Razor Burn from shaving

answersfound

I only shave about once a week, and I still get razor burn on my neck. I am extremely gentle and I use a pre-shave oil and shaving cream, free of potential irritants. I also use a double-edged safety razor which supposedly is less harsh on your skin. Is razor burn connected to vitamin A deficiency?

paper_clips43

I use warm raw heavy cream to shave and my face is super soft with no burn at all. I haven't used pasteurized cream but it would probably work just as well.

OP
A

answersfound

paper_clips43 said:
post 105443 I use warm raw heavy cream to shave and my face is super soft with no burn at all. I haven't used pasteurized cream but it would probably work just as well.

That is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:

michael94

answersfound said:
post 105449
paper_clips43 said:
post 105443 I use warm raw heavy cream to shave and my face is super soft with no burn at all. I haven't used pasteurized cream but it would probably work just as well.

Shaving creams use saturated fats as an ingredient ( I believe ) so not too weird

OP
A

answersfound

icecreamlover said:
post 105450
answersfound said:
post 105449
paper_clips43 said:

Shaving creams use saturated fats as an ingredient ( I believe ) so not too weird

Ahh...good point.

DrJ

I only shave about once a week, and I still get razor burn on my neck. I am extremely gentle and I use a pre-shave oil and shaving cream, free of potential irritants. I also use a double-edged safety razor which supposedly is less harsh on your skin. Is razor burn connected to vitamin A deficiency?

I've been shaving with olive oil for about 10 years now and it's fantastic. I used to get razor burn pretty bad, but I don't get any with olive oil. Also, nics are much less frequent, but you're fighting an uphill battle with the 3,4,5+ blades they're selling now :). Probably other oils would work. Plus, you're gonna save a lot of money not using shaving cream! A few ounces of olive oil will provide a year of shaves.

I just put about a dime to nickel size spot of olive oil in my hand and then rub on face shaving area. Shave, and then it seems to work best using really cold water to rinse. Pat dry with hand towel or similar. I find my skin feels extremely smooth, soft, and awesome for several hours after this routine. But in a manly way :)

As an aside, funny story about how I learned about this. Back when I was beating my body up with triathlon, everyone (including guys) would shave their legs to prepare for the race. One day during stretching all the guys were complaining about how it's impossible not to cut your shins into a bloody mess, and asking the girls how they did it. And a few of them swore by olive oil, and sure enough, I wasn't bleeding from my shins like crazy after each pre-race shave. So I thought it would work on my face; been using it ever since.

M

marikay

I've been shaving with olive oil for about 10 years now and it's fantastic. I used to get razor burn pretty bad, but I don't get any with olive oil. Also, nics are much less frequent, but you're fighting an uphill battle with the 3,4,5+ blades they're selling now :). Probably other oils would work. Plus, you're gonna save a lot of money not using shaving cream! A few ounces of olive oil will provide a year of shaves.

I just put about a dime to nickel size spot of olive oil in my hand and then rub on face shaving area. Shave, and then it seems to work best using really cold water to rinse. Pat dry with hand towel or similar. I find my skin feels extremely smooth, soft, and awesome for several hours after this routine. But in a manly way :)

As an aside, funny story about how I learned about this. Back when I was beating my body up with triathlon, everyone (including guys) would shave their legs to prepare for the race. One day during stretching all the guys were complaining about how it's impossible not to cut your shins into a bloody mess, and asking the girls how they did it. And a few of them swore by olive oil, and sure enough, I wasn't bleeding from my shins like crazy after each pre-race shave. So I thought it would work on my face; been using it ever since.

What kind of razor do you use?

M

marikay

Ah, good question. I use one razor for 3-4 shaves, which for me is one week of shaves.

got it. thanks so much. gonna try to olive oil. do you ever run the triathlon in Hawaii?

DrJ

got it. thanks so much. gonna try to olive oil. do you ever run the triathlon in Hawaii?
Oh, I don't do triathlons now for quite some time, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It really took a toll on my body. I felt cold all the time and would basically just spontaneously fall asleep during the day, and after reading Peat, I now know why :)

M

marikay

Oh, I don't do triathlons now for quite some time, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It really took a toll on my body. I felt cold all the time and would basically just spontaneously fall asleep during the day, and after reading Peat, I now know why :)

I agree. I used to run marathons. I just thought if you had run the IronMan in Kona I might have seen you. I used to drive up from South Point to watch it. I really wish I had found Peat when I was running so much. Big, big, mistake.

DrJ

I agree. I used to run marathons. I just thought if you had run the IronMan in Kona I might have seen you. I used to drive up from South Point to watch it. I really wish I had found Peat when I was running so much. Big, big, mistake.
Right? Well better late than never, and it seems healing is possible.

tara

Someone put me on to coconut oil for shaving legs. End of post-shaving rash.

bobbybobbob

Are you shaving against or across the grain? I finally had to resolve to do just a single pass with the grain. Use long, smooth strokes, not short pulls. I do not get a very close shave this way and have to shave more often, but it's better than skin irritation.

I just use a little bit of bar soap for lubrication. The shaving specific creams and gels and oils seem fairly pointless.

celica1984

Have you experimented with different blades or a different razor/an adjustable razor? I use a DE razor, too, and some razors are just much too aggressive no matter what blade you use, technique, etc. I have a Russian adjustable now (Gillette clone) I think instead of buying a Merkur/etc unless you're a collector, if you have money a Gillette or Rubin adjustable is a better purchase as you do get the adjustment and then you can make it less aggressive of a blade angle and thus have less burn. I generally keep the setting at 3/9 or so. Also for second pass against the grain, you can turn it down, but use a more aggressive first pass. Some blades are also just terrible and irritating for me. The best blades I used were Personnas but the worst were Dorco and what's that brand... Derby. Astra is pretty good for me as well and is normally what I use. As far as other cheaper razors I've used that are very mild, Weishi is quite mild of a shaver and not very expensive. I wanted to try a Feather Popular as well, too, but as far as the collecting hobby aspect of it, I care less about DE shaving now.

No real input on shaving creams, or using olive oil, etc. For me I have noticed on my chin I just cannot shave against the grain, so I just do a second pass side to side.