Recipe For Liver - Anyone?

Birdie

I love calve's liver sautéed a la Peat in butter.
It's the prep, the smell, the mess !
Keeps me from having liver more often.

heartnhands

Here in the US, some lamb is entirely grain fed. The larger farmers wean the lambs straight to grain by 6 weeks and only let the mothers eat grass after the lambs are pulled. Lamb is butchered young enough they can get away with it. Beef still has access to grass for the first 5-7 month at least.

I raise my own or don't eat it it for the most part.

Your pictures are so lovely....I was a vegetarian for many years but found it became too difficult with all the low thyroid and other limitations....So wish all animals were raised with love and led to the table with gentleness. I wish being vegetarian was optimal but clearly, for me, it's not. You are an inspiration.

Birdie

This chicken liver pate is the only one I have made that I don't need to use mustard to disguise the liver taste. I substituted 1 Tbsp of capers (as a reviewer had done) for the green peppercorns and used a small amount of ground thyme instead of fresh. The brandy gives it a slight sweet flavor which is very nice.

Chicken Liver Pate: Terrine de Foies de Volaille : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network
That sounds delicious. I keep a little bottle of brandy in the pantry and do like to use it.:bouquet:

tara

SQu

I'd also like to know!
I ran out of sherry that gives a basic chicken liver pate a nice sweetness, and used a fig balsamic vinegar that was hanging around gathering dust instead and it was very nice.

HDD

Sounds delicious.
I've been wondering for some time ... how much is a stick of butter?

1 stick = 1/2 cup or 8 Tbsp butter

I bought the brandy to use in pate but I could not taste it in the other recipes I made. I was pleasantly surprised. A family member thought it was the capers that gave it the nice flavor.

Last edited:

heartnhands

I love calve's liver sautéed a la Peat in butter.
It's the prep, the smell, the mess !
Keeps me from having liver more often.

The prep can be limited to one pitcher if you have a vitamix blender. At one setting the thing heats up to simmer or boiling. You might just add butter, liver, salt, blend and pour over any other ingriedence in one serving contsiners. Washed smashed grapes make a nice contrast in sweet to savory flavor and texture too.

TheHound

I absolutely hate liver by itself. every time I make it I can only have a few bites before I gag and throw the rest out. I found a new recipe a few days ago and I tried it and ate an entire 6 oz portion of liver and it tasted good! granted I smoked a bit of MJ before I ate it which may have enhanced the taste so I'll have to try it again to see if it was actually as good as it was lol

anyways here's the recipe

Barbecued Beef Liver Recipe

M

member 2106

I mix chicken livers with ground coriander, finely chopped onions and garlic, some lemon zest, some olive oil. Fry that and put it on a bed of chopped cucumbers with a sprinkle of sugar and pepper and a dose of lemon juice. Very tasty.

lvysaur

If it's fresh and from a healthy animal, it won't smell, and preparation is trivial

Otherwise soak in an acidic water for 10 minutes before cooking

Catcream

The Jamie Oliver recipe is easy and yummy.

Chicken Liver Parfait | Jamie Oliver | Jamie Oliver Recipes

Otherwise , lightly pan fry in a little butter with garlic and serve with steamed veggies. Maybe some balsamic vinegar. Or a sauce veloute. Which is a tablespoon of flour and butter browned off and add a stock of your choice to make a sauce. You can pour this over any thing really for a yummy peatish meal...like well cooked mushrooms or your meat. A TBSP of organic flour is ok, isn't it ..?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals