Ray Peats Ideas Applied To Boxing

_noozie

Some of you guys are freaking losers. I mean, seriously. If the dude wants to be a boxer, great! Hes not sitting there judging you for over analyzing everything and being incredibly nerdy.

Combat sports is highly entertaining, is a rush to compete in, and is part of our DNA. It’s as primal as you can possibly get.

Someone suggested drinking orange juice during training LOL. Come on dude. You don’t need acid sloshing around in your gut when your heart rate is 180.

Best advice I can give to you Anthony, is pick and choose some of the principals you see here. Some will work, some won’t. Drinking milk doesn’t work for everyone. Drinking OJ doesn’t work for everyone. Some people do better with very low fat. Some do better with fairly moderate amounts. Some thrive on coffee. Some, it’s like poison.

Don’t be like so many of the sheep on here and follow this stuff blindly. Your health regimen is vitally important to your cardio, mindset, and even your ability to take a punch. Don’t listen to the idiots who camp in front of their computer for 12 hours a day, and don’t actually LIVE life.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for speaking the much needed truth this forum needs to hear. Far too many sheep...

A more fulfilling life outside the confines of 'optimal health' as deemed by Peat's principles is healthier than a less fulfilling one 100% compliant with those principles. IMO, enriching activities and purpose should probably be emphasized before one gets into analysis of diet and formal health metrics.

sladerunner69

Some of you guys are freaking losers. I mean, seriously. If the dude wants to be a boxer, great! Hes not sitting there judging you for over analyzing everything and being incredibly nerdy.

Combat sports is highly entertaining, is a rush to compete in, and is part of our DNA. It’s as primal as you can possibly get.

Someone suggested drinking orange juice during training LOL. Come on dude. You don’t need acid sloshing around in your gut when your heart rate is 180.

Best advice I can give to you Anthony, is pick and choose some of the principals you see here. Some will work, some won’t. Drinking milk doesn’t work for everyone. Drinking OJ doesn’t work for everyone. Some people do better with very low fat. Some do better with fairly moderate amounts. Some thrive on coffee. Some, it’s like poison.

Don’t be like so many of the sheep on here and follow this stuff blindly. Your health regimen is vitally important to your cardio, mindset, and even your ability to take a punch. Don’t listen to the idiots who camp in front of their computer for 12 hours a day, and don’t actually LIVE life.

Hope that helps.

So your advice is, essentially, that no one should be giving him any? Intriguing approach, albeit lacking confidence in efficacy.

I think Peat's ideas and recommendations would be very useful, if not critical, to minimize the stress inherent to sports, particularly boxing. Raising androgens and lowering cortisol would help steady nerves during such an intense bought of aggressive fighting. Further, lifters and athletes across this board have cherished the merits of Peat for speeding the process of recovery.

Personally, I used to take several days to more than a week to feel fully recovered and improved from a strenuous weight lifting session, and that time has been shortened to a couple days, on average. I am rarely sore the day after a workout, likely because I have been able to minimize lactic acid build up and NO release.

that aside, boxing for health is indeed a terrible idea.

kyle

What can be said about risks of boxing can be said about any sport, more or less.

Don't over train (or train incorrectly) and don't neglect nutrition and you minimize injury risks.

Drareg

It’s good to be cautious though with sports like boxing,sports like sprinting,gymnast etc are physical and some "peaty" substances can help recovery,it’s not like you need a regular MRI after these sports,you can take an aspirin after a hard session and rest assured. Boxing however may need the stress hormones and inflammation a touch more particularly when it’s the head/brain getting regular blunt force trauma like that, I wouldn’t come out of the ring and knock back an aspirin if I had a headache for example,probably wait a few days after the fight and then use "peaty" substance.

BigBrain

boxing is very good. And for those softies starting to say its violence. Violence is human violence is natural. I dont say violence is the solution in first place. But its definetly a solution if the other approaches fails. The problem is if ppl dont use violence and let be evil ppl in mighty position because they say its bad i dont wanna become like the evil ppl who abuse violence.
An intellegent person knows when to use violence and when not. Its so easy stop lying to your nature and accept it that violence lies in your nature in some people more and in other less. Same with those vegans start to say that human isnt a meat eater.

Steene

I am doing full contact martial arts since nearly ten years and can emphasize not to train more than 3 times weekly (train/pause/train/pause/train/pause/pause something like this), don't use martial arts for losing weight because its extremely catabolic you will lose muscles very easy and in general eat enough in order to minimize the catabolic effects.

If you are doing strength training for muscle growth you better chose one, strength training or martial arts both only works in the very beginning.

raypeatclips

I am doing full contact martial arts since nearly ten years and can emphasize not to train more than 3 times weekly (train/pause/train/pause/train/pause/pause something like this), don't use martial arts for losing weight because its extremely catabolic you will lose muscles very easy and in general eat enough in order to minimize the catabolic effects.

If you are doing strength training for muscle growth you better chose one, strength training or martial arts both only works in the very beginning.

