Ray Peat's Thesis: William Blake And The Mysticisms Of Sense And Non-Sense (Available For Download)

Discussion in 'Articles & Newsletters Discussion' started by Frank Finley, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Frank Finley

Frank Finley Member

Hi,
    Wasn't sure exactly where best or appropriate to ask the following but here seemed as good a place as any. Would anyone on the forum know if a digital copy of Ray Peat's William Blake and the Mysticisms of Sense and Non Sense is available? I see this question was asked elsewhere back in 2014 with another online pointer at WorldCat to the only(?) physical copy at Oregon. I imagine the situation hasn't changed but being based in the UK puts me at a distinct disadvantage in attempting to access the book at Oregon (even if in theory it would be possible!). If anyone at the forum has contact with Dr Peat, perhaps he could be encouraged/persuaded to allow a copy of his Blake thesis to be available online. I imagine a significant number of people would be very keen to read it! Many thanks in advance. Frank Finley.

2. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Someone could walk in and take pictures :snaphappy:

3. OP
    Frank Finley

Frank Finley Member

Indeed, they could (?:D) Anyone near Oregon Uni ? And willing (with permission? @ Dr Peat)

4. Badger

Badger Member

Check this database of dissertations and see if you can find it here - it has over 2.3 million entries:
    Dissertations - Find a Dissertation

If not, get with the reference librarian at your local university or public library and ask them to order a copy of it for you. There is a national and international network of interlibrary loans and document retrieval that almost all libraries are tied into, so this should be relatively easy to get one way or the other. For this, they will photocopy it and ask you to pay mailing and photocopy costs.

5. OP
    Frank Finley

Frank Finley Member

Many thanks for the link and advice, Badger. I'll ask at my local library.

6. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

There's only one copy

7. Badger

Badger Member

No matter, the library containing the thesis, if they are part of the Inter-Library Loan (ILL) system, would just make a copy of it upon request. Anybody going through ProQuest or a library that has ProQuest or is able to reach out directly to library with the thesis can get a copy. It's a pretty robust and wonderful system that's been operating for decades.

8. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

I'd go to mine but I haven't paid tuition in 3 years :cool

9. Badger

Badger Member

Get it through your local public library. Most halfway decent ones can handle it.

10. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Lol I'll give you 10 bucks if my small town public library can serve me a thesis from 3000 miles away and 40 years ago.

11. Badger

Badger Member

Give it a try. If they cannot do it themselves, they should be part of a state or county library network they can reach out to do actual work. If they resist doing it, ask them about their network. When this is all done, let me know, so I can tell you name to make $10 check out to. :)

12. Badger

Badger Member

When you enter a library, be sure to utter this phrase when you meet the reference librarian, "I would like to make an inter-library loan request." (covers copies of theses also). This magical phrase is known to open the door to gaining access to countless of those information artifacts known as "books" and "dissertations", plus other things held by libraries, no matter if old or far away. ;)

13. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

How do I say that in Italian?

14. Badger

Badger Member

You're in Italy? You got me on that one, as I don't know anything about the Italian library system.

15. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

16. lisaferraro

lisaferraro Member

17. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Feeling alone, the army's up the road
    Salvation a la mode and a cup of tea
    Aqualung my friend don't you start away uneasy
    You poor old sod, you see it's only me

Aqualung my friend don't you start away uneasy
    You poor old sod, you see it's only me