Read This To Infect Your Ego!

Blinkyrocket

Personally, I find that attaching unexplainable, deep meaning to a relationship like with my (pretty much only true) friend feels pretty good even if it technically means nothing, the way you say it, everything means nothing, but technically in order for something to mean anything at all there needs to be someone there to attach meaning to it, because meaning and importance are ideas that come from our own brains.

jaa

Nothing matters from the point of view of the universe. Just as nothing matters to a rock. To take an inanimate object as your point of reference is pointless.

Things matter from the point of view of concious creatures. You can create varying degrees of suffering or happiness based on your actions. This jives with your do what feels good hedonistic approach, until you start encroaching on other concious creatures. So no, it does not matter to the universe if you kill someone. But that action likely causes a ripple of negative consequences through time. And even things that are hedonistically pleasureable and cause no suffering to others, may cause suffering to you further down the road. A simple manifestation of this is drinking and a hangover. Obviously, you are free to do what you want, especially when the only suffering caused is to yourself. But your actions matter, even though to the universe they don't.

pboy

its all fun and games until you actually feel like you might die, or are in such tremendous suffering its serious consideration. Then you realize its not that simple, things do matter...to your soul, big time, and you have to have a serious level of focus in your life to ever truly be ready to die, the many things you have to do first. Sorry dude, you cant just give up and expect that that's ok, or let yourself be pushed around. You have to flow no doubt, don't force things that aren't meant at the time, but you always have to be executing towards outcomes you want, need, rather, before you'll be ok to die. A huge part of this is proving that a life has a higher power, purpose, ect...because no one wants to die without knowing or having a good idea of where theyre going, or its always a fear and pain thing. Look around. You have to discover that..in this life, the riddle of it...as well as the more veiled but eventually obvious forces at play

mt_dreams

Pboy mentioned the actual feeling of death and this is why I think all humans should have to go through a medicinal experience with someone who is trained to give you an experience of simulated death. It will become clear all at once that no matter what you've convinced yourself consciously, the body is extremely scared of death, and wants nothing more than to keep on living. So it would seem that your body, like all other living things, would rather be living than move on to the next phase life aka death.

It's good to have a feeling of wonder about the universe & everything that is within it. Looking at the shear size of things, it can all seem pointless. That is until you look at the gift of conciseness. We've been given a massive experience here, and spitting on that is a massive disgrace to creation. Just looking at someone who can turn their tea time into a sort of ceremony shows just how possible it is to create a whole experience from the mundane. It hasn't been perfect since we left the garden, we're just experiencing some of the growing pains.

OP
B

Ben

mt_dreams said:
Pboy mentioned the actual feeling of death and this is why I think all humans should have to go through a medicinal experience with someone who is trained to give you an experience of simulated death. It will become clear all at once that no matter what you've convinced yourself consciously, the body is extremely scared of death, and wants nothing more than to keep on living. So it would seem that your body, like all other living things, would rather be living than move on to the next phase life aka death.

It's good to have a feeling of wonder about the universe & everything that is within it. Looking at the shear size of things, it can all seem pointless. That is until you look at the gift of conciseness. We've been given a massive experience here, and spitting on that is a massive disgrace to creation. Just looking at someone who can turn their tea time into a sort of ceremony shows just how possible it is to create a whole experience from the mundane. It hasn't been perfect since we left the garden, we're just experiencing some of the growing pains.
I'm not saying life should be devalued. I'm saying death and pain are devalued and are not bad. So you should let go and do whatever you feel like doing.

jaa said:
Nothing matters from the point of view of the universe. Just as nothing matters to a rock. To take an inanimate object as your point of reference is pointless.

Things matter from the point of view of concious creatures. You can create varying degrees of suffering or happiness based on your actions. This jives with your do what feels good hedonistic approach, until you start encroaching on other concious creatures. So no, it does not matter to the universe if you kill someone. But that action likely causes a ripple of negative consequences through time. And even things that are hedonistically pleasureable and cause no suffering to others, may cause suffering to you further down the road. A simple manifestation of this is drinking and a hangover. Obviously, you are free to do what you want, especially when the only suffering caused is to yourself. But your actions matter, even though to the universe they don't.
Many people use the terms "pain" and "suffering" interchangeably, but not I. Suffering is being identified with the past and future, comparing a moment with other moments, yearning for better times, which is resistance. But pain in itself is not suffering. You don't see animals feeling sorry for themselves, they do whatever they feel like doing to heal their wounds, run, or eat. This is flow. There is no suffering because the animal does what it feels like doing.

pboy said:
its all fun and games until you actually feel like you might die, or are in such tremendous suffering its serious consideration. Then you realize its not that simple, things do matter...to your soul, big time, and you have to have a serious level of focus in your life to ever truly be ready to die, the many things you have to do first. Sorry dude, you cant just give up and expect that that's ok, or let yourself be pushed around. You have to flow no doubt, don't force things that aren't meant at the time, but you always have to be executing towards outcomes you want, need, rather, before you'll be ok to die. A huge part of this is proving that a life has a higher power, purpose, ect...because no one wants to die without knowing or having a good idea of where theyre going, or its always a fear and pain thing. Look around. You have to discover that..in this life, the riddle of it...as well as the more veiled but eventually obvious forces at play
My life was far from fun and games. Particularly when I moved on to my teen years. Everything lost its gleam when I became aware of the limits of reality and that there is no magic, nothing unknown. I missed being an ignorant child, I felt like I was in hell. I read hours upon hours of neuroscience and health instead of studying. I was afraid to put myself out there because I didn't want to ruin my chances to become important.

Now I know, the answer to suffering is not found in the realm of knowledge, but in what is not knowledge, nothingness. I know there is no right or wrong, no reason to ever yearn for anything. I am now completely honest and don't care what people think of me. I feel free to do anything I feel like doing and I don't mind having no future if that's how it's going to be. I couldn't ask for more from life than this. Life is okay or good no matter what happens.

And I don't disagree about doing the right thing. If it comes naturally, like for me as I'm writing this, it is good to do. But I learned first-hand that if one doesn't feel like doing good and they do it, it is ego-based and bad. A person will expect results for their suffering, but the only result that matters is less suffering.

Blinkyrocket said:
Personally, I find that attaching unexplainable, deep meaning to a relationship like with my (pretty much only true) friend feels pretty good even if it technically means nothing, the way you say it, everything means nothing, but technically in order for something to mean anything at all there needs to be someone there to attach meaning to it, because meaning and importance are ideas that come from our own brains.
I have a best friend too and I can relate. But according to what you said, it would matter what others feel. We are very tightly programmed to care what others feel, and if one has impulses related to altruism, they shouldn't stop themselves, because there is no reason to. But attributing special value to this kind of impulse over other impulses or for example changing yourself to be with someone, shouldn't be done. Thankfully, I met my best friend in this honest state.

And about nature screwing up, not true at all. You may benefit the survival of the species by being a useful part of humanity in some other way.

Blinkyrocket

Ben said:
mt_dreams said:

I'm not saying life should be devalued. I'm saying death and pain are devalued and are not bad. So you should let go and do whatever you feel like doing.

jaa said:

Many people use the terms "pain" and "suffering" interchangeably, but not I. Suffering is being identified with the past and future, comparing a moment with other moments, yearning for better times, which is resistance. But pain in itself is not suffering. You don't see animals feeling sorry for themselves, they do whatever they feel like doing to heal their wounds, run, or eat. This is flow. There is no suffering because the animal does what it feels like doing.

pboy said:
My life was far from fun and games. Particularly when I moved on to my teen years. Everything lost its gleam when I became aware of the limits of reality and that there is no magic, nothing unknown. I missed being an ignorant child, I felt like I was in hell. I read hours upon hours of neuroscience and health instead of studying. I was afraid to put myself out there because I didn't want to ruin my chances to become important.

Now I know, the answer to suffering is not found in the realm of knowledge, but in what is not knowledge, nothingness. I know there is no right or wrong, no reason to ever yearn for anything. I am now completely honest and don't care what people think of me. I feel free to do anything I feel like doing and I don't mind having no future if that's how it's going to be. I couldn't ask for more from life than this. Life is okay or good no matter what happens.

And I don't disagree about doing the right thing. If it comes naturally, like for me as I'm writing this, it is good to do. But I learned first-hand that if one doesn't feel like doing good and they do it, it is ego-based and bad. A person will expect results for their suffering, but the only result that matters is less suffering.

Blinkyrocket said:
I have a best friend too and I can relate. But according to what you said, it would matter what others feel. We are very tightly programmed to care what others feel, and if one has impulses related to altruism, they shouldn't stop themselves, because there is no reason to. But attributing special value to this kind of impulse over other impulses or for example changing yourself to be with someone, shouldn't be done. Thankfully, I met my best friend in this honest state.

And about nature screwing up, not true at all. You may benefit the survival of the species by being a useful part of humanity in some other way.
I agree completely in the principle of a lot of what you just said but the problem is that my- and a lot of others instincts- will be something along the lines of this quote from a song by Metallica called Eye of the Beholder: "You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say!"
If I'm interpreting you correctly that song actually agrees with a lot of what you've said.

jaa

Ben said:
jaa said:

Right. Additional suffering or the idea of not shooting yourself with the same arrow twice. That shows up a lot in Buddhism, and I agree that that kind of suffering is pointless. I don't see what that has to do with my argument about how causing pain or harm or whatever you want to define as the opposite of pleasure does matter. Your reference point is off because you're trying to derive meaning (or lack thereof) from the point of view of an inanimate object (the universe).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals