Recovery from alcohol

Velve921

I have not had a drink for almost 2 years. For the previous 15 years I averaged alcohol consumption 1x a week; drank to get drunk when I did. For many reasons I obviously feel better than ever now. But here’s my question.

if I consumed alcohol for 15 years, Is it reasonable to think that it can take many years to truly recover from the damage I went through from the previous 15? Obviously there are many variables. But from a general perspscfive, I’m intrigued to think about how my body is going to exponentially improve simply from no longer having alcohol in my lifestyle beyond these past 2 years.

thanks in advance for the feedback.

Korven

I think one thing to look out for with a history of binge drinking is vitamin B1 deficiency or beriberi. Here's one case study (Gastrointestinal Beriberi and Wernicke’s Encephalopathy Triggered by One Session of Heavy Drinking) where just 1 session of heavy drinking induced a severe form of beriberi which was only fixed with 1000 mg thiamine IV.

I believe I'm still suffering from the repercussions from years of alcohol abuse. If one night of binge drinking is enough to cause beriberi then my thiamine stores must have been running dangerously low. Repleting myself with high dose thiamine seems to help a bit with my symptoms.

ArtIt

I am not of the opinion that someone that has used alcohol for years, should entirely drop it. Just drinking one drink a day will be more beneficial. People develop losts of problems when quitting alcohol for ever. I think only people with family history of alcoholism should stay away from drinking. Statistically people who abused alcohol and started to drink only 1-2 units daily, live longer than people who abused alcohol and never drink again. I also think that RP point that drinking non colored spirits is beneficial is valid. Vodka or grappa are antimicrobial, antibacterial, and most likely kill even Covid-19 virus.

Perry Staltic

I wouldn't consider getting drunk one time a week alcohol abuse. 6 days per week to recover. The body can and does heal itself.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

Thanks for all the responses. Everyone brings a good perspective.

Frankdee20

Been a problem drinker since 2005, off and on.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
When I was maybe 15, I started smoking but not inhaling the smoke, and my parents found out. So I had to see my dad. He asked me whether that smoking was a stupid thing to do or not and I thought ‘yes, that was stupid’, then he asked whether I would do it again and I thought ‘why would I repeat something stupid?’ So I said ‘No’. Then he said ‘oh, by the way, I was once drunk and didn’t enjoy it’, and I thought ‘ok, I can skip that, too!’ So I was never drunk once in my life. And I have little tolerance regarding alcohol, I get dizzy and tired and want to sleep after more than a glass of wine but it depends if it is a long evening or if this is part of a larger meal. I now barely drink any alcohol at all although I like a glass of wine, I don’t like the effect of the alcohol in it. Same with beer. I also won’t sleep well after drinking a glass of wine or a bottle of beer. I somewhat miss it but I can live without it. I think my liver is ok, though.

The liver can regenerate but I someone is hooked to alcohol, this is difficult to get rid off. I read that the late Dr. Robert C. Beck had developed an electrical pulser that clips to the ear lobes and can help with addiction. These pulsed are sold by the Canadian company Sota:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals