Ray Peat's voice

peatarian

gummybear said:
Scratchy voice isn't exactly a healthy or appealing voice to me. Don't know about the estrogen in the brain making us more fluent in languages, it's been proven that some races have easier to learn other languages. Does this mean that these people have more estrogen? Sounds kinda silly to me.

I agree - 'proves' about the superiority or inferiority of races always sounds silly to me.

Ray Peat jokes in an interview that he is 'more fluent' when there is more CO2.
I have to say: If my brain works only half as well as Ray Peats I don't care if I sound like Janice from friends.

OP
G

gummybear

peatarian said:
gummybear said:
Scratchy voice isn't exactly a healthy or appealing voice to me. Don't know about the estrogen in the brain making us more fluent in languages, it's been proven that some races have easier to learn other languages. Does this mean that these people have more estrogen? Sounds kinda silly to me.

I agree - 'proves' about the superiority or inferiority of races always sounds silly to me.

Ray Peat jokes in an interview that he is 'more fluent' when there is more CO2.
I have to say: If my brain works only half as well as Ray Peats I don't care if I sound like Janice from friends.

Ehm.

A voice is such a deep, personal reflection of character, it's not just a composite grouping of sounds that you can put together.

InChristAlone

gummybear.... you seem so negative about Ray Peat and the diet, what is really going on here? Do we know what might have contributed to his voice? People do age, no diet is going to stop you from aging even if your thyroid is working optimally and you consume 0.0005g PUFA's a day.

AnnB

His voice sounded that way in 1997-8 over the phone...which made him seem older than he was at the time.

I have met a person (also male) who has that same voice pattern who is a computer geek/programmer. I think it might just be the intellectual process which makes them more hesitant/selective for words, and could also be a physical anomaly. I also thought he was older, until I met him.

I know a local woman who since a child/birth has constant shaky hands and slightly shaky speech, like she is nervous, but she isn't. I asked. She is a bright person, but no geek status.

narouz

AnnB said:
His voice sounded that way in 1997-8 over the phone...which made him seem older than he was at the time.

I have met a person (also male) who has that same voice pattern who is a computer geek/programmer. I think it might just be the intellectual process which makes them more hesitant/selective for words, and could also be a physical anomaly. I also thought he was older, until I met him.

I know a local woman who since a child/birth has constant shaky hands and slightly shaky speech, like she is nervous, but she isn't. I asked. She is a bright person, but no geek status.

Yeah. And while he does hesitate
(it's funny how wide a berth Josh gives him in interviews),
he always comes up with just the right word.
As I've said earlier,
one could transcribe his interview responses
without any editing,
and they'd be pretty close to publishable as is.

kettlebell

When I listen to his interviews I often find myself laughing out loud, leaning in towards the speakers and yelling things like

"Wow!"
"Ray, you're amazing, thats just so awesome!"
"That makes so much sense! What the hell are people doing?!

If I met Mr Peat I would struggle not to immediately give the guy a massive hug.

In all seriusness I have so much respect for him as he has changed my views, the way I look and analyse things and the way I live. Probably the most influential person for me for a long time. If I were to meet Peatarian I would hug her too and probably cry (With joy). I get emotional reading some of her replies like I do when reading some of Mr Peats work (The stuff that means a lot to me, the stuff that reflects my situation)

Funny things emotions!

kettlebell

Just re read my last post. Not only is it off topic but it looks a bit stalkerish :oops: Just to clarify, Im not in the habit of walking round a high street and hugging random strangers :lol: Was feeling great last night when I wrote that, Im starting to get to the stage of consistency with actually feeling pretty good. Weight training is helping lots with achieving goals. Sense of achievement is underrated.

On Rays voice, Yes it seems a little scratchy but I find it intriguing. I have his interviews on all the time in the car and the way he talks makes it very easy to absorb the information he gives.

Birdie

On Rays voice, Yes it seems a little scratchy but I find it intriguing. I have his interviews on all the time in the car and the way he talks makes it very easy to absorb the information he gives.

I agree. I like his voice and find it soothing. Sometimes I fall asleep in the tub while listening. Don't worry, I won't drown. I'm in a lounge position with the feet braced.
My husband talks in the same way, when he talks. I enjoy listening to people who think as they go, rather than speaking in cliches.

The information is given in a soft, relaxed way.

dietf***ed

Ray's voice

Has the topic of Ray Peat's voice ever come up? My dad is in his 70's and has a fairly clear voice like some other 70 year old friends of his. I made him listen to one of Ray's interviews to try and change his starch heavy diet. But his first reaction was - "this guy sounds like a dying man!"

Even though I respect his opinions I had to admit that his voice doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Any thoughts?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
dietf***ed, I merged your post into a thread that already existed.

Birdie

I did notice his voice was stronger in the 1996 (?) NPR interview that Charlie posted the other day.

I still like his voice, but not everyone cares for that type. It's an intellectual's voice. Not the voice of a political commentator or an athlete. They tend to have strong, louder and more vivacious speech.

It depends what you're used to maybe.

Asimov

I like when someone asks a random, off the wall question and Peat goes...

"OHHHH!!....umm...." and then proceeds to rattle off some genius insight as if it has been on the tip of his mind forever and the caller just reminded him to talk about it.

Anyways, he doesn't sound sick to me. He sounds like an old man (no offense, but he is)

narouz

His voice sounded exactly the same to me on the recently posted 1996 interview.
That was what then...17 years ago.
So...if Peat is 75 now, he would've been 58 then.

We had a poster here briefly who said he knew Peat back in like the '70's as I recall.
I asked him if Peat's voice always sounded like that,
but I don't think he ever answered.

Jellyfish

Austin said:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19661002&id=sOVVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IOEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6883,223491

Looks like he's holding a cigarette there. Or maybe it's chalk... Who knows. Pretty much everyone smoked back then, right? It could just be some minor vocal chord damage that causes the voice.

Great find, young Peat looks handsome in a suit. :)

gretchen

I've assumed it's because he's old and has mucin build up on his vocal cords due to being hypo. Also, a lot of his ideas are different than what's preached in the mainstream, so he's spent his whole career correcting people and explaining things. That has to be tiring.