Recipe For Liver - Anyone?

Sunjoy

Does anyone have a tasty Peaty recipe for liver? I've never liked onions but do love garlic.

Could really use help here as I've never cooked it before in my life but remember not hating it as a kid but not loving it either.

I think I just need to know how to cook it so it doesn't taste like shoe leather and I'll be fine. ;)

Even my 13 year old is up for trying it! She's become Peat inspired too.

J

j.

My way (the lazy way) is this:

Soak in milk (in the fridge) for 2 hours.
Fry in butter 2 minutes each side.
Eat.

The amount of time needed to be cooked might vary depending on how thick the meat is. I typically add two more minutes if it isn't well cooked.

I think there is a lazier way: buy pate. The disadvantage of this method is that it has more fat.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Zanjabil

Soak in milk drain
Coat in seasoned starch/flour of choice( rice, masa harina,.etc)
Fry in coconut oil (pan fry) till golden brown and crispy
Grate garlic on top when close to done and stir it in
Enjoy :)

OP
S

Sunjoy

Zanjabil said:
Soak in milk drain
Coat in seasoned starch/flour of choice( rice, masa harina,.etc)
Fry in coconut oil (pan fry) till golden brown and crispy
Grate garlic on top when close to done and stir it in
Enjoy :)

Thanks everyone!

This one sounds yummy although I've no clue about masa harina and don't have rice flour either but I'll certainly try it.

May even fry onions to crisp as I like them if they are really crispy. It's always been a texture thing with me and onions.

Special thanks Charlie for the thread. I honestly did go looking first before putting out my request. :mrgreen:

OP
S

Sunjoy

Primal2Peat said:
Raw.

Sometimes I let it "cook" in raw apple cider vinegar.

Wow, seriously? Not sure I could handle that texturally.

Maybe try little a bite though before I cook it tomorrow. :mrgreen:

John Eels

I get the liver cut into strips. I fry it in butter and spice it with salt, black pepper and some tabasco sauce.

OP
S

Sunjoy

Cool beans! I cooked liver and onions tonight and wow, it was good. I must confess though that the best part was the fried onions and butter and I soaked the liver in milk all day.

Liver has a unique taste and while I don't think it has any hope of ever making my list of my favorite foods, it's certainly something I will add to my diet every week or two.

Thanks for all the recipe ideas. I didn't get the nerve to take a bit of it raw but I did leave it pinkish in the center.

Cheers!

HDD

Are chicken livers ok to eat? I think they taste a little better and I have a store nearby that sells better quality chicken products.

chris

Haagendazendiane said:
Are chicken livers ok to eat? I think they taste a little better and I have a store nearby that sells better quality chicken products.

Probably fine, although higher in PUFA than lamb and beef liver, according to cronometer.

Isadora

Chicken liver is excellent and it can be cooked in many ways.

Veal liver is very good, too...

Beef liver I find the most difficult to cook. The best I have ever had was in Beijing -- it looked like a very simple affair, big slices of liver, big slices of onions and some soy sauce. I tried to replicate that but never really managed to. I'll keep at it and let you know.

Another thing you may want to try is a Balkan stew, involving liver and hearts of your animals of choice. Also, kidneys, for the adventurous. You cut them into small, bite size portions and cook them in a skillet with butter, onions and paprika, then add a few tomatoes or tomato concentrate, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley. Some instant mashed potatoes on the side and voila! You may replace potatoes with polenta as a side dish if you accept corn in your diet.

Beebop

Liver pate/broth improver:

Chopped lamb's liver into small slices, pan fried quickly - 1 minute on each side.
Fried two large onions until sweet and caramelized
Fried some mushrooms
Added lots of butter, CO, salt, and some sugar, kept adding these ingredients until it tasted 'right'

Blended with hand blender - hey presto!

You could just eat it as pate, but instead I added two spoonfuls of it to my bone broth every day and it made it the tastiest, most delicious broth I've ever had. I also tried adding some passata to this pate/broth concoction and this was also completely delicious.

Did not taste like liver.

p.s. onion, mushroom etc could be ommitted

montmorency

I just fry it very lightly in butter, coconut oil or beef dripping (whatever I have in). I make sure that all the outside has changed colour, then stop cooking as soon as possible. Overcooked liver is awful.

I always try to have it with some other meat, e.g. bacon, minced beef, steak of some sort, or lamb chop, and topped off with a lightly fried egg.

I almost always have lambs liver. I believe that (given our modern world), the sheep is still the most "naturally" reared animal available, at least here (England). Still plenty of sheep out there nibbling grass in the fields.

(I don't eat huge amounts of bacon, but it's nice now and again; beef and lamb are my meats of choice).

Jenn

Here in the US, some lamb is entirely grain fed. The larger farmers wean the lambs straight to grain by 6 weeks and only let the mothers eat grass after the lambs are pulled. Lamb is butchered young enough they can get away with it. Beef still has access to grass for the first 5-7 month at least.

I raise my own or don't eat it it for the most part.

montmorency

Jenn said:
Here in the US, some lamb is entirely grain fed. The larger farmers wean the lambs straight to grain by 6 weeks and only let the mothers eat grass after the lambs are pulled. Lamb is butchered young enough they can get away with it. Beef still has access to grass for the first 5-7 month at least.

I raise my own or don't eat it it for the most part.

That sort of thing probably goes on here as well unfortunately, and I may be kidding myself because I can see sheep in the fields from time to time.

I did ask one seller at a farmer's market what they did in winter, and he said they had to give them grain, because even if they went out and ate in the field, they wouldn't be getting sufficient nutrition from the grass at that time of year.

Pretty cool that you can raise your own though! (at least some of the time).

Mittir

Beebop said:

Chopped lamb's liver into small slices, pan fried quickly - 1 minute on each side.
Fried some mushrooms
Added lots of butter, CO, salt, and some sugar, kept adding these ingredients until it tasted 'right'

You could just eat it as pate, but instead I added two spoonfuls of it to my bone broth every day and it made it the tastiest, most delicious broth I've ever had. I also tried adding some passata to this pate/broth concoction and this was also completely delicious.

I was looking for a liver pate recipe and tried this without mushrooms.
I added some chilli sauce and honey instead of sugar. I was extremely surprised.
It does not taste like liver. It taste wonderful.
I used wheat crackers, next time i will try with rice crackers.
I think simplicity of the recipe and addition of honey made a big difference.
People who don't find liver appetizing can try this recipe.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Mittir said:
Beebop said:

Fried some mushrooms

I was looking for a liver pate recipe and tried this without mushrooms.
I added some chilli sauce and honey instead of sugar. I was extremely surprised.
It does not taste like liver. It taste wonderful.
I used wheat crackers, next time i will try with rice crackers.
I think simplicity of the recipe and addition of honey made a big difference.
People who don't find liver appetizing can try this recipe.
Edward and Sons makes a simple rice cracker called Brown rice snaps that are only rice flour and water for the ingredients and they are organic too. I just thought I'd pass that along since it is sometimes hard to find crackers without numerous stomach upsetting ingredients(for me anyway). They usually have them at most health food retailers.

Philomath

One thing I've not read here is HOW to fry liver. I was always over-cooking it which gives it that heavy metallic/liver taste and "grainy" texture. My dad, a former chef, said it should be cooked like a pancake... Just a minute or two on each side. It should be pink on the inside but not purple.
This is easier to accomplish when the liver is evenly sliced.
It's amazing how much better it tastes. Saute in butter, add salt, garlic and onion.... much better!

If you float it in butter it will stay creamy.