Ray's Latest Newsletter Suggests Red Light Before Bedtime

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Most of the old newsletters posted here are the same ones Ray has on his website.

T

tca300

Just thought I'd mention that Peat charges 28$ for like 12 newletters that he sends out every other month, if you aren't subscribed its well worth the minimal price as it's the only thing he charges for and they're always insanely interesting. Kinda ridiculous considering the amount of info he puts out for free;

"The newsletter is available by email now, and it's $28 US which can be paid through PayPal, at [email protected]." -Ray Peat
(works cited:i copied that from danny roddy's twitter)

But yeah he does say that red light at night before sleep is helpful
Thank you for posting this. I'm sure Ray would appreciate it.

Mito

Which I find very interesting...
The study he references https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3499892/pdf/i1062-6050-47-6-673.pdf

Intervention(s): The red-light treatment participants received 30 minutes of irradiation from a red-light therapy instrument every night for 14 days. The placebo group did not receive light illumination.

Conclusions:
We have demonstrated that red-light illumination positively affected sleep quality and endurance performance variables in Chinese female basketball players. Based on previous studies,6,12,14,15,33 we can infer that red-light treatment contributes to increased melatonin secretion in the pineal gland and muscle regeneration. To our knowledge, we are the first to demonstrate the positive effects of red-light treatment on sleep and aerobic performance, which is an interesting link with practical application to sports training. Although more studies involving phototherapy, sleep, and exercise performance need to be performed, red-light treatment is a possible nonpharmacologic and noninvasive therapy to prevent sleep disorders after training.

lampofred

Oh my goodness. I just tried sleeping with 500W of incandescent light on me and I had possibly one of the best naps of my life.

Red light also makes me insanely hungry. I spent $50 on food today.

TripleOG

Thanks. @raypeatclips @meatbag

The study he references https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3499892/pdf/i1062-6050-47-6-673.pdf

Intervention(s): The red-light treatment participants received 30 minutes of irradiation from a red-light therapy instrument every night for 14 days. The placebo group did not receive light illumination.

Conclusions:
We have demonstrated that red-light illumination positively affected sleep quality and endurance performance variables in Chinese female basketball players. Based on previous studies,6,12,14,15,33 we can infer that red-light treatment contributes to increased melatonin secretion in the pineal gland and muscle regeneration. To our knowledge, we are the first to demonstrate the positive effects of red-light treatment on sleep and aerobic performance, which is an interesting link with practical application to sports training. Although more studies involving phototherapy, sleep, and exercise performance need to be performed, red-light treatment is a possible nonpharmacologic and noninvasive therapy to prevent sleep disorders after training.

Thanks for posting.

660nm
30 minutes
30J/cm2
Eyes covered.
Clothed (competition swimsuit).

Those with body lights can replicate this pretty close. Idk how my smaller 12W handheld device can compare but I'll be giving it a try.

Momado965

Thanks. @raypeatclips @meatbag

Thanks for posting.

660nm
30 minutes
30J/cm2
Eyes covered.

Those with body lights can replicate this pretty close. Idk how my smaller 12W handheld device can compare but I'll be giving it a try.

I used to to do that with Red Light Man's mini 670(I think) before I broke. Got some pretty gpood results.

sladerunner69

Does anyone get chronically sore eyes from using bright light? the only thing I have found to help is wearing sunglasses in my room which is annoying...

OP
ecstatichamster
Don’t use light in a way to have chronically sore eyes, throat or anything else.

schultz

I'd love to get all the old newsletters and would pay for them all. Has anybody done this before?

yerrag

I've always thought those articles in Ray's website came from earlier newsletters. Is that the case?

Spartan300

660nm
30 minutes
30J/cm2
Eyes covered.

Does anyone know if this can be replicated with a Redlight Mini 670nm & if so the proximity it would need to be held?

Soren

Forum Supporter
When you consider that the light from fire is mainly in the red spectrum and that fire has a relaxing almost hypnotic effect this would make a lot of sense. I haven't read the newsletter but am considering the subscription, sounds like it is full of useful info.

Marcine

I always have a ton of lights on right before bed and keep some lights on while sleeping
According to Dr Jack Kruse, Dave Asprey and others we need to sleep in total darkness. If you get up in the middle of the night, you should only use red light. Our bodies need to cycle, plus there's other reasons for it that I can't recall but you can research.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals