Ray Peat's Work Was HEAVILY Influenced By John Yudkin

tankasnowgod

Utterly fascinating clip here. At about 1:30, Ray Peat mentioned that he read "Pure, White, and Deadly" by John Yudkin around the time it came out. Apparently, he was so impressed with Yudkin's arguments that sugar raised blood lipids and cholesterol, that the arguments in Yudkin's book were the basis of Peat's recommendation that people under stress increase their sugar intake!

The whole thing is worthy of a listen (a bit longer than many clips, but still only 12 minutes)

Very nice overview of the issues with PUFAs and also the Burr experiment here. Probably the best overall explanation for some of the main dietary recommendations of Peat.

Also, if you know any low carb/paleo types that think the lipid hypothesis is completely false, play them this clip and ask for what justification they have for eliminating sugar.

TeaRex14

Funny how Yudkin accidentally stumbled upon something more significant then his actual findings, lol. See Yudkin was trying to defend the idea that saturated fat and dietary cholesterol didn't cause hear disease. However he wasn't against the idea that elevated serum cholesterol caused heart disease, so really what this amounts to is Peat taking Yudkin's mistake and building on top of it. I've never talked to Peat before, but I would imagine just by reading and listening to his content he's probably mostly influenced by Broda Barnes. Just a guess, but there's lots of parallels in their work.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

I've never talked to Peat before, but I would imagine just by reading and listening to his content he's probably mostly influenced by Broda Barnes.

I'm sure he was. I wrote the title of this post a bit tongue in cheek. Mostly, I was impressed that a book claiming that sugar was deadly convinced Peat of the exact opposite viewpoint, because of the very arguments made in the book, that Peat thought were correct.

gaze

Pretty on brand for ray to read an anti sugar book and use the findings to recommend sugar. Broda Barnes also recommended lower carb diets, shows ray picks and chooses what fits his overall goals instead of blindly following