Ray Peats Thoughts on Eating Duck?

jj101

Dose anyone know what ray peats thoughts are on eating duck? I seem to remember reading he was against all birds but I didn't know if that was just because of the typical soy diet they are fed or if there are other reason.

Would free range birds be ok?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jj101, welcome to the forum!

I have split your question off the topic it was posted in. I don't have an answer for this but hopefully someone will.

cliff

If the birds diet is high in grains/seeds it should probably be limited.

OP
J

jj101

Right, so providing the bird is on a natural diet it is OK?

I live on a farm and we have a few birds about that just eat what they can find.

Thanks for the quick responses.

jaketthomas

From what I can find on Duck, its fat content is 12.6% PUFA, so it's probably best kept to a minimum. Probably not the biggest deal in the world. Probably more stress worrying about whether you should eat it, rather than the negative effect it'll have.

jaketthomas

A duck's natural diet is heavy in grains! Ducks thrive off grass, grains, seeds, and seaweed. I live on Long Island, the land of the duck. A duck's diet isn't going to change its body structure all that much, whether it's eating corn, pellets, or grass. We're talking miniscule changes. Like single digit percentage points difference. I've eaten farm raised ducks, I've eaten ducks that lived in confinement, and I've also eaten wild duck, and they taste virtually the same. Oily, dark meat, gamey, not very good, IMO.

We're not talking grass-fed beef kind of difference in body structure here. Cows aren't supposed to be eating the things that commercial farmers feed them, and their bodies get all screwed up. They generally feed commercial ducks grain/grass/seed pellets, which is their natural diet.

Unless you go hunting for ducks in the woods, many miles away from civilization, your "wild ducks" are likely going to have been fed wonder bread by kids, McDonald's fries, bagels, bologna slices, pickles, etc. People feed ducks crazy stuff, and they eat virtually anything you give them. At least with commercial ducks, they're fed a steady diet.

Asimov

I'll mirror what Jake said. The majority of food birds are very well adapted to eat grains and seeds. That's kind of their niche in human co-evolution. We raise/care for them, they eat the inedible grain/seeds, we eat them. Winning

Ducks do have some-what high levels of PUFA, but meh. Baste it in butter, it'll be fine.

biggirlkisss

He says that birds like chickens are safer then pork due to their higher body temperatures making them lower in pufa. If your worried eat it with coconut oil.

Frecs

jaketthomas said:
A duck's natural diet is heavy in grains! Ducks thrive off grass, grains, seeds, and seaweed. I live on Long Island, the land of the duck. A duck's diet isn't going to change its body structure all that much, whether it's eating corn, pellets, or grass. We're talking miniscule changes. Like single digit percentage points difference. I've eaten farm raised ducks, I've eaten ducks that lived in confinement, and I've also eaten wild duck, and they taste virtually the same. Oily, dark meat, gamey, not very good, IMO.

We're not talking grass-fed beef kind of difference in body structure here. Cows aren't supposed to be eating the things that commercial farmers feed them, and their bodies get all screwed up. They generally feed commercial ducks grain/grass/seed pellets, which is their natural diet.

Unless you go hunting for ducks in the woods, many miles away from civilization, your "wild ducks" are likely going to have been fed wonder bread by kids, McDonald's fries, bagels, bologna slices, pickles, etc. People feed ducks crazy stuff, and they eat virtually anything you give them. At least with commercial ducks, they're fed a steady diet.

That is presuming a certain type of duck. Not all ducks are grain eaters. I have a small flock of muscovy ducks which are land ducks who eat primarily bugs -- lots and lots of bugs -- and some plant matter. Their meat is on par with grass-fed beef and are not as fatty as other ducks.

Mittir

Ruminants can convert ingested PUFA to saturated fats. Ray Peat Suggests beef, lamb, mutton etc, preferably grass fed.. Ducks will have significant PUFA even if they are eating their natural diet. It should not be a regular item in a diet. You have to remember it takes about 2 to 3 years for body to reflect change in your fat intake and it takes longer time to get rid of PUFA from our tissue. Half life for PUFA is around 600 to 675 days. Ray Peat also mentioned in one interview that people should keep PUFA intake below 4 grams. PUFA intake below 4 grams protects against cancer. Most natural foods have some PUFA. It will be difficult to stay below 4 grams if you add risky meats like ducks and chicken. Egg yolks are rich in PUFA. If you boil the duck most of oils can be skimmed off from the top.

Frecs

gretchen said:
Why would anyone eat something that you wouldn't naturally consider eating?

While you might not "naturally" consider eating duck, many people have and do.