Ray Takes Low Dose Testosterone

X3CyO

Aspirin gains

DaveFoster

I admit that I was kind of in a bad mood when I made that comment and that it might have sounded like I give Dr. Peat less credit than I actually do. If I didn't admire his work, I wouldn't be here.

But still: several of the responses to my comment are so defensive and avoidant of the actual idea I was trying to express that there's no point in quoting and replying to them individually, but do people really see no issue with the fact that someone who has spent their entire career researching hormones and asserting that a good diet/nutrition/environment can fix the majority of the issues that today's drug-based/pharmaceuticals-oriented medical industry pushes medicines for has to manually balance all of the hormones he claims that a good diet and thyroid supplementation will balance automatically? The specific issue that made me make that comment was that Peat has repeatedly said ADHD is caused by poor thyroid function/energy and he has repeatedly said that the cause of poor thyroid function is endotoxin and PUFA excess and also PUFA-deficient animals don't suffer from endotoxin. What is the implication behind that? Naturally anyone reading that would come to the conclusion that he thinks being PUFA-deficient/supplementing thyroid will basically balance all hormones/cure all brain-energy issues/etc. If anyone is PUFA-deficient, it's him, so why does he need all those exogenous hormones if PUFA-deficiency will cure so many issues as he claims? If PUFA-deficiency makes you hyper-metabolic with ample brain energy, how is it that he's able to handle so much caffeine without jumping off walls (he said an entire POUND of coffee only lasts him 2-3 days)? Why make all these unrealistic claims about the benefits of PUFA-deficiency if they are clearly not true?

I've learned a lot from Dr. Peat, am still learning a lot from him, and easily consider him a genius/one of the smartest people I have ever come across, but he tends to make exaggerated claims about what a good diet can do for you in terms of fixing health issues which personally has made me obsess way too much about finding the right diet for me/improving my thyroid function when the reality is that certain things just need drugs/hormones to fix. I realize this is my fault for taking what he says about PUFA too seriously, and that my irritation at finding out that PUFA deficiency won't cure everything (which should have been obvious) made me irritated at finding out he uses testosterone because if anyone is PUFA-deficient, it's him. Anyway, this has been a ramble and overall has just made sound like an idiot. Whatever.
Diet's like breathing. It's necessary, but not sufficient.

Wagner83

I admit that I was kind of in a bad mood when I made that comment and that it might have sounded like I give Dr. Peat less credit than I actually do. If I didn't admire his work, I wouldn't be here.

But still: several of the responses to my comment are so defensive and avoidant of the actual idea I was trying to express that there's no point in quoting and replying to them individually, but do people really see no issue with the fact that someone who has spent their entire career researching hormones and asserting that a good diet/nutrition/environment can fix the majority of the issues that today's drug-based/pharmaceuticals-oriented medical industry pushes medicines for has to manually balance all of the hormones he claims that a good diet and thyroid supplementation will balance automatically? The specific issue that made me make that comment was that Peat has repeatedly said ADHD is caused by poor thyroid function/energy and he has repeatedly said that the cause of poor thyroid function is endotoxin and PUFA excess and also PUFA-deficient animals don't suffer from endotoxin. What is the implication behind that? Naturally anyone reading that would come to the conclusion that he thinks being PUFA-deficient/supplementing thyroid will basically balance all hormones/cure all brain-energy issues/etc. If anyone is PUFA-deficient, it's him, so why does he need all those exogenous hormones if PUFA-deficiency will cure so many issues as he claims? If PUFA-deficiency makes you hyper-metabolic with ample brain energy, how is it that he's able to handle so much caffeine without jumping off walls (he said an entire POUND of coffee only lasts him 2-3 days)? Why make all these unrealistic claims about the benefits of PUFA-deficiency if they are clearly not true?

