Receding Gums

Spacehoppa

I think baking soda is great for cleaning stains, but is perhaps too abrasive to use every day. If anything, I would imagine that it wears tooth enamel from its abrasiveness. Plus, I think it's the drawing (adsorbent) nature of the bentonite clay that probably makes it so very effective at drawing bacteria from the mouth and saliva. I don't have references for this I'm afraid, it's just something I've observed myself and a conclusion I have drawn from it.

narouz

The thing about this whole Peatian idea--
that trouble with the teeth and gums is related to or caused by overgrowth of bacteria in the stomach--
is that I don't really understand the mechanism of action.

I'm not sure that the phenomena of hurting teeth or loose teeth or bleeding or receding gums
should be analyzed as being caused by bacteria in those gums and teeth.

Seems more like Peat thinks that
when thing go wrong in the bowels--
bacterial overgrowth--
then that lead to the usual suspects:
serotonin, estrogen, stress hormones.

And, in some kind of way I don't understand,
those bad guys affect the health of the mouth.

zernebogus

I think that receeding gums and bad teeth are intimately related to sugar consumption. No matter what Ray Peat or anyone else says, sugar may be good for the body, but it is very very bad for the teeth. I stopped my sugar intake and focused on white potatoes and white rice and the problem cleared up very quickly.
Maybe we should fix our inflammation first, which could take about 2 years, then introduce sugar very slowly because our bodies are not healthy enough to eat sugar and it completely destroys teeth and gums if your immune system is not strong enough to cope with it.
I have tried baking soda as a toothpaste and it really does slow gum disease, but i am also worried about it being abrasive.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
zernebogus, you could be right. If I remember correctly someone said that regular sugar will feed bacteria in the mouth, and that fruit sugar has some kind of protective mechanism so that there will be not much bacteria growth in the mouth. Not sure if that is true or not, but sounds plausible.

kettlebell

I was concerned with regular sugar consumption but after every feeding I just have either a small amount of bicarb (1/4 teaspoon) or salt and any potential bacterial flourish is quelled before it starts. Very effective.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ok, so this quote by Ray Peat got me to thinking and searching:

Ray Peat said:
"Besides keeping phosphates low, getting a lot of vitamin K, and maybe rubbing some onto the gums, might help; it's antiinflammatory. Some people have reverse gingivitis by "rinsing" with coconut oil twice a day, swishing it around for a couple of minutes."

Basically, he is talking about "oil pulling". Well, I went and researched it, and ran across the curezone oil pulling group. And the amount of success they have is amazing. People turning their dental pockets around and healing them, healing gums, etc, and this being verified by a dentist who of course is usually amazed.

So, yesterday, I have started my daily routine of oil pulling. Twice a day, with coconut oil, sometimes I will mix a little bit of oil of oregano, for 20 minutes each time, and then spitting it out after use.

I am doing this because my gums are receding, and, it looks like I have some cavities starting, but not sure if thats what it is.

Here is the curezones forum on oil pulling and swishing:

http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=738&

Oh, and I will be picking up some bentonite clay too. As they say that helps pull out infections and the such, which could also be useful in an emergency situation if a dentist is not available.

narouz

Charlie said:
Ok, so this quote by Ray Peat got me to thinking and searching:

Ray Peat said:
"Besides keeping phosphates low, getting a lot of vitamin K, and maybe rubbing some onto the gums, might help; it's antiinflammatory. Some people have reverse gingivitis by "rinsing" with coconut oil twice a day, swishing it around for a couple of minutes."

Basically, he is talking about "oil pulling". Well, I went and researched it, and ran across the curezone oil pulling group. And the amount of success they have is amazing. People turning their dental pockets around and healing them, healing gums, etc, and this being verified by a dentist who of course is usually amazed.

So, yesterday, I have started my daily routine of oil pulling. Twice a day, with coconut oil, sometimes I will mix a little bit of oil of oregano, for 20 minutes each time, and then spitting it out after use.

I am doing this because my gums are receding, and, it looks like I have some cavities starting, but not sure if thats what it is.

Here is the curezones forum on oil pulling and swishing:

http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=738&

Oh, and I will be picking up some bentonite clay too. As they say that helps pull out infections and the such, which could also be useful in an emergency situation if a dentist is not available.

Interesting, Charlie.
We had a poster on here a while back extolling bentonite clay.
Was it gums related?

I've been coconut oil pulling for about a week now,
for the supposed thrush.
I don't think I've been doing it for long enough though,
so I'll read the link and work on that.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes, that was spacehoppa if I remember correctly. And she was saying something like using it as toothpaste.

narouz, I am pretty convinced that this will work. Just gotta keep up with it.

Kelly

Charlie said:
Yes, that was spacehoppa if I remember correctly. And she was saying something like using it as toothpaste.

narouz, I am pretty convinced that this will work. Just gotta keep up with it.

I had really, really bad gum problems when I was paleo. When I added in carbs it got a little better. When I added lots of carbs via regular and fruit sugar, and at the same time started brushing my teeth with a mixture of coconut oil and baking soda, it got much better. I still get periods of somewhat sore and bleeding gums, but it's much less often. I also make a mouthwash mixture of water and xylitol.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Kelly, might want to look into this oil pulling. Definitely seems promising.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Direction on oil pulling, obviously ignore the oil recommendations, over at the oil pulling forum people seem to gravitate towards coconut oil anyways:

http://www.jonbarron.org/article/oil-pulling-detoxing

What is oil pulling?