Why do you think its catabolic? I used to do Judo about 10 years ago, and it was very similar to HIIT, which I believe Peat has said positive things about. Sit down and learn a technique from the teacher, practise technique for minutes, rinse and repeat, until the sparring at the end, which was also very stop start, quick bursts of intense exertion, followed by several minutes rest, never getting over fatigued like endurance exercise.

Steene

Why do you think its catabolic? I used to do Judo about 10 years ago, and it was very similar to HIIT, which I believe Peat has said positive things about. Sit down and learn a technique from the teacher, practise technique for minutes, rinse and repeat, until the sparring at the end, which was also very stop start, quick bursts of intense exertion, followed by several minutes rest, never getting over fatigued like endurance exercise.

I am relying to Muay Thai, Boxing, Kickboxing, etc. 80% of training it's endurance this includes technique training, sparring (3x2 minutes, 3x3 minutes, and so on) and specific strength training (neck, abs, etc.). No one of my martial arts mates who is advanced or better in these sports looks any muscular and lean, only the guys who use bodybuilding testosterone dosages can combat this catabolic effect and maintain muscles.

nbznj

it's certain that boxing, just like any intense sports will raise cortisol and as someone who enjoys lifting heavy sh*t I feel for OP. Some people like this stuff. That doesn't mean we should ignore dieting in order to minimize damage caused from an adrenal and hormonal standpoints.

A very simple question then, which I can’t fully wrap my head around. Should a health conscious "extreme" sports enthusiast rather go for:

• a >95% clean, plastic free, whole foods only diet but a bit short in calories (say, 14x bodyweight if TDEE is around 15-17x) which may cause metabolic/hormonal issues - my experience being that low calories caused me to have low T / high cortisol symptoms

• a 75% clean diet composed of the healthy foods described above, however in order to reach a sufficient caloric surplus (18x bodyweight) some cheats will be introduced, which are by definiton very pro-inflammatory - everybody here knows about PUFAs
I only view this as choosing the lesser of the 2 evils. More calories through cheats rather than orthorexia, so that the higher activity level stays sustainable?

Note that I would always supplement vitamins A,D,E,K which imho are critical when ingesting a load of PUFAs

Constatine

For actual fighting skill increasing brain androgen expression will definitely help. Nofap is quite useful for this. As I'm sure you know boxers often refrain from ejaculation for weeks before fights. This fills them with masculine vigor and controlled violence.
Focusing and burst exercises that target the entire body like sprints, jumping, cleans, etc are better for androgen expression and is great for the central nervous system.
Throughout your career it is very important to take neuroprotective substances. Even something as simple as green tea will protect your brain to some extent.

Steene

For actual fighting skill increasing brain androgen expression will definitely help. Nofap is quite useful for this. As I'm sure you know boxers often refrain from ejaculation for weeks before fights. This fills them with masculine vigor and controlled violence.
Focusing and burst exercises that target the entire body like sprints, jumping, cleans, etc are better for androgen expression and is great for the central nervous system.
Throughout your career it is very important to take neuroprotective substances. Even something as simple as green tea will protect your brain to some extent.

Hehe I can tell you a lot of anecdotes about sparring sessions where the fight was won before it even started. In fights people can sense that something is different with you and are extremely intimidated by that. The other part is the aggressiveness which you can use for championship or sparring. You can try to optimize your DHT and dopamine as much as you want, if your androgen receptors in your brain are chronically down regulated you only get a little piece of that experience in comparison to a 'healthy' brain.

Regina

Hehe I can tell you a lot of anecdotes about sparring sessions where the fight was won before it even started. In fights people can sense that something is different with you and are extremely intimidated by that. The other part is the aggressiveness which you can use for championship or sparring. You can try to optimize your DHT and dopamine as much as you want, if your androgen receptors in your brain are chronically down regulated you only get a little piece of that experience in comparison to a 'healthy' brain.
"In ancient China the Taoists were concerned with longevity, and according to Joseph Needham (Science and Civilization in China) their methods included the use of herbs, minerals, and steroids extracted from the urine of children. " -- Ray Peat
Protective CO2 and aging

biggirlkisss

I was in a mai thai class and there was a guy there old guy had 23 years boxing experience he told this girl never fight anyone because you never know what people are capable. He told me years later he said that because he got seriously hurt so. Besides being charged with assault it a good idea to avoid at all costs.

Regina

I was in a mai thai class and there was a guy there old guy had 23 years boxing experience he told this girl never fight anyone because you never know what people are capable. He told me years later he said that because he got seriously hurt so. Besides being charged with assault it a good idea to avoid at all costs.
Good advice.
Here is something Morehei Ueshiba, the founder of aikido said,
"There are no contests in the Art of Peace[Aikido]. A true warrior is invincible because he or she contests with nothing. Defeat means to defeat the mind of contention that we harbor within."

abady

I am an aspiring boxer and I find a lot of Ray Peats research very fascinating I was hoping for people more knowledgeable than I to help me apply some of his ideas to my sport.
make your diet simple eat lots of starches cooked with butter and salt( this is an insane recipe for endurance and gonna make you full for hours better than fruits) drink lots of milk it has the best protein you could ever ask for add orange juice, you can start from here with this simple diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals