Really Bad Hip Pain. Help?

B

Braveheart

My stroke 5 years ago disabled my right side, especially my leg. Physical therapy was unavailable so I just started walking best I could...and it is a real crazy walk, which from day one, has been hurting my hip. This chronic pain is getting worse and I am very sedentary since the stroke...plus now, driving is becoming difficult... I have gotten some relief from 2 herbs...Tumeric and Boswellia, taken together, they work well on the inflammation and they do decrease the pain. I would greatly appreciate any ideas/suggestions you all might have...

Peatful

Is it joint pain? Muscular pain? Or nerve pain?

What position relieves you?

Is there atrophy?

Is it hip only- or knee pain too?

Lastly
Do you have full sensation in that leg?

OP
B

Braveheart

Is it joint pain? Muscular pain? Or nerve pain?

What position relieves you?

Is there atrophy?

Is it hip only- or knee pain too?

Lastly
Do you have full sensation in that leg?
I think it is joint pain?...sitting and lying on my left side...leg is atrophied from disuse...no knee pain, the knee never worked right so I do this stiff leg Ahab walk, where all the shock is on hip...yes I have full sensation

Peatful

Blocking Tissue Destruction

Osteoporosis, harmful calcification, and nerve/muscle malfunctions

Start with these articles if you have not done so already.

With the data I have -
I think red light is worth exploring.

Progesterone (I’m not that familiar with pregnenalone) too.

Go on YouTube and see if there are any PTs creating orthopedic content for hip pain prior to a joint replacement- not after one.

That’s a good starting place...

Keep us posted as able.

OP
B

Braveheart

Blocking Tissue Destruction

Osteoporosis, harmful calcification, and nerve/muscle malfunctions

Start with these articles if you have not done so already.

With the data I have -
I think red light is worth exploring.

Progesterone (I’m not that familiar with pregnenalone) too.

Go on YouTube and see if there are any PTs creating orthopedic content for hip pain prior to a joint replacement- not after one.

That’s a good starting place...

Keep us posted as able.
Thank you for your input!

Lejeboca

I think it is joint pain?...sitting and lying on my left side...leg is atrophied from disuse...no knee pain, the knee never worked right so I do this stiff leg Ahab walk, where all the shock is on hip...yes I have full sensation

I'd definitely do Feldenkrais lessons https://feldenkrais.com/ . If you do not have a trainer near you (for a functional integration), ATM ('self-lessons') will alleviate your pain too.

In terms of herbs, I'd try Pau d'arco (lapodin) to remove lactic acid produced by inflammation, to lubricate the joint, I'd try mullein (topically or orally).

OP
B

Braveheart

I'd definitely do Feldenkrais lessons https://feldenkrais.com/ . If you do not have a trainer near you (for a functional integration), ATM ('self-lessons') will alleviate your pain too.

In terms of herbs, I'd try Pau d'arco (lapodin) to remove lactic acid produced by inflammation, to lubricate the joint, I'd try mullein (topically or orally).
Thank you...I will look into all this and share what I'm learning. This time I continued the Tumeric/curcumin-Boswellia past several days and am experiencing some good relief that I never expected...I really must try to walk differently and find possible exercise (and use my cane) otherwise it will only get worse regardless of supplements.

ALS

Have you ever gotten an x-ray or MRI on your hip? That may be arthritis. You should get some imaging done and a diagnosis at least.

Lilac

When I eliminated wheat, my chronic hip pain, which flared into bursitis two or three times, disappeared for six years. Recently I got lax about eating wheat--was even having it daily in some form--and the hip started throbbing a bit. I have dialed back the wheat and know I should eliminate it again. Just a thought!

Do you supplement thyroid? If you are hypothyroid and do not supplement, this might be an important step to move forward.

OP
B

Braveheart

Have you ever gotten an x-ray or MRI on your hip? at may be arthritis. You should get some imaging done and a diagnosis at least.
Thank you...Would have to go to Mexico for MRI...it's not arthritis am sure...have gotten to know my body really well since stroke and my research doesn't point to arthritis though I am using herbs/supps that would confront arthritis.

OP
B

Braveheart

When I eliminated wheat, my chronic hip pain, which flared into bursitis two or three times, disappeared for six years. Recently I got lax about eating wheat--was even having it daily in some form--and the hip started throbbing a bit. I have dialed back the wheat and know I should eliminate it again. Just a thought!

