Ray's Ice Cream Recipe

Fllora

Hi all, I've hunted all over this forum and the Web looking for his milk powder, coconut oil, sugar, and egg ice cream recipe and find it nowhere. Anyone have it? If so, please post! Thanks.

schultz

Hi all, I've hunted all over this forum and the Web looking for his milk powder, coconut oil, sugar, and egg ice cream recipe and find it nowhere. Anyone have it? If so, please post! Thanks.

I'm curious too. I know it's essentially coconut oil emulsified in egg yolk, sort of like mayonnaise without an acid, but it would be nice to know his steps and proportions.

LA

"I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary." — Raymond Peat (2011)

OP
F

Fllora

Cool, thank you LA. Sounds not-so-apetizing, but I'm going to give it a try. Powdered milk is harder to come by these days, guess people aren't using it much.

Khaled MK

"I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary." — Raymond Peat (2011)
Tried it at least 10 times. Never worked.

OP
F

Fllora

I made it shortly after getting the recipe. Used goat whey protein instead of milk powder, as that is what I had on hand, goat milk, coconut oil, a T. or so of coconut sugar, and an unidentified amount of the syrup from some Lithuanian sour cherries in syrup. It worked just fine - texture was good the next day, though it firmed up a little too much the day after. I made a half-recipe and ate quite a bit of it over the course of 24 hrs; it did not sit well, and I felt sick to my stomach for at least another day. Not inspired to do that again. I suspect it's way too much coconut oil at one time for me.

Birdie

I used to make Ray's Ice Cream and gained a lot of weight. I couldn't stop eating it. It came out great.

Birdie

Now I eat H-D vanilla.

exile

Ray thought hd changed the recipe and didn’t eat it in the last year or two fyi.

Birdie

Some flavors contain seed oils (more so in some parts of the world).
Only the vanilla, coffee and chocolate look good. I don't eat strawberries so that one's out. Ive found the ingredients in all the more complex flavors aren't good. The old basics have the same ingredients as ever on the label at least. Interesting that part you mention about "some parts of the world".

In other words, it isn't that all H-D is good ingredients ice cream...