really liking this article

frustrated

Wow raising your metabolism is as easy as eating Pizza, Ice Cream and French Fries! I guess that explains why Americans (and Matt Stone) are so lean!

What a Jackass. 4,5,7 are the only things that have any validity. Too bad he doesn't have any scientific references for the rest of his claims.

chris

I think 2 is worth taking note of, monitor temperatures. 6 could be valid but is too simple on that article.

jyb

I'm still not completely sure...is Matt against fluids over solid foods due to insufficient sodium? Of course if its just that, then the advice is less relevant to this forum where users advocate spoonfuls of salt.

Fruit also has a high-water content, so don’t eat too much when you are trying to raise your metabolism.

OP
O
frustrated said:
Wow raising your metabolism is as easy as eating Pizza, Ice Cream and French Fries! I guess that explains why Americans (and Matt Stone) are so lean!

What a Jackass. 4,5,7 are the only things that have any validity. Too bad he doesn't have any scientific references for the rest of his claims.

ice cream=peat approved
french fries fried in coconut oil, lard, butter= peat approved
and a gluten-free pizza = okay on occassion

not sure where you are getting at...i think an important takeaway from a peat style diet is that weight is not necessarily an indicator of health and there are plenty of "overweight" people that have great metabolisms

frustrated

OrangeJuiceManiac said:
frustrated said:

ice cream=peat approved
french fries fried in coconut oil, lard, butter= peat approved
and a gluten-free pizza = okay on occassion

not sure where you are getting at...i think an important takeaway from a peat style diet is that weight is not necessarily an indicator of health and there are plenty of "overweight" people that have great metabolisms

Are you willing to believe someone who doesn't bother to cite any of his claims? Particularly, he has no scientific reference proving that liquids decrease the metabolic rate where as solid foods increase it.

Are you willing to believe someone who has consistently gained weight (almost exclusively fat) over the last five years? Btw Peat is actually very against gaining fat, along with the rest of mainstream science, because on average, holding everything else constant, it is associated with poorer health.

Peat also says high fat (sat/mono) diets can be fattening, e.g., eating whole milk instead of skim milk. Part of the problem is that they start to displace things you need, such as protein and calcium (which Matt doesn't care about). Peat merely emphasizes sat fat in his work purely because he thinks they antagonizes many of the negative effects of pufa.

Matt, in part, markets himself to Peat Eaters in most of his articles because he knows they care about temps and, in general, they drink a lot of liquid.

kettlebell

Btw Peat is actually very against gaining fat, along with the rest of mainstream science, because on average, holding everything else constant, it is associated with poorer health.

I think a big reason for this is fats ability to create estrogen. The more fat you have the more estrogen you can create.

I am unsure as to what the difference would be in production in regards to stored saturated fat vs unsaturated.

Maybe unsaturated fat creates estrogen more readily? I would be interested to know, even better if anyone has any references in regards to this.

sctb

kettlebell said:
I think a big reason for this is fats ability to create estrogen. The more fat you have the more estrogen you can create.

I am unsure as to what the difference would be in production in regards to stored saturated fat vs unsaturated.

Maybe unsaturated fat creates estrogen more readily? I would be interested to know, even better if anyone has any references in regards to this.

That's a fantastic question. Another one (which may already be answered) is
whether aromatase activity is constant per adipocyte (so overall is dependent
only on fat-cell count), or varies depending on size.

- Scott

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Would taking aspirin somewhat offset the fat making estrogen?

I do have a little bit of estrogen making matter to lose. :(

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yay!! I can take aspirin and be fat and happy! :lol: Just kidding. I am slowly turning the tide.

gretchen

Matt suggest eating salts and solid food over drinking a lot of liquids or adding salt if you do drink liquids, so your pee isn't so clear. Not sure what's off about those suggestions; they ring true to me. I've definitely noticed a correlation between how much I drink (which is a lot) and my temp: most days my it is barely 97.5. I'm tired and feel spacey often but the added salt at least makes my pee yellow, and also keeps me from being any colder than I otherwise would be.

frustrated said:

Josh Rubin is fat and believes in chakras why does nobody talk s**t about him.

OP
O
gretchen said:
Matt suggest eating salts and solid food over drinking a lot of liquids or adding salt if you do drink liquids, so your pee isn't so clear. Not sure what's off about those suggestions; they ring true to me. I've definitely noticed a correlation between how much I drink (which is a lot) and my temp: most days my it is barely 97.5. I'm tired and feel spacey often but the added salt at least makes my pee yellow, and also keeps me from being any colder than I otherwise would be.

yea i'm trying to incorporate this concept in combination with the peat philosophy but it's tough because i get very thirsty sometimes, but i have low body temp and am cold....i'll drink some oj but i feel like its just keeping me in this state

i just don't notice that much a difference w/ the salt and use alot

danny roddy says this:
Q: My body temperature drops after a liquid meal, what should I do?
A: If your body temperature drops after a liquid meal this can be suggestive of a low metabolic rate dominated by stress hormones.
If this regularly happens (after every meal), it may warrant experimentation with additional salt/sugar consumption.
Additionally, consuming food more frequently until the liver is able to store glycogen properly may be appropriate. “Intermittent fasting” will exacerbate this issue.

frustrated

OrangeJuiceManiac said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mpViCAalhV8#!

Guy is a legit phucking idiot. From the comments:

"Fruit is very powerful for lowering body temperature and metabolism. Perhaps why fruitarian author Doug Graham recommends eating a fruit-based diet to get body temperature to 93 degrees F."

"That's incorrect. You can eat as much fruit as you want, but it won't raise metabolism and body temperature because the water content is too high. Dried fruit can help, but fruit alone is usually insufficient. You need a better blend of fat, protein, and carbs to really bring metabolism up. "

Why don't you ask Matt Stone to look at the following study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21621801

The participants in the low fructose group were given cereal (dry carbs) instead of fruit -- Yet the moderate fructose group (watery fruit eaters) lost more weight. And LMAO @ even mentioning at Doug Graham. The guy is several decades older than him and significantly leaner too. I'm sure all that watery fruit is giving him a slow metabolism.

cliff

"I'm sure all that watery fruit is giving him a slow metabolism."

The fruit isn't but his low protein diet probably is :)

He brags about having a super low temp in one of his blog post(like around 94f)

cliff

Does matt stopne drink water? I don't get it, you have to get water from somewhere right? or does he think dehydration is good?

OP
O
cliff said:
Does matt stopne drink water? I don't get it, you have to get water from somewhere right? or does he think dehydration is good?

no he says that this is just a temporary solution to raising body temperature, maybe for 3-4 weeks...i've asked this question multiple times....a peat diet which is heavily based on liquids will lower body temperature...do you honestly think "more salt" is enough to combat this?

there's no doubt that dense, low water foods work to increase warmth

cliff

Liquids have never lowered my temps, actually exactly the opposite even drinking up to 2 gallons.

Not really sure about low water foods, my temps never really went past 98 on a starch heavy matt stone inspired diet.