Ray's Latest Newsletter Suggests Red Light Before Bedtime

ilikecats

I always have a ton of lights on right before bed and keep some lights on while sleeping

Fractality

We would like to see some excerpts from the newsletter regarding this. Thank you.

meatbag

We would like to see some excerpts from the newsletter regarding this. Thank you.

Just thought I'd mention that Peat charges 28$ for like 12 newletters that he sends out every other month, if you aren't subscribed its well worth the minimal price as it's the only thing he charges for and they're always insanely interesting. Kinda ridiculous considering the amount of info he puts out for free;

"The newsletter is available by email now, and it's $28 US which can be paid through PayPal, at [email protected]." -Ray Peat
(works cited:i copied that from danny roddy's twitter)

But yeah he does say that red light at night before sleep is helpful

Fractality

Just thought I'd mention that Peat charges 28$ for like 12 newletters that he sends out every other month, if you aren't subscribed its well worth the minimal price as it's the only thing he charges for and they're always insanely interesting. Kinda ridiculous considering the amount of info he puts out for free;

"The newsletter is available by email now, and it's $28 US which can be paid through PayPal, at [email protected]." -Ray Peat

Thanks, I'll subscribe. So it's $28 for 6 issues?

meatbag

Thanks, I'll subscribe. So it's $28 for 6 issues?
Nah its 28$ for 12 actually but they're delivered every other month. The most recent one was march so the next one will be sent out at the end of may probably and that would count as the first if you signed up now and then after your 12th one you get a renew notice

Fractality

Nah its 28$ for 12 actually but they're delivered every other month. The most recent one was march so the next one will be sent out at the end of may probably and that would count as the first if you signed up now and then after your 12th one you get a renew notice

Do you know if you get all 12 issues even if you pay halfway through the year? Or do you pay a prorated amount?

meatbag

Do you know if you get all 12 issues even if you pay halfway through the year? Or do you pay a prorated amount?
it's just 12 from when you start paying and isn't based on yearly cycles. It is just a locomotive that keeps on going and you can get on and off

TripleOG

Therapeutic applications like those in photobiomodulation studies (e.g., 200mW for 2 minutes) or a continuous deep red illumination from a distance lasting all night?

Pardon me, I'm not familiar with sending money through Paypal. Just send $28 to that email through paypal with my email noted and that's it? I'm automatically signed up for the next 12 issues?

Dhair

I asked Ray if I could send him money and he didn't respond.

meatbag

Therapeutic applications like those in photobiomodulation studies (e.g., 200mW for 2 minutes) or a continuous deep red illumination from a distance lasting all night?

Pardon me, I'm not familiar with sending money through Paypal. Just send $28 to that email through paypal with my email noted and that's it? I'm automatically signed up for the next 12 issues?
I asked Ray if I could send him money and he didn't respond.

Yeah, when you login to the paypal website you go to the "pay or send money" feature, and then send money to "friends or family", then you enter the email and in the notes put your email you want it sent to. In theory you should be able to just send money through gmail but I haven't seen anyone mention using that only paypal. There could be other methods but I'm not aware of them

@Dhair Yeah you can send it to him that way

@TripleOG I think Ray has only mentioned that he used the incandescents personally but I could be wrong of course, but it was only discussed as using at night before sleep, not during. I think people have tried using the light while sleeping but didn't enjoy it and it messed with their sleep. It probably helps in a couplke ways, reinforce the pattern of the sun where there wouldn't really be any blue light available in the evening and the red light helps the body relax also

yerrag

Not really, I get really sleepy sometimes after using red light.

It's not interesting to you since you already know its effect on you. But it makes me think how the reverse would make us less sleepy, as when we use our computers and tablets/phones right before bedtime.

Now I have to stop that habit and have a curfew and tell myself no more blue light after dinner. It would then mean I'd have to grab a book made from trees to read. But I wonder if I can still view from my chromebook if I had the night light feature turned on, which puts a yellow cast on the screen. It's a nice feature and if it makes a difference to my sleeping, I won't have to break my after dinner routine.

I know Ray has talked of eating cream to aid sleep, but if I'm not mistaken it's the first time he mentioned the effect of fats being helpful because it keeps the sugar from being digested too quickly during sleep. I could be wrong.

Also found it helpful he mentions having enough calcium and vigtamin D being helpful to sleep, as having no deficiency of both keeps PTH low, and high PTH disturbs sleep.

raypeatclips

it's just 12 from when you start paying and isn't based on yearly cycles. It is just a locomotive that keeps on going and you can get on and off

12 from when you start paying, no cycles for you to miss out on.

Yep send money to that address. I sent them another email after to confirm they had received it and whoever is on the other end confirmed, and I began getting my newsletters. Probably didn't need the extra confirmation email.

ilikecats

I gotta subscribe to that... Ray Peat always playin hard to get though he should just do it through his website :)