The basic technique is simple. Upon waking, you take one tablespoon of sesame or sunflower oil in your mouth and swish it around. Then spit it out. The details, however, are a little more involved.

-You need to do it first thing in the morning, before you eat or drink anything.
-You need to swish for 20 minutes -- give or take maybe three to five minutes. As it turns out, this is absolutely essential for the procedure to work. If you swish for much less than 20 minutes, it won't work. If you swish for much longer than 20 minutes, you run the risk of reabsorbing the bacteria and toxins back into your body.
-Effectively, you want to swish until the oil turns from clear and thick to a thin, white, milky consistency.
-You want to swish the oil back and forth between all of your teeth and side to side across all of your gums. You want to hit the cheeks and soft palate. Like butter on an English muffin, you want to "press" the oil into all the nooks and crannies of your mouth -- over and over again.
-Do not gargle with the oil. You do not want to risk swallowing it. Swallowing a little will not harm you, but repeatedly swallowing the oil after you've swished with it means you will be ingesting things that you're trying to get rid of.
-Once done swishing, spit the oil out into the toilet or sink.
-Rinse, gargle, and spit out again
-Use a tongue scraper to remove the coating from your tongue.
-Finish by brushing your teeth and rinsing with a mouthwash if you like.
-Perform daily for approximately 40-50 days (three 8-ounce bottles of oil will do the trick), then as desired.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
mdr, thats good to know!

My goodness, the nasal drainage that has been happening since I started this oil pulling is incredible.

narouz

Charlie said:
Direction on oil pulling, obviously ignore the oil recommendations, over at the oil pulling forum people seem to gravitate towards coconut oil anyways:

http://www.jonbarron.org/article/oil-pulling-detoxing

What is oil pulling?

The basic technique is simple. Upon waking, you take one tablespoon of sesame or sunflower oil in your mouth and swish it around. Then spit it out. The details, however, are a little more involved.

-You need to do it first thing in the morning, before you eat or drink anything.
-You need to swish for 20 minutes -- give or take maybe three to five minutes. As it turns out, this is absolutely essential for the procedure to work. If you swish for much less than 20 minutes, it won't work. If you swish for much longer than 20 minutes, you run the risk of reabsorbing the bacteria and toxins back into your body.
-Effectively, you want to swish until the oil turns from clear and thick to a thin, white, milky consistency.
-You want to swish the oil back and forth between all of your teeth and side to side across all of your gums. You want to hit the cheeks and soft palate. Like butter on an English muffin, you want to "press" the oil into all the nooks and crannies of your mouth -- over and over again.
-Do not gargle with the oil. You do not want to risk swallowing it. Swallowing a little will not harm you, but repeatedly swallowing the oil after you've swished with it means you will be ingesting things that you're trying to get rid of.
-Once done swishing, spit the oil out into the toilet or sink.
-Rinse, gargle, and spit out again
-Use a tongue scraper to remove the coating from your tongue.
-Finish by brushing your teeth and rinsing with a mouthwash if you like.
-Perform daily for approximately 40-50 days (three 8-ounce bottles of oil will do the trick), then as desired.

I have to say I'm a little suspicious about the 20 minute thing (give or take 3-5 minutes),
and less won't work,
any more won't work.
And the first thing in the morning only time that works thing.

Not saying it's wrong.
Just sayin' I'm suspicious.

Blended in with the suspicion is some resentment, I confess:
When I wake up in the morning
oil pulling is not the first thing I want to do
or need to do.
But: it's the Only time that it will work!

Okay...got that off my chest.
Maybe I'll give it a shot.
I've been doing it The Wrong Way for a while. :lol:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Narouz, over on curezone they say it doesn't totally matter when, just as long as you do it. But they are in agreement at least 20 minutes a day.

narouz

Charlie said:
Narouz, over on curezone they say it doesn't totally matter when, just as long as you do it. But they are in agreement at least 20 minutes a day.

Okay.
20 minutes straight--at one "pulling" you mean?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The optimal, is 20 minutes straight, at least twice a day. For extreme measure, 3 times a day. But, they say, if you can at least get 20 minutes in, split up even, well, then thats better then nothing.

i also think that tooth decay is a result of saliva that is too acidic, which wears down the enamel...it is important to make sure you are getting enough of vitamin A, D, K2 as well as calcium and magnesium....i supplement w/ k2 and D

BingDing

I researched this last summer and tried it. The 20 minutes is for toxin withdrawal, which I decided was hooey. Maybe because the first hit I got was on Skepticforum. I decided "first thing in the morning" was hooey, too. But a lot of people said it whitened their teeth, which is why I tried it. I got good results for that.

Note that in the quote upthread RP said a couple of minutes, twice a day, for dental benefits.

There is a commercial toothpaste with bentonite clay, Earthpaste, that has gotten a lot of good reviews. I'm not sure what to make of the oils, they usually aren't for me

Edit for grammar.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I want to believe!

Gonna check out that earthpaste, thanks BingDing!