Rebound Insomnia From Quetiapine Withdrawal

eight

I was put on quetiapine about a month ago at a dose of 200mg for symptoms of mania. I was on the drug involuntarily for 3 weeks, before dropping it over the period of a week as soon I was given control over dosing.
I did so without the supervision of my doctor because I was mistrustful of him.

It's been 3 days since I got off the quetiapine and I've been unable to sleep. Before, I'd sleep like a log for 8 hours a night.

What has happened to me, mechanistically? Is my body going to be able to readjust without returning to the drug? If not, why?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

L Cothren

I have no direct experience with Seroquel(quetiapine), as Ativan was my drug of choice for many years, but I do know that with all mood-altering drugs there is a withdrawal phase that can cause awful rebound insomnia. Generally, after the withdrawal period your body and brain should return to the pre-drug state, and it will be from a few days to a few weeks, depending on how long you have been on the medication.

Unfortunately, none of these drugs will actually heal what ails you, but they can be powerful and helpful aids in the short term.

mujuro

I've plenty of experience with quetiapine. This insomnia shouldn't last more than a week. I give it 2 weeks max. Quetiapine for mania is not a common prescription, as the gold standard for mania is lithium, which has far fewer side effects and carries quite a few pro-Peat properties concerning mitochondrial function. Quetiapine is more for sleep and depression, as it corrects glucocorticoid signaling.

Frankdee20

The sleep inducing effect of seriquel comes from its strong histamine blockade

johnsmith

I've plenty of experience with quetiapine. This insomnia shouldn't last more than a week. I give it 2 weeks max. Quetiapine for mania is not a common prescription, as the gold standard for mania is lithium, which has far fewer side effects and carries quite a few pro-Peat properties concerning mitochondrial function. Quetiapine is more for sleep and depression, as it corrects glucocorticoid signaling.
Hey, do you still take Quetiapine? I just found out my sister's been on it for two months to level out her mood, help her sleep, and to help her perform well with her stressful job. I've been trying to convince to to lower her dose and start to transitioning to some more natural supplements. Any advice?

Tess

I have been a longtime user of Quetiapine (Seroquel). I have been graduating down slowly and very systematically by cutting back ten percent per month to avoid neurological damage (or trying to).

I have gone from 100 mg's to 65 mg's in five months. I am beginning to have insomnia again (and night sweats) and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations, or success in using GABA (natural supplement not Gabapentin) and/or Seratonin, or Dopamine? I read that Seroquel binds to Dopamine and Seratonin receptors in the brain. I'm just trying to find something that will help me sleep. I tried GABA - it worked for one night and is not working now - wondering if cycling is best?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

biggirlkisss

you could increase red light before sleep to drop adnrealine to counter. You can also use metlonin instead or together. Its tough though to get all the way off once on. It was helpful for me at first now it kinda pooed out.

Tess

you could increase red light before sleep to drop adnrealine to counter. You can also use metlonin instead or together. Its tough though to get all the way off once on. It was helpful for me at first now it kinda pooed out.
Thank you so much. Would a regular red lightbulb work? I'm grateful.

biggirlkisss

best to get clear ones. The red colored ones block some orange LEDS are really coming down but may still be out of your price range. look for bulbs that are 130volt 200-300 watts. 130 volt have thicker filament that makes bulb run cooler so more red and orange less violent and blue. Two or three of them shining on body naked before bed will help you sleep. I like this one..

Philips 300W PS25 Clear | The Home Depot Canada

I'm not really a big fan of single red leds 660nm or 620nm for example. They do help but not as much as something that has the whole spectrum of orange to deep red. Be also careful if that bulb falls it could burn the carpet. Take precautions.

Right now you have sunlight which has enough red to be good so take advantage of that too. Glass or uv film is even better. Sitting in car is good with sunlight.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals