Ray Peat’s Thoughts on the Appropriate Amount of Fat in a Diet

Birdie

Thanks so much! Great point about managing expectations for weight loss. It’s so demotivating to not reach goals. I also think extreme deficits just bring short term or long term health issues.

About sugar, I do struggle with adding it to tea or coffee. When I was on my coffee craze phase years ago, I would have it black or espresso after espresso without sugar. Although I had small amounts of chocolate with it. I would always have so much energy after that, like a toddler. I used to think it was the sugar high which is super bad for me. Anyway, I have been adding sugar to my tea but I don’t like it. Maybe over time I’ll get used to it, especially in coffee.
I can't stand sugar in my tea. Love in coffee tho. Good luck with it !!

mamakitty

Me too! I have been adding flaked salt to my whipped honey and making everybody try it. It tastes like salt water toffee. Sweet and salty together is amazing! I put salt and honey in my orange juice too!
I love sweet and salty together. I eat salty raw cheese with raw honey and it’s yummy. I salt my hot chocolate, and even ice cream ?
Husband has a palate of a baby though and doesn’t like sweet and salty together, it’s a struggle to get him to try anything lol

I love sweet and salty together. I eat salty raw cheese with raw honey and it’s yummy. I salt my hot chocolate, and even ice cream ?
Husband has a palate of a baby though and doesn’t like sweet and salty together, it’s a struggle to get him to try anything lol

My husband is a baby like that too. Have you tried a pinch of salt in coffee with cream and sugar? It is yummy too! I love this ice cream combo, a drizzle of high quality fruity olive oil and a pinch of flakey finishing salt. So strangely yummy!

Attachments

• 20201027_134549.jpg
    20201027_134549.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 18

mamakitty

My husband is a baby like that too. Have you tried a pinch of salt in coffee with cream and sugar? It is yummy too! I love this ice cream combo, a drizzle of high quality fruity olive oil and a pinch of flakey finishing salt. So strangely yummy!

Wow, I have never tried olive oil on ice cream! I will have to give it a go!

Regarding coffee, yes I do add salt, sugar, and cream to it when I do drink it. I’m planning on starting regularly drinking coffee next week. Every time I restart coffee, it makes me a little jittery and hungrier than normal, for some reason?
I also feel it gives me sleep issues, at least in the beginning. Right now, my baby is going through some sleep regression due to teething again, so I just gotta mqke it through this weekend with such little sleep haha

Wow, I have never tried olive oil on ice cream! I will have to give it a go!

Regarding coffee, yes I do add salt, sugar, and cream to it when I do drink it. I’m planning on starting regularly drinking coffee next week. Every time I restart coffee, it makes me a little jittery and hungrier than normal, for some reason?
I also feel it gives me sleep issues, at least in the beginning. Right now, my baby is going through some sleep regression due to teething again, so I just gotta mqke it through this weekend with such little sleep haha

Awww! I am so glad you found Ray Peat. Your sweet baby is getting off to a good start because of it. :)

mamakitty

We would give every bit of ourselves making it happen. It's exhausting worrying about them.
Oh man, I knew it would be a hard job being a mommy, but I had no idea how exhausting the constant worrying would be! Especially given my worrywart self ugh.
But yes, we would give whatever bits of ourselves for the betterment of our children, for sure!

Oh man, I knew it would be a hard job being a mommy, but I had no idea how exhausting the constant worrying would be! Especially given my worrywart self ugh.
But yes, we would give whatever bits of ourselves for the betterment of our children, for sure!
When they move away, it gets better, but not that much ?

B

BRBsavinWorld

Holy Crap thats a lot of fat! on a 3000 cal diet he'd be eating ~1000cals of fat aka 111g oof fat. That's nuts to me.
I found my sweet spot was low protein. I did not gain weight when I went to a high amount of fat/carb. It was roughly 1 stick of butter and 2 cups of sugar, a day. I’ve tried low fat for weight loss since finding Peat, and it’s never worked well.

If your thyroid and liver is functioning properly, you’ll convert the fat into steroids.

I’ve temporarily gone low fat just for the sake of concocting a truly low PUFA profile fat, but I absolutely feel better on high fat… I even started losing some body fat — which would imply that I did indeed produce more youth steroids, and lowered cortisol.
Feeling emotionally better, is also a sign of good steroid production. Adequate steroids in the body has been connected to mood — which Ray has shared studies of.

Last edited by a moderator: