tomisonbottom

Hello,

I was wondering, do you all just go by the RDA for your minerals/vitamins, etc requirements?
I have a hard time believing that it could be accurate when everything else we've been taught is so wrong but I haven't read anything from Peat about it exactly either..........

Dan W

I've wondered this myself.

I think a lot of us just use the RDA to spot big deficiencies. Peat sometimes mentions special cases for specific nutrients, like high metabolism requiring more vitamin A, or a low-PUFA diet needing less vitamin E.

Mittir

RP had commented that RDA of iron is too high . If you do individual search on nutrient you will find
info on optimal level. He recommends at least 1200 mg of calcium, which is same as RDA for adult male.
I asked him once about RDA of magnesium, he said that it is fine and with better thyroid function one will need
a lot loss than RDA. RDA is based on some science, it has some credibility. But you can not totally rely on it.
Medical community is very slow to admit their mistakes. I do not think they will correct the RDA of iron
in near future.

OP
tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom

Mittir said:
RP had commented that RDA of iron is too high . If you do individual search on nutrient you will find
info on optimal level. He recommends at least 1200 mg of calcium, which is same as RDA for adult male.
I asked him once about RDA of magnesium, he said that it is fine and with better thyroid function one will need
a lot loss than RDA. RDA is based on some science, it has some credibility. But you can not totally rely on it.
Medical community is very slow to admit their mistakes. I do not think they will correct the RDA of iron
in near future.
Thanks Mittir, that's helpful.
When you say "search individual nutrients', I assume you just mean on the forum here or does he say it somewhere else himself?

4peatssake

tomisonbottom said:
When you say "search individual nutrients', I assume you just mean on the forum here or does he say it somewhere else himself?
This is our very own Peat Search Engine courtesy of forum member Dan Wich.

Really helpful to use in a situation such as this.

For example, I used the word "allowance" in the right hand side ("Search the entire Ray Peat Community") and came up with this quote of Ray's from February 2013 regarding RDAs.

Ray Peat said:
"I think they are very wrong for protein and vitamins A, D, and K." - Ray (Feb. 21, 2013)
Source

pboy

Id say almost all of them are inflated, except vitamin A may be low unless its all from preformed, vitamin C is about half too low...the rest all seem pretty accurate or inflated, iodine might be a hint low also