Ray Seems Like The Only Person That Knows Serotonin Is Not All That

Eric88

Even alt health blogs still contribute to the notion you need more seritonin. I'm furious at such dangerous advice, it really ruined my health! Aswaganda made me more anxious for example. What's wrong with these people?!

boris

The answer to what it really does is even linked in the same article that calls it the hormone of wellbeing and happines: Serotonin syndrome - Wikipedia
They even tell you a cure :lol:: "Management is based primarily on [...] the administration of serotonin antagonists such as cyproheptadine"

It's a well oiled machine that keeps people in the dark and obedient to authority. I try to explain Peats ideas to my family for almost a year. They forget (or rather dismiss) everything I said the second I stop talking.

There are piles of studies and articles I send them that never get a second look.

Last edited:

boris

This is the reaction I get when I tell people PUFAs are bad:

yellow-fish-eyes_medium.jpg

They look at me like a fish ....and go about their day without saying a word.

When I talk about sugar though, younger health conscious people get ANGRY. Even if they consume sweets themselves.
Older generations seem to not object to sugar being fine.

postman

When I talk about sugar though, younger health conscious people get ANGRY. Even if they consume sweets themselves.
Lol
SBM1kke_d.jpg

Gone Peating

You have to bring up things gently that will get them to second guess what they think they know.

If you’re talking about healthy vs unhealthy fats ask them what are good sources of healthy fat. They’ll come up with a mixed bag usually with no rhyme or reason and probably include one of the veggie oils in the list.

Then ask “What about mayonnaise?” They’ll probably laugh and say of course not. Then you hit em with the what do you mean it’s just soybean/canola oil

LeeLemonoil

Yes, sugar is a great topic. If situation allows I ask the anti-sugarists if they can explain oxidative glycolysis. If yes, then usually they start to see that there must be something fundamentally beneficial about glucose and have never thought the obvious.
If no, then I don’t really care what individuals think about sugar.

What’s sick is that there are so many igborant petitions, NGOs and politicians that shill for taxing sugar.

OP
E

Eric88

I no longer try to educate others but I will do if I start a health blog. I might try to expose serotonin as dangerous. I try to find Cypro here but to no avail. It's no longer imported. Imo sugar is bad only for the teeth (brushing your teeth after it helps!) and if you have Candida/yeast infection like I do as it ferments to alcohol so I got that dizzy feeling after eating sugar and starches. :P Antibiotics side effects...

gaze

spot on. it’s either the fish look or complete anger. sometimes you’ll get the person who agrees with what your saying and listens very closely, but then you see them eating fries the next meal.

thomas00

there are publications that question serotonin as the happy chemical chemical. I guess they are just seen as outliers in a sea of evidence which says the opposite.

Beyond the serotonin hypothesis: mitochondria, inflammation and neurodegeneration in major depression and affective spectrum disorders. - PubMed - NCBI
Is serotonin an upper or a downer? The evolution of the serotonergic system and its role in depression and the antidepressant response. - PubMed - NCBI

At our depression research unit at the VA hospital, we did a direct double-blind research study on this theory. We split a group of depressed veterans into two groups. Both were given supplementary milkshakes every day, but half got milkshakes laced with 20 grams of L-tryptophan. Now, that’s a massive dose of an amino acid that goes directly from the stomach into the blood and into the brain and is synthesized into serotonin. Subsequently, half of the depressed veterans showed a massive increase in brain serotonin.

Every day we measured the depression levels of both groups with the Hamilton Depression Test. After a few weeks, we broke the code to look at the changes in depression levels in the two groups. There were absolutely no differences. The results were inconsistent with the theory that depression results from a deficiency in brain serotonin.

In 1975, that study was published in a leading psychiatric journal — Archives of General Psychiatry — but it largely went unnoticed until recent years. I went on to write chapters for psychopharmacology textbooks on brain serotonin and depression and other psychiatric disorders. I reviewed the entire world literature, and again came to the conclusion that it’s not clear why people are proposing this theory.

Finally, I asked my advisor, who at the time was one of the world’s top three psychopharmacologists, why we were putting all this energy into a theory about brain serotonin when I could not find any evidence for it. He said, “Well David, to tell you the truth, a number of years ago several of us got together to try to start the field of biological psychiatry. We know there are thousands of substances in the human brain, but the first one we learned how to measure with an assay, was serotonin. So, kind of tongue and cheek, we made up this theory that depression is due to too little serotonin and mania is due to too much. We just wanted to get the field of biological psychiatry going so we could submit grants to NIMH and get funding and start brain research.” I said, “That’s ridiculous as a basis for a dominant theory in our field. I’m not sure I want to spend my life doing research on something like this.” He replied, “Listen David, don’t rock the boat. I could get you started testing antidepressants for drug companies. You’ll make millions every year. You’re already becoming world famous. Don’t challenge the system.” I told him I don’t care about that stuff. I went into psychiatry because I wanted to see people get better, not because I wanted to have millions in grants.

https://www.brieftherapyconference.com/discovering-the-truth-an-interview-with-david-burns/

boris

You have to bring up things gently that will get them to second guess what they think they know.

If you’re talking about healthy vs unhealthy fats ask them what are good sources of healthy fat. They’ll come up with a mixed bag usually with no rhyme or reason and probably include one of the veggie oils in the list.

Then ask “What about mayonnaise?” They’ll probably laugh and say of course not. Then you hit em with the what do you mean it’s just soybean/canola oil

Yes, sugar is a great topic. If situation allows I ask the anti-sugarists if they can explain oxidative glycolysis. If yes, then usually they start to see that there must be something fundamentally beneficial about glucose and have never thought the obvious.
If no, then I don’t really care what individuals think about sugar.

What’s sick is that there are so many igborant petitions, NGOs and politicians that shill for taxing sugar.
Great pointers :thumbup:.

spot on. it’s either the fish look or complete anger. sometimes you’ll get the person who agrees with what your saying and listens very closely, but then you see them eating fries the next meal.
This one is more difficult, I experienced it too. I'm shure some people just forget about it, but I think some don't say what they actually think.

boris

I no longer try to educate others but I will do if I start a health blog. I might try to expose serotonin as dangerous. I try to find Cypro here but to no avail. It's no longer imported. Imo sugar is bad only for the teeth (brushing your teeth after it helps!) and if you have Candida/yeast infection like I do as it ferments to alcohol so I got that dizzy feeling after eating sugar and starches. :P Antibiotics side effects...
Did you try some anti candida protocoll? I tried the high dose niacinamide for 3 days. I noticed my white tongue has gotten way less. Still waiting for flowers of sulfur to arrive and try.

too real

milk_lover

And some of them give you the sarcastic smirk as if they know it all and you are ignorant as ****