I've learned a lot from Dr. Peat, am still learning a lot from him, and easily consider him a genius/one of the smartest people I have ever come across, but he tends to make exaggerated claims about what a good diet can do for you in terms of fixing health issues which personally has made me obsess way too much about finding the right diet for me/improving my thyroid function when the reality is that certain things just need drugs/hormones to fix. I realize this is my fault for taking what he says about PUFA too seriously, and that my irritation at finding out that PUFA deficiency won't cure everything (which should have been obvious) made me irritated at finding out he uses testosterone because if anyone is PUFA-deficient, it's him. Anyway, this has been a ramble and overall has just made sound like an idiot. Whatever.
It's recommended and healthy to question Peat, so no need to apologize. As I said earlier in the thread I agree that using T when thyroid is available and is the "master" of all is intriguing, it would be nice if someone asked him why he does it, preferably the OP. As for why he needs "all" those exogenous hormones, I think things should be analyzed with honesty, yes he does take hormones, yes he plays with the balance despite a very restrictive diet that he thinks is best, but the amount of hormones he takes is very small, the variety of hormones is quite low (prog and T, thyroid in winter?), and he's 80. That's how things work, you age, you get older and you die. He has grey hair and ****88 up teeth too. There's also an other point, he thinks he knows enough and has experimented enough with hormones, biology and supplement so that he has no taboo with supplementing hormones.
When I tried high dose coffee over a couple of weeks it made me very relaxed, to the point of being well sedated. Other people have reported similar effects.

DaveFoster

I think the lucky ones who respond well to the change in diet alone suffer from no inherent pituitary dysfunction whatsoever.
Right: very rare these days, much less in an internet health community.

sladerunner69

Ray is clearly going through a midlife crisis, guys. Just leave him be, I am confident he will get over it on his own.

He just needs some time to accept the fact that the chance for that super-swole XXX bod is many days behind him.

Sucrates

"Both gene expression and functional studies indicate that T modulates the in vivosensitivity to dopamine (DA) agonists. Furthermore, the restoration of wheel running by T is inhibited by treatment with DA antagonists. These findings reveal that the free fraction of T, both via AR and indirectly through aromatization into estrogens, stimulates physical activity behavior in male mice by acting on central DA pathways."

Testosterone boosts physical activity in male mice via dopaminergic pathways

Spokey

There's only one way to settle this. How much can he bench!?
I'm in my forties, but I can sit on a park bench all day if the weather's good.

NathanK

Some people on here will read this and just see "...one milligram per day can have very strong effects, quickly." :p:
Commence countless thread replies by stating testosterone is a "Ray Approved" substance for any arbitrary reason.

DaveFoster

Ray is clearly going through a midlife crisis, guys. Just leave him be, I am confident he will get over it on his own.

He just needs some time to accept the fact that the chance for that super-swole XXX bod is many days behind him.
I wish old Ray could tell young Ray to avoid PUFA, take thyroid and move to the mountains. Maybe we'd see a 200-year old.

((PUFA-depleted state)) = time traveler.

Syncopated

One cup of coffee is about 100mg, not 500mg.

I take 100mg daily of caffeine.

Syncopated

It was probably the chromium in the wheat germ that cured his father's diabetes.

schultz

Now, i will say that though @lampofred post is cynical and judgmental, it is relatively dissapointing to learn that he takes T.

Really? I'm not disappointed myself.

He could take it just because he enjoys the boost in hormone levels

He said once in an interview that he likes to take DHEA because it gives him "nice dreams", the implication being it gives him sex dreams. I imagine testosterone would give nice dreams as well. Plus I think he has a girl so he's gotta stay libidinous for her. :eek:

Gotta take this old classic for a spin :cool

Haha, remember a caller called in and was like "Oh are you that guy who's all muscular?". I think he was referring to that pic.

It was probably the chromium in the wheat germ that cured his father's diabetes.

It was actually brewers yeast not wheat germ. I think someone made the correction earlier in the thread.

Haha, remember a caller called in and was like "Oh are you that guy who's all muscular?". I think he was referring to that pic.
I'll admit that was the first time I'd heard Ray sounding so confused and worried at the same time.

LeeLemonoil

"Both gene expression and functional studies indicate that T modulates the in vivosensitivity to dopamine (DA) agonists. Furthermore, the restoration of wheel running by T is inhibited by treatment with DA antagonists. These findings reveal that the free fraction of T, both via AR and indirectly through aromatization into estrogens, stimulates physical activity behavior in male mice by acting on central DA pathways."

Testosterone boosts physical activity in male mice via dopaminergic pathways

Cool Study. Estradiol crucial in the brain for maintaining physical activity in old age? Controversial. But maybe there is a link between high need for activity and copulation in individuals high in Test and E2 - probably Cortisol -> high aromatization. Think about many youngsters workin out like mad and chasing pus** like mad. That's not so healthy. Further interesting aspect of the study is the difference they found between T and DHTs effects for the paameters researched in the study. DHT does not stimulate that urge fpr activity.

Wagner83

I think dht does stimulate activity but some metabolites/precursors (which have strong gaba activity and lower cortisol a lot) may do the opposite.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals