Real olive oil for eating or solvent?

Anyone have leads on a real olive oil? I'd like to use it as a solvent, and maybe for eating. Would appreciate any ideas, thanks. Toxinless doesn't seem to have the right info.

JohnHafterson

What do you mean by real? Not with vegetable oils added I assume or overly refined.

My guess is that any moderate quality to high quality store bought olive oil should work.

I like my olive oil strong in flavor with notable peppery finish on the throat which may indicate it inhibits COX enzymes among other things:

Darker/flavorful oils in dark bottles will have more bioactive components like terpenes which are natural solvents.

Also seems like olive oils may have ethanol and other alcohol types formed during their processing making them good solvents:

"The presence of short chain alcohols in virgin olive oil could be closely related with oil quality. Actually low amounts of methanol (MeOH) and ethanol (EtOH) are accepted since small quantities of these alcohols may be formed during the maturation of olives."

Olive oil is used pretty often as a solvent to make cannabis edible and massage oils.

This stuff is decent Colavita. It's an EVOO with good flavor.

Attachments

• 16148206268393206674543274337741.jpg
    16148206268393206674543274337741.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 6
OP
windinthepines
There have been reports of a huge % of the olive oil being fake. Fake as in adulturated with high PUFA oils.

Inaut

I get mine from a friend in Greece. By the tin !

DMF

There are no real olive oils on the market today - none of them would pass quality tests.

SonOfEurope

Get lost in the Plains of Andalusia, Southern Spain.

Find some olive groves, fill up the bag and cold press at home.

Real olive oil is just the juice of Olives.. ... Something that can't be kept in a bottle for 8 months, the stuff we have at convenience stores/$upermarket$ nowadays is highly processed. Extra virgin... LMAO.

akgrrrl

There are no real olive oils on the market today - none of them would pass quality tests.
Yes. This. Americans have a lot to learn. For thousands of years olive oil made from the fruit was the currency of commerce. First dripped oil was called "beaten oil" and not filtered. What is on
Get lost in the Plains of Andalusia, Southern Spain.

Find some olive groves, fill up the bag and cold press at home.

Real olive oil is just the juice of Olives.. ... Something that can't be kept in a bottle for 8 months, the stuff we have at convenience stores/$upermarket$ nowadays is highly processed. Extra virgin... LMAO.
Thankyou. Americans have a lot to learn.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I get high quality olive oil from Fustini's in Traverse City, MI. They always have varietals, and the oil is fresh and pure and sourced from different countries.