Recovering From A Night Of Drinking

AnonE

What are the most effective ways to recover from a night of drinking? Especially supplement related.

I'm basically doing the multivitamin equivalent, focusing on higher dose water solubles (B complex, C) and each of the major minerals (magnesium, calcium, zinc, selenium) and trying to find a reasonable way to get other electrolytes (potassium mainly).

Thoughts, ideas, action plans you've used?

Layne

I've recently read that sodium thiosulfate can detox a number of heavy metals, detox various "phenols" that make people chemically sensitive, and can also help alleviate hangovers because of how it increases detoxification capabilities. The body's main detoxification enzyme is glutathione, which is a sulfar-based compound. -- I just started taking it today, and am curious how my body will react to it in the coming days/weeks.

Runenight201

I’ve turned a hangover around through vociferous orange juice consumption. That plus aspirin is really all that I think is necessary to go from feeling like ***t to functional.

Piridoxine pidolate aka Metadoxine. Period.

Metadoxine - Wikipedia
Metadoxine, also known as pyridoxine-pyrrolidone carboxylate, is a drug used to treat chronic and acute alcohol intoxication.[1] Metadoxine accelerates alcohol clearance from the blood.[2]
Metadoxine is a selective antagonist of the serotonin receptor subtype 5-HT2B and displays high affinity to the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) transporter. In vitro enzymatic assay revealed that metadoxine reduced the activity of the GABA transaminase enzyme, responsible for the degradation of GABA. Electrophysiological studies also showed that metadoxine increased inhibitory GABAergic synaptic transmission via a presynaptic effect. As it does not affect dopamine, norepinephrine or serotonin levels, metadoxine displays a novel mechanism of action as a monoamine-independent GABA modulator.[9

tankasnowgod

Short term, lots of orange juice works great for me. As does aspirin. The B and C vitamins also seem to work pretty good too.

I have used Haidut's Cardenosine, and it does seem to prevent hangover issues, if used pre-drinking. I haven't used it post drinking, but haven't needed to recently.

Longer term, I think anything that supports improved Liver Function and metabolism will help you recover quicker. That could be cardenosine, or any of the ingredients in it, caffeine, methylene blue, K2, niacinamide, and vitamin E (especially E Succinate).

Oh, and a period of detox, where you abstain from drinking, and some of the problematic foods, like starch. I happen to be doing that right now.

BlueEyeWolf

Forum Supporter
I like to prepare prior to drinking and taking b vitamins especially b-12 with extra water helps me.

OP
A

AnonE

Hey guys wanted to post a short personal success story. Had way too much (white) wine last night, very out of the ordinary, and apparently I don't tolerate it well.

Anyways I get home at 1am, feel awful, massive headache and breathing hard. Ok, alcohol drains nutrients and makes me dehydrated. So water, B vitamins, and minerals. Try and nap. An hour later, still feeling awful, same symptoms pretty much.

Then I remember one of you said something about OJ. What the hell, I'm feeling so bad I might call a friend to come over and take care of me for the night. So I gulp at least a half liter of OJ and.... almost instant relief, like 2 mins later. Heart and breathing calm down quickly. Headache starts to subside. Go to the washroom again and now I can finally close my eyes and sleep.

I think low potassium is definitely a thing, especially for people like me who usually ingest lots of caffeine and workout regularly. Drinking maybe put it all over the edge.

Inaut

ACV.... @Travis wrote about the acetobacter in the vinegar that breaks alcohol down...I've actually tested this out many times and it works quite well. I take some vinegar before, during (provided I'm at a location where I can get some vinegar and its not awkward) and after my night of binging and I wake up with nearly zero hang over effects.

Preventative measures are much more effective. I have found taking a tablespoon of olive oil before drinking to be very helpful. My guess is any high monounsaturated fat before drinking would be good, as it blunts the ability for lps to pass through the gut. NAC and thiamine before and just after drinking is great too. Limonene and TMG are also great. Vitamin c is helpful. Activated charcoal is alright too.

As for hangovers: high dose thiamine, aspirin, caffeine, plenty of salt / magnesium / potassium. High dose vitamin c. Sweating helps a little too. Once the damage is done though there is not a lot one can do to repair things in the short-term.

Having a small amount of alcohol can help a hangover a lot too. No more than one drink though.

NAC may be the most effective preventative I know, but taking it once you are already hungover is not effective and in fact can make things worse.

Last edited:

Runenight201

Hey guys wanted to post a short personal success story. Had way too much (white) wine last night, very out of the ordinary, and apparently I don't tolerate it well.

Anyways I get home at 1am, feel awful, massive headache and breathing hard. Ok, alcohol drains nutrients and makes me dehydrated. So water, B vitamins, and minerals. Try and nap. An hour later, still feeling awful, same symptoms pretty much.

Then I remember one of you said something about OJ. What the hell, I'm feeling so bad I might call a friend to come over and take care of me for the night. So I gulp at least a half liter of OJ and.... almost instant relief, like 2 mins later. Heart and breathing calm down quickly. Headache starts to subside. Go to the washroom again and now I can finally close my eyes and sleep.

I think low potassium is definitely a thing, especially for people like me who usually ingest lots of caffeine and workout regularly. Drinking maybe put it all over the edge.

That’s wassup glad to see my recommendation came in use lol. I pretty much had the same experience. Feeling awful to normal after ingestión of oj.

That stuff is awesome.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals