Recommended Levothyroxine Dose For Mom W/Thyroid Removed

torontomike

Hey everyone, this inquiry is on behalf of my mother who is turning 80 this summer. She had her thyroid removed almost 30 years ago and she gets different recommendations from her family doctor than she gets from her thyroid doctor. Does anyone have a dosage guide that goes by weight, as per how much Levothyroxine she should be taking? Thanks!

lampofred

I think these kinds of questions are ones you should email Peat himself about. It's a life and death situation which ordinary people will know nothing about

DrJ

From what Dr. Peat says, pure T4 (levothyroxine) may not be the solution if the liver is also having difficulties, since the liver is the main organ for turning T4 into the active form of thyroid, T3. If you cannot turn T4 into T3 well, then T4 will not be very effective. It may not be the same, but my 10 year old dog had low T3, was prescribed levothyroxine, but had clear indicators of liver problems, and (not surprisingly) the levothyroxine did not improve his T3 levels. I changed his diet to more sugar, a higher calcium to phosphate ratio, and less muscle meats (plus glycine, a tiny bit of aspirin, and a tiny bit of taurine) to unburden his liver, and his thyroid (T3) levels came back to normal even after quitting the levothyroxine. Just something to consider, and it couldn't hurt to ask the doctor about a prescription providing both T3 and T4 in an appropriate ratio (like NDT) since I'm guessing that at 80 years old her liver may not be operating at the same level as in youth.

OP
T

torontomike

Thanks for your input friends! My mother is not having any liver issues, she is in otherwise great health and I believe the 1.5μg /Kg is a good ratio as that is what I have come across in my research, 1.3 μg/Kg seems a bit low, thank you kindly @Makaveli :)

alywest

Thanks for your input friends! My mother is not having any liver issues, she is in otherwise great health and I believe the 1.5μg /Kg is a good ratio as that is what I have come across in my research, 1.3 μg/Kg seems a bit low, thank you kindly @Makaveli :)

How is your mother doing on the levothyroxine alone? I've never been able to take just levo and get good results without adding some t3 as well. But you never know, I guess! Also, have you considered some progesterone?