Do you supplement thyroid? If you are hypothyroid and do not supplement, this might be an important step to move forward.
Hi Lilac, thank you...I don't touch wheat and don't use thyroid because I don't think I am hypothyroid...this problem is strictly caused by my terrible walk and I need to train in a different walk but stroke patients always use the easy way out, whether its good or not...recently my chronic pain has gotten worse and my herbs plus pregnenolone/progesterone seem to be helping. Peatful suggested above, several Ray Peat articles I had never read, and they pointed to Preg/Progest...those both have been extremely helpful to me recently for other problems also.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

Braveheart

Hi Lilac, thank you...I don't touch wheat and don't use thyroid because I don't think I am hypothyroid...this problem is strictly caused by my terrible walk and I need to train in a different walk but stroke patients always use the easy way out, whether its good or not...recently my chronic pain has gotten worse and my herbs plus pregnenolone/progesterone seem to be helping. Peatful suggested above several Ray Peat articles I had never read and they pointed to Preg/Progest...those both have been extremely helpful to me recently.

Regina

Hi Lilac, thank you...I don't touch wheat and don't use thyroid because I don't think I am hypothyroid...this problem is strictly caused by my terrible walk and I need to train in a different walk but stroke patients always use the easy way out, whether its good or not...recently my chronic pain has gotten worse and my herbs plus pregnenolone/progesterone seem to be helping. Peatful suggested above, several Ray Peat articles I had never read, and they pointed to Preg/Progest...those both have been extremely helpful to me recently for other problems also.
I would also try Gonadin.

Nokoni

My stroke 5 years ago disabled my right side, especially my leg. Physical therapy was unavailable so I just started walking best I could...and it is a real crazy walk, which from day one, has been hurting my hip. This chronic pain is getting worse and I am very sedentary since the stroke...plus now, driving is becoming difficult... I have gotten some relief from 2 herbs...Tumeric and Boswellia, taken together, they work well on the inflammation and they do decrease the pain. I would greatly appreciate any ideas/suggestions you all might have...
I've gotten good results dealing with joint pain from Haidut's Pyrucet. Check out his thread on the product and you'll see that it's strongly anti-inflammatory.
Pyrucet - Liquid (ethyl) Pyruvate/Aceatoacetate Mix
Here's a chart from the thread dealing with one of his ingredients:
https://raypeatforum.com/community/attachments/ethyl_pyruvate_inflammation_targets-png.12033/
Might want to consider gelatin/glycine too. (I use glycine.) Haidut say's it's great for joint health.
Just One (1) Tablespoon Of Gelatin Daily Is Enough To Improve Joint Health
And aspirin, of course, if it doesn't cause issues for you.

Lizb

Have a look at Katy Bowman's work. website is nutritious movement.com
You'll have to read a lot. Go to her blogs which go back 9 years. There are podcasts there too.
Having studied her work, and applying it, I'm confident you will find something that will help, even if it's not the entire solution.

ddjd

I swear by optiMSM capsules from doctors best. stopped all my bone pains. must be this brand, it's definitely the best. and capsules not tablets

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Have a look at Katy Bowman's work. website is nutritious movement.com
You'll have to read a lot. Go to her blogs which go back 9 years. There are podcasts there too.
Having studied her work, and applying it, I'm confident you will find something that will help, even if it's not the entire solution.
I second this recommendation. Her basic moves helped have helped some of my family and me to regain mobility in our hips.
I swear by optiMSM capsules from doctors best. stopped all my bone pains. must be this brand, it's definitely the best. and capsules not tablets
This the same brand my husband likes and uses.

SQu

I second this recommendation. Her basic moves helped have helped some of my family and me to regain mobility in our hips.

This the same brand my husband likes and uses.
I third the Katy Bowman recommendation. I fixed hip pain fast. I realize a stroke is a different issue, but I am sure that strengthening and aligning as much as possible can only help in a gentle, sustainable way. I like how you make little changes to basic and fundamental things, stuff you can do throughout the day. May take some digging to find how to apply it to your situation. Hope there's something there for you.

Dave Clark

If all else fails, see if you can find a doctor in your area that does ozone therapy. Look into prolozone shots, which is nothing more than ozone with procaine and some nutrients, fixed many of people's hip, shoulder, and knee problems.

OP
B

Braveheart

Thank you all, for the great feedback...I'm in pretty good shape after throwing the kitchen sink at the problem....
Tumeric and Boswellia and Stinging Nettle immediately improved the situation...2 doses per day continuous...
also chamomile tea, pineapple, garlic and onion, ginger and cinnamon and green tea....have ordered Willow Bark and Devils Claw....and of course preg/progest from ILabs. All of these herbs/spices are known to ease inflammation. That's it for now...driving again, but I must finally use a cane..."denial" no more.

Review of Anti-Inflammatory Herbal Medicines

13 Herbs and Spices That Will Reduce Inflammation in Your Body

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals