yet to explore it though.

OP
GreenEyedBlonde
@JamesGatz , @somuch4food , @Peatful, @Diokine - thanks so much for your replies. Mb there is something more than ADD? His sleeping is odd for a 4 year old as he goes to bed at 9p and is up at 5a with multiple awakenings during the night, sometimes enuresis. He lives in an allergenic environment with 2 cats and a dog, home is in wooded area with tons of phragmites, and overflow pond from a river. He also has eczema and KP. Big milk drinker and loves any kind of dairy. Dislikes meat. Loves vegetables and only a few fruits. Does not eat much of anything though. He runs non-stop from 5am without a nap. The parents are exhausted and feel he does have some type of hyperactivity disorder.

Speech therapist diagnosed him ADD because of energy level and lack of focus. So…it may be her ‘go to’ diagnosis. Could this background info I have provided point to excess histamine as well as excess serotonin? I would hate to see him labeled and treated for something he does not have.

Your responses are helpful!

Peatful

Yes. Labeling- especially children, and for exhausted concerned parents- isn’t helpful.

If you go back and read your post: what stands out to you?

Eczema and KP are signs of gut irritation. And irregular sleep is a symptom of the same. Poor appetite- probably instinctively driven- will also disrupt deep restorative sleep.

It’s arduous- but really diagnosing his diet will solve quite a bit I suspect.
Not becoming restrictive- but methodical- to really solve the puzzle.

Tell mom and dad to hang in there.

I look forward to hearing what others say as well.

He’s a little trooper...not a sick child.

somuch4food

@JamesGatz , @somuch4food , @Peatful, @Diokine - thanks so much for your replies. Mb there is something more than ADD? His sleeping is odd for a 4 year old as he goes to bed at 9p and is up at 5a with multiple awakenings during the night, sometimes enuresis. He lives in an allergenic environment with 2 cats and a dog, home is in wooded area with tons of phragmites, and overflow pond from a river. He also has eczema and KP. Big milk drinker and loves any kind of dairy. Dislikes meat. Loves vegetables and only a few fruits. Does not eat much of anything though. He runs non-stop from 5am without a nap. The parents are exhausted and feel he does have some type of hyperactivity disorder.

Speech therapist diagnosed him ADD because of energy level and lack of focus. So…it may be her ‘go to’ diagnosis. Could this background info I have provided point to excess histamine as well as excess serotonin? I would hate to see him labeled and treated for something he does not have.

Your responses are helpful!
I currently have a 2 year old that still wakes up at night. I know the exhaustion that can come with it.

I would trial removing milk/dairy entirely from his diet. It has a similar negative effect on the behavior and attention of my oldest who is also 4 years old. He can tolerate some yogourt and cheese, but milk even in small quantities does seem to have negative effects.

Derrick Lonsdale's A Nutritional Approach to a Revised Model for Medicine is a good book to understand what is going with those unruly children. It mainly has to do with the cognitive brain being disconnected from the primitive brain. The children are running on instinct and impulses.

I would look into anything that helps with keeping adrenaline/cortisol in check. My kids do better with lots of salt in their diet and less fruit and sugar. There are also psychological aspects that can be used, but they are pretty much useless in cases where nutrition is inadequate for the child.

Lowering histamine does help in my family, but it also isn't the Holy Grail. The key is to identify the triggers in the diet and in the environment and remove them as much as possible all the while providing a diet that fits the need of the child.

Another thing that really helps my 4 year old is total screen abstinence. During one month, we cut all screens and he started to sleep better. We have resumed screens with much less frequency (once per day over the weekend) and have seen some regression, but nothing too major.

OP
GreenEyedBlonde
I currently have a 2 year old that still wakes up at night. I know the exhaustion that can come with it.

I would trial removing milk/dairy entirely from his diet. It has a similar negative effect on the behavior and attention of my oldest who is also 4 years old. He can tolerate some yogourt and cheese, but milk even in small quantities does seem to have negative effects.

Derrick Lonsdale's A Nutritional Approach to a Revised Model for Medicine is a good book to understand what is going with those unruly children. It mainly has to do with the cognitive brain being disconnected from the primitive brain. The children are running on instinct and impulses.

I would look into anything that helps with keeping adrenaline/cortisol in check. My kids do better with lots of salt in their diet and less fruit and sugar. There are also psychological aspects that can be used, but they are pretty much useless in cases where nutrition is inadequate for the child.

Lowering histamine does help in my family, but it also isn't the Holy Grail. The key is to identify the triggers in the diet and in the environment and remove them as much as possible all the while providing a diet that fits the need of the child.

Another thing that really helps my 4 year old is total screen abstinence. During one month, we cut all screens and he started to sleep better. We have resumed screens with much less frequency (once per day over the weekend) and have seen some regression, but nothing too major.
Will start with removing dairy which will be extremely difficult since he loves milk. What did you use as a replacement? I will check into the book recommendation. Thanks for your help.

somuch4food

Will start with removing dairy which will be extremely difficult since he loves milk. What did you use as a replacement? I will check into the book recommendation. Thanks for your help.
We get some oat milk that's not fortified otherwise I did not replace anything. I shifted to giving more of other types of food.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals