- calcium
- gelatin/ collagen / glucosamin/chondroitin
- DHEA
- Taurine
- Magnesium/ potassium
- Selenium / Zinc/ Copper
- Propolis/ royal jelly/ pollen

Thank you

Sure. Practitioners post these things all the time. But if you really eat say, a lot of milk and cheese, do you really need to supplement calcium??

YourUniverse

- ADEK and BC vitamins
Once weekly liver, ~100g or so.
Milk, eggs, orange juice daily.

- calcium
Milk, I think Ray said something to the effect of 1.5g daily (and the Massai have 5g+), in a favourable ratio with phosphorus.

Oxtail, chicken/pig foot stews, can be enjoyed daily. Ray said adults can get the majority of their protein (80g+) from gelatin and be healthy. I think ground beef has some gelatin.

Unsure, I think less is more. I havent looked deeply into DHEA but it is linked to Alzheimers as I recall, I think a few mg daily, max (please look into this yourself).

- Taurine
Found in shellfish, liver.

- Magnesium/ potassium
Fruits, tubers, milk

Liver, eggs, oysters, milk.

No idea, sorry

catharsis

Hello everyone

I would like to have the recommanded daily Doses and the best sources of :
- ADEK and BC vitamins
- calcium
- DHEA
- Taurine
- Magnesium/ potassium

Thank you
Hey Lilly_Po,

All of these are highly dependent on your gender, daily activity levels, basal metabolic rate (with or without supplemental thyroid), and your nutritional or health goals. Please do your own research but I will give, what I remember off the top of my head, good ratios for these things.

Vitamin A/D ratio should be about 5:1 in terms of iu dosage. How much you supplement can change depending on your liver intake, butter, milk, eggs, and sun exposure. There's other factors involved including your own symptoms.

Calcium should at least be 1000mg a day if not higher. Milk and hard cheeses are good sources but the Calcium/Phosphate ratio is more important. Keep PTH down.

Gelatin doesn't have a recommended daily intake but I have seen Ray talk about up to 50% or 30% of your daily protein can be from gelatin. Some people get allergenic symptoms from collagen or gelatin so please experiment around with brand and type. Great Lakes is pretty good. Same with Anthony's Collagen.

DHEA in general doesn't need to be supplemented. Pregnenolone should be supplemented (100mg a day is good but rely on your symptoms, not broad advice). DHEA in low doses is good for males, maybe 3 times a day 5mg (to keep estrogen conversion down).

You can go pretty high dosage on Taurine but it will give you some negative GI effects if you are not sufficient in it to begin with. Sedation is common too. Try 1g with every meal or so. It's really helpful but play around with brands too. Ask for a CoA (Certificate of Analysis) for heavy metal content.

Magnesium should be at least 400mg a day if not more. This amount is dependent on your calcium intake, salt intake, general health and thyroid status, etc. B1 should be supplemented with magnesium as well. Try Magnesium Malate or Glycinate. Magnesium Chloride or Sulfate topically are good too but be wary of acid/base balance (i.e. get your calcium and citrate sources in).

Potassium is very abundant so it's hard to be deficient in it. Milk, OJ, and potatoes are good sources.

Zinc/Copper ratio I have seen should be 10:1 in terms of mg dosage. You should get enough Zn from shellfish, oysters, or red meat. Copper is found in chocolate and in liver.

Selenium can be found in a good quality multivitamin like Thorne's 2 a day. Eat maybe 2 Brazil nuts a day for additional selenium.

You don't really need royal jelly or pollen. If you're looking for a stereotypical "health food", look into raw cacao and spirulina/chlorella tablets.

PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. This should be the start of your health journey.

OP
L

Lilly_Po

Milk, I think Ray said something to the effect of 1.5g daily (and the Massai have 5g+), in a favourable ratio with phosphorus.

Oxtail, chicken/pig foot stews, can be enjoyed daily. Ray said adults can get the majority of their protein (80g+) from gelatin and be healthy. I think ground beef has some gelatin.

Unsure, I think less is more. I havent looked deeply into DHEA but it is linked to Alzheimers as I recall, I think a few mg daily, max (please look into this yourself).

Fruits, tubers, milk

No idea, sorry
Thank you so much

Jam

2 medium brazil nuts equates to 2.3g of linoleic acid. If you do dairy and meat/fish, you'll get more than enough selenium.

BearWithMe

2 medium brazil nuts equates to 2.3g of linoleic acid. If you do dairy and meat/fish, you'll get more than enough selenium.
I eat dairy and organ meats almost exclusively, and I'm not getting enough selenium

Jam

I eat dairy and organ meats almost exclusively, and I'm not getting enough selenium
Maybe add some eggs? 2 eggs are roughly 50% the RDA of selenium.

Jam

I automatically reach 50% RDA with just 1L goat milk and 50g of parmesan, which are daily staples. I then easily break through 100% depending on the animal products I eat... eggs, ground beef, cod, sardines, prosciutto, steak, or liver, are all loaded with selenium.

Fllora

Hey Lilly_Po,

All of these are highly dependent on your gender, daily activity levels, basal metabolic rate (with or without supplemental thyroid), and your nutritional or health goals. Please do your own research but I will give, what I remember off the top of my head, good ratios for these things.

Vitamin A/D ratio should be about 5:1 in terms of iu dosage. How much you supplement can change depending on your liver intake, butter, milk, eggs, and sun exposure. There's other factors involved including your own symptoms.

Calcium should at least be 1000mg a day if not higher. Milk and hard cheeses are good sources but the Calcium/Phosphate ratio is more important. Keep PTH down.

Gelatin doesn't have a recommended daily intake but I have seen Ray talk about up to 50% or 30% of your daily protein can be from gelatin. Some people get allergenic symptoms from collagen or gelatin so please experiment around with brand and type. Great Lakes is pretty good. Same with Anthony's Collagen.

DHEA in general doesn't need to be supplemented. Pregnenolone should be supplemented (100mg a day is good but rely on your symptoms, not broad advice). DHEA in low doses is good for males, maybe 3 times a day 5mg (to keep estrogen conversion down).

You can go pretty high dosage on Taurine but it will give you some negative GI effects if you are not sufficient in it to begin with. Sedation is common too. Try 1g with every meal or so. It's really helpful but play around with brands too. Ask for a CoA (Certificate of Analysis) for heavy metal content.

Magnesium should be at least 400mg a day if not more. This amount is dependent on your calcium intake, salt intake, general health and thyroid status, etc. B1 should be supplemented with magnesium as well. Try Magnesium Malate or Glycinate. Magnesium Chloride or Sulfate topically are good too but be wary of acid/base balance (i.e. get your calcium and citrate sources in).

Potassium is very abundant so it's hard to be deficient in it. Milk, OJ, and potatoes are good sources.

Zinc/Copper ratio I have seen should be 10:1 in terms of mg dosage. You should get enough Zn from shellfish, oysters, or red meat. Copper is found in chocolate and in liver.

Selenium can be found in a good quality multivitamin like Thorne's 2 a day. Eat maybe 2 Brazil nuts a day for additional selenium.

You don't really need royal jelly or pollen. If you're looking for a stereotypical "health food", look into raw cacao and spirulina/chlorella tablets.

PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. This should be the start of your health journey.
Nice synopsis, Catharsis. I'd just add fruit to the Potassium list.

BearWithMe

Is there anything Peaty that we can add a bit extra into our diet to boost selenium?
Yes, eggs, as @Jam have said. I'm unable to digest eggs, so I'm just trying to improve my thyroid function and hope that my body will absorb / retain more selenium than it would normally do

BearWithMe

It is exactly the other way around. Pregnenolone f**ks people up more often than not, especially men, but also women. DHEA is super safe and well tolerated, and have many amazing benefits.

I would not supplement taurine because again, taurine f**ks people up more often than not. Especially in the long term. But if you really want to, do it outside meals, on empty stomach. Taking it with food equals not taking it at all, since it is amino acid and it cometes for absorbtion with other amino acids.

Ray Peat is against magnesium supplementation because it causes intestinal irritation, inflammation, rise in histamine and nitric oxide

Eat maybe 2 Brazil nuts a day for additional selenium.
Brazil nuts are super unreliable source of selenium. Some doesn't contain any at all. But they do contain antinutrients, mold toxins and pufa

I'd take pollen over raw cacao or spirulina/chlorella at any day. Raw cacao is basically undigestable. Combine that with its insane fiber content and you are in for a digestive disaster. Spirulina/chlorella also indigestible, insanely high in iron and heavy metals...

BearWithMe

Fruits, tubers, milk

No idea, sorry
This is the correct answer

catharsis

It is exactly the other way around. Pregnenolone f**ks people up more often than not, especially men, but also women. DHEA is super safe and well tolerated, and have many amazing benefits.

I would not supplement taurine because again, taurine f**ks people up more often than not. Especially in the long term. But if you really want to, do it outside meals, on empty stomach. Taking it with food equals not taking it at all, since it is amino acid and it cometes for absorbtion with other amino acids.

Ray Peat is against magnesium supplementation because it causes intestinal irritation, inflammation, rise in histamine and nitric oxide

Brazil nuts are super unreliable source of selenium. Some doesn't contain any at all. But they do contain antinutrients, mold toxins and pufa

I'd take pollen over raw cacao or spirulina/chlorella at any day. Raw cacao is basically undigestable. Combine that with its insane fiber content and you are in for a digestive disaster. Spirulina/chlorella also indigestible, insanely high in iron and heavy metals...
Hey BearWithMe,

I have read that Pregnenolone has very little toxic side-effects and experienced this as well. I agree with you that men typically have problems with pregnenolone due to possibly lowering androgens through higher progesterone; but this is beneficial metabolically, not necessarily androgenically (if that is a word?). There were some mentionings on this forum about DHEA being higher in the brains of Alzheimer's Patients. I am not sure where I can link the source for this previous statement but certainly the estrogenic side of DHEA supplementation would caution me from going high daily doses. It would be interesting to compare peoples' negative reactions of DHEA to the same of Pregnenolone.

I've seen a lot of good responses from Taurine, increasing metabolism, increasing digestibility, improving the cardiovascular system, lowering inflammation, increasing absorption of certain substances and compounds, etc. Taurine is not an amino acid. It's similar to an isolated amino acid due to its primary amine group but has a sulfonate group instead of a carboxylate group. It's actually similar to glycine in a lot of ways; I have not studied Taurine neuropharmacology extensively but I know there's some glycine/taurine compound or receptor interaction (it is also worth mentioning their use in the formation of bile acids, necessary for digesting fats and lipophilic compounds).

I have not seen that RP quote before but it makes sense in the case of oral magnesium supplementation. If you get these GI distress symptoms, try transdermal magnesium supplementation like MgCl2 (Magnesium Chloride) or MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulfate, aka epsom salt).

Why would you take pollen or royal jelly? I've seen some benefits of cacao in terms of lowering GI inflammation (microbiome modulation), being a good source of magnesium, improving cardiovascular health, increasing muscle gains (inhibiting Myostatin), etc. The aluminum and cadmium content of cacao powder is concerning to me and the rise in NO can be concerning as well (I think it doesn't go above control levels in some studies, might be fine).

Cracked cell wall Spirulina/Chlorella is easily digestible. It does have high iron levels for its mass but you don't take more than 3g at a time, you can take more and you can take less. My brand has 0.8mg of Iron (6% of DV) per 2g serving of tablets. For comparison sake, one serving of ground beef (often prized for stearic acid and SFA, cholesterol, micronutrient, and protein content) is about 4oz and that has about 2.36mg of iron. Point is that you can take as much or as little as you want but the Iron content is relatively minute compared to the Iron content of meals and meats.

Spirulina and Chlorella do accumulate heavy metals, that is why you should ask for a CoA before you buy any supplement. They help detox and remove these things from the body if you have stored heavy metals. I am surprised you didn't mention the GLA content of Spirulina/Chlorella, that might be the worst offender in these "algae".

Supplemental Selenium could work but I'm not sure what would be a good form. My multivitamin (Thorne's 2 a day) works well for me and uses the L-selenomethionine form. PUFA consumption is a concern but I am not sure if you will be able to hit optimum selenium intake (might need more if thyroid function is higher) or even RDA from just diet alone or no Brazil nuts.