Reactive Dog - Reducing Stress protocol?

Razvan

Hi,

Hoping someone here could help. I adopted a dog last August, She was 'rescued' from Romania and bought to the UK (in not very nice conditions I have since learned) where she was spaded and spent a few weeks in a rehoming centre. On reflection, I can see this was possibly unethical and she has gone through a whole lot of stress (unbeknown to me before adopting or doing any research). She is understandably a reactive dog and seemingly very high stress, I have put her on a 'peaty' style diet (fruit, gelatine dog food, calcium). Can anyone recommend some things that are safe for her that might help bring down the cortisol levels. I think the fact she was spaded has a lot to do with this too (could this be causing a major hormone imbalance? and if so what can I do to mitigate this? Progesterone?).

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
The people that "rescue the dogs " from Romania and they bring to countries like UK and Netherlands are pricks,they did this to my 8 puppy dogs that my female dog had born. I was feeding them everyday to grow up until I can give them to nice families and those pricks just came to my home garden while I wasn't at home and stole almost all puppys to bring them to the UK or something. The dogs are traumatized this way and they just want to come back. Fortunately 3 dogs were left and I kept them.

OP
Jayvee

Jayvee

The people that "rescue the dogs " from Romania and they bring to countries like UK and Netherlands are pricks,they did this to my 8 puppy dogs that my female dog had born. I was feeding them everyday to grow up until I can give them to nice families and those pricks just came to my home garden while I wasn't at home and stole almost all puppys to bring them to the UK or something. The dogs are traumatized this way and they just want to come back. Fortunately 3 dogs were left and I kept them.

What!!! That is horrible, I'm so sorry that happened to you. Who are these people? Are they selling the dogs to rescue centres? I am battling with the 'rescue' centre where I got my dog from and potentially exposing them. The whole operation is unethical. We were lied to throughout the whole process. The idea that we have funded such an operation makes me feel sick, it's the exact opposite reason we adopted.

Razvan

Yess, there are good organisations indeed, I don't know what your case is,but there are a lot of pricks that do this kind of things to make money and they say it's for saving the dog. There are good organisations because here in Romania it's full of dogs that are homeless they just live in cities in dangerous neighborhoods and they eat what they find. A lot of them are so ill,you can see it in their eyes. This situation is getting better.
Hopefully you picked up the dog from a good organisation that behaves well to the dog and truly rescues them.