Recommendations For Indoor Air Filter?

lampofred

I live in a big city, and I just realized how much dust, chemicals, carbon monoxide, smog I am exposed to daily. Also have been noticing mold growing on my windowsills. Does anyone have any recommendations for a powerful air filter that will take care of that?

I know for EMF testing, the Trifield meter is kind of a "go-to", so I was wondering if there is any similar, pretty unanimously regarded best-in-its-class product for air filters.

Would be good if the filter could also generate negative ions (but without ozone), but not an issue if it can't.

Thanks for reading.

achillea

The real good ones are ridiculously expensive. Austin air about $400 and replacement filters are 1/2 that.

We bought a Lasko 20 inch box fan for $16,00 and a 20 x20 furnace filer I believe a R13 from Filter Buy and tape it to the air in side of the fan. The filter removes spores, dust etc and you can see the filter so you can change it as often as you wish for about $8 per filter. It is very effective and acts like a noise machine at the same time.

Hope this helps. We have been doing it for a couple of years now and are pleasantly pleased.

achillea

Takes out 90% of .3 micron particles with a cheap filter. What would it do with at MERV 13

I use an inexpensive HEPA filter. It has a charcoal prefilter. The paper filters last maybe 6 - 9 months.

I may also pick up another ionizer. One problem with them is they tend to cause the ions to discolor the painted walls of your room.

OP
L

lampofred

Love the DIY ideas, but won't having a fan always on be loud? Would commercial options make just as much noise?

On the commercial side, three things I've found that seem to be well-reviewed are the IonPacific Ionbox, the Ivation 2-in-1 purifier, and the Ivation 5-in-1 air purifier. Not sure if anyone has any experience with these. The Ionbox is really small but also really cool because it is portable and USB powered, whereas the Ivation 5-in-1 is pretty expensive but is well-reviewed and seems to be a heavy duty, all-in-one purifying tool.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but won't plants lower CO2...

Last edited:

LUH 3417

Actually ya it seems plants do reduce co2

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1bd6/11a293f255864ecddc5aa7a7fb0da39d9767.pdf

The quality of the indoor environment significantly affected our health. The research indicated that 189 pots of Bird's-Nest Fern could reduce the concentration of CO2 from 2000ppm to 1000ppm in 2hr 6min from 600ppm to in 5hr 37min of test C: With plants (with light, night). Bird's-Nest Fern could keep the room to a certain temperature and increase the humidity by 10%RH. In average, the efficiency of CO2 adsorption was 1.38ppm/hr each plant. The indoor temperature decreased to 2.5 ℃ and relative humidity increased about 2~4%. The 48 average transpiration rate of Bird's-Nest Fern was 78 mmol/ (m²*s). This indicated that the longer acclimation time was, the better effect plants achieved. Also, though at night, the photosynthesis of plants continued as long as there was light. Conversion of the total absorption by 189 pots of Bird's-Nest Fern: Absorption of CO2: 2000ppm-600ppm=1400ppm 1400/5.37= 260.7ppm/hr 260.7/189=1.3794≒1.38ppm/hr Indoor plants could not only decorate the indoor spaces, release of pressure and tiredness, they could improve the quality of indoor air condition and reduce the pollutants in the air. This study showed that indoor plants can also contribute to lowering the temperature through better transpiration rate potentially.

achillea

Love the DIY ideas, but won't having a fan always on be loud? Would commercial options make just as much noise?

On the commercial side, three things I've found that seem to be well-reviewed are the IonPacific Ionbox, the Ivation 2-in-1 purifier, and the Ivation 5-in-1 air purifier. Not sure if anyone has any experience with these. The Ionbox is really small but also really cool because it is portable and USB powered, whereas the Ivation 5-in-1 is pretty expensive but is well-reviewed and seems to be a heavy duty, all-in-one purifying tool.

Look up Allergy Club on the net. They have ratings in air puifiers

Can't believe I'm saying this, but won't plants lower CO2...

OP
L

lampofred

Found two products that seemed interesting:

1) Negative ion generator and DustGrabber™ combination ionizer -- more focused on negative ions but also reduces allergens, smoke and purifies air via those ions
2) Surround Air Intelli-Pro Air Purifier -- strongly focused on air purification but also has ions, apparently the carbon filter can remove chemicals and gases that only ions cannot

These cover much less square footage than the Ivation above though, and the Ivation can even make ozone...

@Dan Wich Have you used products from negativeiongenerators.com? Would you recommend them?

Last edited:

Dan W

@Dan Wich Have you used products from negativeiongenerators.com? Would you recommend them?
Yes, I have the one with a single metal plate (I forget which model that is). I'm happy with it as an negative ion generator (the replaceable/trimmable emitter works out much cheaper than any other brand I found), but I'm guessing it probably won't do all the other kinds of air purification people might want. It does grab a ton of dust though.