Ray Peat’s 8000 Calorie Diet?

FinnRooney

"In my teens and twenties, I needed about 8000 calories per day when I was physically active, about 4000 to 5000 when I was sedentary, but after I took thyroid, I needed only about half as many calories.”

For the record, I’m not trying to replicate this, I just find this unfathomable, can some please have a stab at what 8000 calories would’ve been? I’m so curious because I find that impossible.

theLaw

I meant when ray peat was in his teens and 20's... a lot of the easy high calorie junk food we have today didnt exist when he was supposedly eating 4000-8000 calories.

Ray Peat would have been a teen in the 1950's when there was already plenty of junk food, not to mention the emergence of fast food.

A quick google search will show you foods from this era, but be aware, you might find them "unfathomable" or even "impossible".:cool:

OP
F

FinnRooney

Ray Peat would have been a teen in the 1950's when there was already plenty of junk food, not to mention the emergence of fast food.

A quick google search will show you foods from this era, but be aware, you might find them "unfathomable" or even "impossible".:cool:

Mate I'm just curious, I want to know because it might give better insight into how I can improve my caloric intake because I don't want to do it through adding sugar because Peat doesn't recommend eating refined sugar.

tankasnowgod

Mate I'm just curious, I want to know because it might give better insight into how I can improve my caloric intake because I don't want to do it through adding sugar because Peat doesn't recommend eating refined sugar.

Wat?

theLaw

False.

from Peat himself:

I think a total for sugar up to ten ounces can be o.k., depending on your metabolic rate and needs. Budd and Piorry used up to 12 ounces per day therapeutically.

A daily diet that includes two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice provides enough fructose and other sugars for general resistance to stress, but larger amounts of fruit juice, honey, or other sugars can protect against increased stress, and can reverse some of the established degenerative conditions. Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic.

If your other foods are rich in vitamins and minerals it's safe.

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

You might want to take some time and familiarize yourself with his work.

OP
F

FinnRooney

False.

from Peat himself:

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

You might want to take some time and familiarize yourself with his work.
Okay thank you, this is helpful. No I am familiar just it seems conflicting sometimes, most probably due to peoples interpretations of quotes that I've read. So I'm assuming the 10oz is sugar from all sources as opposed to just refined sugar?

theLaw

Okay thank you, this is helpful. No I am familiar just it seems conflicting sometimes, most probably due to peoples interpretations of quotes that I've read. So I'm assuming the 10oz is sugar from all sources as opposed to just refined sugar?

Perhaps you should stop listening to other people's interpretation of Peat's work, and read it yourself.

TeaRex14

A diet high in both saturated fat and sugar could get you there or close to it if you ate frequently enough. Not that unfathomable, eat some haagen dazs, coke, oj, fatty beef, tortilla chips, butter, coconut oil, fruits, sugared milk/coffee, etc. The bigger question would be could you eat 8,000 calories without getting stressed. You should never force food down when you're not hungry. So provided you're actually hungry for 8,000 calories and your metabolism holds up then go for it.

Herbie

Call up KMUD and ask Ray Peat, the man himself what he ate when he was eating 8000 calories, how he did it etc. It would be interesting to here about it.

I remember he said he was a surveyors assistant and sounds like it was a lot of labour in the summer in the woods.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

During his youth, Dr. Peat had hypothyroidism, which, in a paraphrase of his words can cause a "wasting" of calories

schultz

Perhaps you should stop listening to other people's interpretation of Peat's work, and read it yourself.

A bit of "tough love" here, so to speak, but I do find myself thinking the same thing quite often when some reading posts on the forum. A lot of peoples understanding of Ray's ideas are second hand it seems. Comon people, his work is wonderful! I am always so excited when a new newsletter or podcast comes out. I'd love to get my hands on all his old Newsletters. Has anybody asked him about this? (Getting his old newsletters that is)

OP
F

FinnRooney

A bit of "tough love" here, so to speak, but I do find myself thinking the same thing quite often when some reading posts on the forum. A lot of peoples understanding of Ray's ideas are second hand it seems. Comon people, his work is wonderful! I am always so excited when a new newsletter or podcast comes out. I'd love to get my hands on all his old Newsletters. Has anybody asked him about this? (Getting his old newsletters that is)
yeah definitely, I guess though most people on here have come from the diet mentally where they overthink everything (myself included) so a lot of people may be over analysing out of fear rather than true curiousity. I think the stress of this is probably worse than the details of your diet (to an extent). The healthiest looking people I’ve met (I don’t mean the ones that look attractive I mean the people that seem to just glow and radiate health) are people that don’t care too much, are content and love food for the sensation as opposed to ‘oh I’m on this diet’. Just my observation. Trying to motivate myself.

InChristAlone

I wanted to puke by the end of this. I have no idea how he fit all this in his body.

On a high fat diet, it's actually not that difficult to reach that number if you are eating many sticks of butter and cups of coconut oil, along with a lot of white sugar in your juice, milk and coffee and a lot of protein from beef and cheese. Doing this will increase your micronutriente requirements by a lot though.
Yeah, he writes in a very interesting way, it's so enjoyable reading his newsletters. I was wondering the same thing lately: where do I get the past stuff he has written?

Wagner83

Can't you just send a mail to the newsletter email address you used to suscribe?

schultz

Can't you just send a mail to the newsletter email address you used to suscribe?

Yeah I should do that. Would be great to read all of them. Apparently the 1st one is about how to protect yourself against nuclear radiation. The paranoid in me wants access to that newsletter... :tinfoilhat

managing

I believe a lot of junk food at that time would have been made with palm oil, hydrogenated oils, tallow, lard, etc.