Ray Peat's voice

G

gummybear

When I hear Ray talk in the radio, I always wonder, why does it seems he's being tortured every time he talks? It's as he's in alot of pain when he talk's. Does anybody here knows why it is like that?

norxgirl

My young sis-in-law is like that as well.....her IQ is in TOPS - Top One Percent Society........I just figured that might have something to do with it......a very active mind flooded with info that is very precise, choosing output from many, many variables....

OP
G

gummybear

norxgirl said:
My young sis-in-law is like that as well.....her IQ is in TOPS - Top One Percent Society........I just figured that might have something to do with it......a very active mind flooded with info that is very precise, choosing output from many, many variables....

So very intelligent people have voices that seems to be that they are being tortured? It's just agonizing to hear him because it's seems he's in so much pain.

pete

At first, I thought it was going to be a pain to listen to his interviews (and understand what he was saying),
but it's not that bad now, I suppose you get used to it.

OP
G

gummybear

pete said:
At first, I thought it was going to be a pain to listen to his interviews (and understand what he was saying),
but it's not that bad now, I suppose you get used to it.

LOL! :D

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
There is an interview with him back in 2000 and his voice is much deeper and strong. A big difference of lately.

Someone on another forum suggested his voice is like that because he keeps himself in a hypermetabolic state.

OP
G

gummybear

Charlie said:
There is an interview with him back in 2000 and his voice is much deeper and strong. A big difference of lately.

Someone on another forum suggested his voice is like that because he keeps himself in a hypermetabolic state.

Ok, so hypermetabolism is good? If im on this peat diet im gonna wind up with a tortured voice also? :eek:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Slight hypermetabolism is good.

I dunno gummy, I have found myself questioning his voice to.

OP
G

gummybear

Charlie said:
Slight hypermetabolism is good.

I dunno gummy, I have found myself questioning his voice to.

Yeah...Can anyone ask him maybe about the voice? If I get that voice too I don't know what I'll do...

nwo2012

I think he has become nervous. I guess because now there is a large focus on what he says that he feels nervous when talking, like he wants to say the right thing. Just my take on it. Maybe the hypermetabolic state he keeps for longevity, it makes you talk this way.

OP
G

gummybear

nwo2012 said:
I think he has become nervous. I guess because now there is a large focus on what he says that he feels nervous when talking, like he wants to say the right thing. Just my take on it. Maybe the hypermetabolic state he keeps for longevity, it makes you talk this way.

Hmm....

This doesn't make sense at all for me. If he get's nervous, shouldn't his excellent thyroid fix that nervousness? It is very contradicting for me. I don't know what to think.

Birdie

I like his voice. In some of the interviews, though, I think he may have been in the midst of some dental work. I don't perceive any nervousness on his part. But, he is trying to be precise, as somebody else said. He is just thinking as he talks. We are used to media types who talk quite differently. Also, he is answering questions, rather than giving a prepared lecture. That takes more thought and you can tell he is thinking which might seem to some to be hesitant rather than thoughtful.

OP
G

gummybear

Birdie said:
I like his voice. In some of the interviews, though, I think he may have been in the midst of some dental work. I don't perceive any nervousness on his part. But, he is trying to be precise, as somebody else said. He is just thinking as he talks. We are used to media types who talk quite differently. Also, he is answering questions, rather than giving a prepared lecture. That takes more thought and you can tell he is thinking which might seem to some to be hesitant rather than thoughtful.

He doesn't sound very healthy to me.

*waiting to get lynched*

J

j.

gummybear said:
Birdie said:

*waiting to get lynched*

it could be because he was sick all his life and maybe without his diet he would've been dead by now. he has an incredible mind for a 73 (is that his age?) year-old, or for any age really.

narouz

j. said:
gummybear said:
Birdie said:

*waiting to get lynched*

it could be because he was sick all his life and maybe without his diet he would've been dead by now. he has an incredible mind for a 73 (is that his age?) year-old, or for any age really.

What strikes me most in the interviews is how crisp and fluid and lucid his mind seems to be.
He can recite names (some very difficult scientific ones) and numbers and studies,
and his train of thought seldom wanders off down a dead end. You could almost transcribe what he is saying into an essay without much editing.

I've heard a lot of people speculate that his voice is influenced by his supposedly slightly hyperthyroid status.
One poster over on another forum a while back, who was also (induced) hyperthyroid, said her voice took on that same breathy quality.

I enjoy listening to him.
He always reminds me of some kindly-older-professor-type actor
in some movie I've seen which I have never been able to identify....

nwo2012

I agree, I find his voice very different but also very easy to listen to. I also find it a bit strange that what his voice sounds like would be so important or make his work any less important. Or saying he does not sound healthy? I find that ridiculous. Are we seeing a pattern here? Not trying to be controversial, just saying that's all.

narouz

nwo2012 said:
I agree, I find his voice very different but also very easy to listen to. I also find it a bit strange that what his voice sounds like would be so important or make his work any less important. Or saying he does not sound healthy? I find that ridiculous. Are we seeing a pattern here? Not trying to be controversial, just saying that's all.

nwo--

But you know: it's kind of inevitable...

If people reduce his work to
simply: who can Stay Alive longest?
who Looks most Amazing at age 65?

...many are going to judge his work like that.
It's over-simplified,
but because Peat is dealing with nutrition
one can see why people get focused in on health symbols--
how does his skin look,
etc, etc.

But I agree: it's more complicated.

OP
G

gummybear

nwo2012 said:

:D

Whatever.

peatarian

I noticed the same thing - the somehow scratchy voice. There are some comments in other forums about it. I don't think it's inappropriate to talk about it. RP himself makes fun of the way vegetarians and vegans look.

I have experienced this thing about the voice myself now. The better my metabolic rate (with lots of regular protein eating and good T3 ratio and progesterone, super temperature a.s.o.) the scratchier my voice sounds. Sometimes I sound like a boy reaching puberty.

If you listen carefully to Ray Peat you will notice that it seems like there are a million thought processes happening in his brain. It's not so much about finding words and saying them - it's more about picking one of the thoughts and choosing one the hundreds of words which would match to find the most accurate. It's not like normal verbal processes. It's more like he is trying to get some distance from his constant thinking to find the thoughts needed at this particular moment and regarding this particular question and then he describes what he sees in what he considers a simple language.

It's really like that: The more alert you are, the easier complex thinking becomes, the harder it is to express the thoughts verbally.
He says in the interview on youtube: "I don't consider myself fluent in any language." (You got to love him.)
RP spends a few days of every week without talking or reading or listening to words. He paints.

You will remember that he mentions how estrogen produces 'excited cells' in the brain, very much like cocaine, and by doing so makes us more fluent in any language. Of course only for some time and always with a high price. (He considers cocaine to be less harmful ...)

I think we are imprinted with the idea that thinking and talking have to be the same. They are not. Maybe TV gives this impression because it's hard to show how smart a character is without letting him say something intelligent. If you consider that you can read about 100 times more in the same time if you stop hearing your own voice in your head you might consider it possible that putting thoughts into words might actually slow you down.

If you try not talking for two days, not watching TV, not listening to music ... and you have enough thyroid ... you will notice the same about your voice I think and about your thinking.

OP
G

gummybear

peatarian said:
I noticed the same thing - the somehow scratchy voice. There are some comments in other forums about it. I don't think it's inappropriate to talk about it. RP himself makes fun of the way vegetarians and vegans look.

I have experienced this thing about the voice myself now. The better my metabolic rate (with lots of regular protein eating and good T3 ratio and progesterone, super temperature a.s.o.) the scratchier my voice sounds. Sometimes I sound like a boy reaching puberty.

If you listen carefully to Ray Peat you will notice that it seems like there are a million thought processes happening in his brain. It's not so much about finding words and saying them - it's more about picking one of the thoughts and choosing one the hundreds of words which would match to find the most accurate. It's not like normal verbal processes. It's more like he is trying to get some distance from his constant thinking to find the thoughts needed at this particular moment and regarding this particular question and then he describes what he sees in what he considers a simple language.

It's really like that: The more alert you are, the easier complex thinking becomes, the harder it is to express the thoughts verbally.
He says in the interview on youtube: "I don't consider myself fluent in any language." (You got to love him.)
RP spends a few days of every week without talking or reading or listening to words. He paints.

You will remember that he mentions how estrogen produces 'excited cells' in the brain, very much like cocaine, and by doing so makes us more fluent in any language. Of course only for some time and always with a high price. (He considers cocaine to be less harmful ...)

I think we are imprinted with the idea that thinking and talking have to be the same. They are not. Maybe TV gives this impression because it's hard to show how smart a character is without letting him say something intelligent. If you consider that you can read about 100 times more in the same time if you stop hearing your own voice in your head you might consider it possible that putting thoughts into words might actually slow you down.

If you try not talking for two days, not watching TV, not listening to music ... and you have enough thyroid ... you will notice the same about your voice I think and about your thinking.

Scratchy voice isn't exactly a healthy or appealing voice to me. Don't know about the estrogen in the brain making us more fluent in languages, it's been proven that some races have easier to learn other languages. Does this mean that these people have more estrogen? Sounds kinda silly to me.