Recommendations For Hormone Testing And Labs

x-ray peat

Hi, I am a interested in checking my hormone levels and am not sure which ones I should get and which lab is the most reliable.
any suggestions?

Last edited:
OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

I understand that RP thinks that saliva tests can be unreliable. Is anyone familiar with ZRT blood spot tests? Is there a better lab anyone can recommend.

Queequeg

I am no expert but would suggest a full blood draw as opposed to a spot test. The Sex Hormones I think you would like to know are:
Estradiol (E2) and/or estrone (E1)
Progesterone
SHBG
Testosterone Free
Testosterone Total
DHEAS
and maybe 17-Hydroxyprogesterone

Dan W

Prolactin might be interesting to add to the list.

and which lab is the most reliable.
As far as the actual lab doing the testing, I've seen a few comments about LabCorp being more reliable than Quest, though I imagine either are probably fine most of the time. Of the sellers I'm most familiar with, LEF uses LabCorp, Walk-in-lab now has a choice of either, and DirectLabs is now Quest-only.

TheDrumGuy

I use ultalabs.com, which contracts with Quest. Quest and Labcorp are commonly used by doctors so they can't be too bad.

Waynish

There are so many: so far I've used directlabs, discountedlabs, walkinlab... Any idea if one stands above the rest? Some doctors, like Datis Kharrazian, claim to have access to more accurate/modern testing - but will rarely state specifics.

Dan W

There are so many: so far I've used directlabs, discountedlabs, walkinlab... Any idea if one stands above the rest?
For any of the regular tests, those all just go to either LabCorp or Quest for the analysis, so I think they're pretty interchangeable.

Some doctors, like Datis Kharrazian, claim to have access to more accurate/modern testing - but will rarely state specifics.
Do you know what sorts of tests they are? I googled him and it came up with some allergy testing that I think is IgG-based, which is probably overhyped. It does go to a special lab though, so I guess it's exclusive in a way.