Receding And Thinning Hair

TheHound

Has anybody had any success reversing and regrowing hair using Peat's principles? I achieve good temprature pretty much all days, have used Haidut's solban a few times a week and last week started using cyproheptadine at 4mg split throughout the day. I'm 20 years old and my hair has receded at the front for a few years now and is thinning on the top. Will taking desiccated thyroid help?

answersfound

Cypro should do the trick. But focus on the diet. That is most important. Fat solubles are good idea too. Estrogen

And yes. I have certainly reversed my hair loss to a 9, 10 being a perfect head of hair and previously I was at a 6 or 7.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

answersfound said:
Cypro should do the trick. But focus on the diet. That is most important. Fat solubles are good idea too. Estroban

what is the mechanism of cypro helping? I've been using it for slightly over a week and have worked up to the full 4mg pill and haven't really noticed anything from it so far

answersfound

TheHound said:
answersfound said:
Cypro should do the trick. But focus on the diet. That is most important. Fat solubles are good idea too. Estroban

what is the mechanism of cypro helping? I've been using it for slightly over a week and have worked up to the full 4mg pill and haven't really noticed anything from it so far
Give it time. Diet is far more important though. Make sure u are getting all the nutrients. Cyproheptadine does a lot of things. I'm no expert so I suggest you check out forum member haiduts extensive posts on it.

uuy8778yyi

caffeine/aspirin/niacin can mimic topical thyroid

use topicals

and fix your diet

PeatMonster

Since it's almost impossible to track what helps your hair and what doesn't, I would focus on all other markers of health. If your vitality is maximized there really isn't much more you can do about hair. Hair is more like a canary in the coal mine for all the other problems. If you want a specifically hair related health marker to track, do things that improve hair quality like texture and strength rather than thinness.

DKayJoe

Topical progesterone around my hairline is the only direct thing I do for my recession at the moment, it seems to have stopped it however it can cause sexual sides (libido/erection problems) if you're body isn't in a good state, personally I seem to get more wood whilst on it so it seems to be having a beneficial effect for me in that respect. Other than that like others have said, focus on diet and other markers of health, I feel so much better than I did half a year ago I don't even care about my receding hairline like I used to.

mujuro

Back in September I went pretty hard on the Peat principles. My hair started thinning a lot and receding a bit. In January I decided to take a break and start again, much more slowly. I also bit the bullet and agreed to taking medication again for my illness. My bloods always came back with elevated cortisol. One week of being medicated and my cortisol was within normal limits. It's been a few months, and my hair is much healthier and thicker, doesn't seem to be any more recession or thinning. I looked back at old photos from school, pre-medication and could see my hair in my senior year was not the best. Two years later, on medication, photos showed a very different head of hair - thick and lush, even a bit of minor recession had reversed.

I guess for me it came down to a dysfunctional HPA-axis. I still don't ingest anything near to the amount of sugar I was ingesting before.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

mujuro said:
Back in September I went pretty hard on the Peat principles. My hair started thinning a lot and receding a bit. In January I decided to take a break and start again, much more slowly. I also bit the bullet and agreed to taking medication again for my illness. My bloods always came back with elevated cortisol. One week of being medicated and my cortisol was within normal limits. It's been a few months, and my hair is much healthier and thicker, doesn't seem to be any more recession or thinning. I looked back at old photos from school, pre-medication and could see my hair in my senior year was not the best. Two years later, on medication, photos showed a very different head of hair - thick and lush, even a bit of minor recession had reversed.

I guess for me it came down to a dysfunctional HPA-axis. I still don't ingest anything near to the amount of sugar I was ingesting before.

what medication did you start taking for elevated cortisol?

mujuro

Quetiapine and lithium. But these are strictly for my bipolar disorder. I don't recommend that you just start taking them. My circumstances are very specific, and I don't imagine it regrowing anyone else's hair unless they have an identical biology to my own.

Have you had bloodwork done recently? Or ever? You said it's been receding over the last few years. Even a simple blood examination can reveal wide reaching issues.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

mujuro said:
Quetiapine and lithium. But these are strictly for my bipolar disorder. I don't recommend that you just start taking them. My circumstances are very specific, and I don't imagine it regrowing anyone else's hair unless they have an identical biology to my own.

Have you had bloodwork done recently? Or ever? You said it's been receding over the last few years. Even a simple blood examination can reveal wide reaching issues.

No i've never had any bloodwork done. Interesting to note that my waking temperatures are quite low - in the high 96's or low 97's, but usually have no trouble getting to 98.6 or even higher sometimes during the day. is this a problem?

yoshiesque

DKayJoe said:
Topical progesterone around my hairline is the only direct thing I do for my recession at the moment, it seems to have stopped it however it can cause sexual sides (libido/erection problems) if you're body isn't in a good state, personally I seem to get more wood whilst on it so it seems to be having a beneficial effect for me in that respect. Other than that like others have said, focus on diet and other markers of health, I feel so much better than I did half a year ago I don't even care about my receding hairline like I used to.

Can you please tell me the exact solution that you use for this Topical Progesterone? Is there some ingredients you can share? Is it purchased somewhere or did you have to get a pharmacy to make it? Any information would be great as my brother, who is in his mid 30's is suffering from depression due to hair loss. And I really want to help him out with this.

Thanks!

DKayJoe

yoshiesque said:
DKayJoe said:

Can you please tell me the exact solution that you use for this Topical Progesterone? Is there some ingredients you can share? Is it purchased somewhere or did you have to get a pharmacy to make it? Any information would be great as my brother, who is in his mid 30's is suffering from depression due to hair loss. And I really want to help him out with this.

Thanks!

Hi mate, first and foremost from someone who has suffered both depression and hairloss, his depression isn't due to hairloss. It's crap, it makes you feel like crap but if it's enough to get you depressed on your own then you have other problems going on. I'd highly recommend you get him doing some basic peaty style things first, see if his thyroids functioning well and if not improve that, then maybe start with pregnenolone first. If he reacts well to that then move to progesterone, I think I remember reading that it's only 1 chemical tweak away from propecia, a big hairless drug known for causing nasty sexual sides in some people, if your brothers depressed now imagine how he'd feel if he couldn't get wood anymore...that being said it is both yours and his choice, I use progest-e, it's a formula created by Ray Peat. No accurate dosage I'm afraid I just use 2 small blobs of it for each side of my hairline, I also apply coconut oil on my scalp first and sleep with both the coconut oil and the progest-e in my hair.

tara

yoshiesque said:
Any information would be great as my brother, who is in his mid 30's is suffering from depression due to hair loss.
Or possibly hairloss due to (metabolic) depression?

yoshiesque

DKayJoe said:
You are definitely spot on about the depression. There is a genuine psychological reason for it based on past issues which he will hopefully work on. I think recently it has got to a stage where you can actually really notice bald spots, so thats making him feel worse.

tara said:
Or possibly hairloss due to (metabolic) depression?

It's definitely not that. Whenever someone is depressed I like to find the root cause. There are definitely some events that have occurred in his past that lead him down this path. His metabolism is definitely something he might need to work on too though.

Also its genetic (or epigenetic). Father, him and I have hair loss. Difference is im a lot younger and have time to let more shed out before its an issue for me. so im not in any panic.

CoolTweetPete

still working on this. seems no change

My hair has improved dramatically since getting back my laser therapy device in November, and using topical niacinamide, aspirin, and caffeine. I also do regular scalp massages, which has been shown to help. Have you tried anything along these lines?

BCAA also seem to help. Haidut also offered a mechanism by which methylene blue helps reduce NO by unbinding it from cytochrome c oxidase (repiratory enzyme). This is similar to what red light does.

These would be supplements to the obvious lifestyle changes like dramatically lowering PUFA consumption, getting enough macros of the right types for you, spending enough time outside, sleeping well, and doing what you can to lower stress.

Good luck!

Last edited:

DaveFoster

I think it's biotin. It's probably biotin. High metabolic rate + biotin = you're golden. Golden locks.

For thickness at least.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals