Ray Peat wasn't always a proponent of a diet high in carbohydrates

Green Dot

and given his recent, public dietary changes, I think it's a good thing that he's still trying to view and interpret things from a different light.

I don't have his quote on hand but I bet someone can recall him saying that carbs weren't all that necessary since ketones are a good replacement a few decades back.

Sunny Jack

Ray allegedly wrote: "Many dietitians insist that you must have at least 100 grams of carbohydrate daily because the brain 'uses glucose.' However, the brain can adapt to using the ketones which result from fat oxidation" in his book Nutrition For Women.

This was referenced in the 2017 thread: Peat Used To Be A Fan Of Low Carb, No Sugar Diets

YourUniverse

Can

Being willing to change ones opinion is a mark of an open mind, it's the opposite of being dogmatic. This is a quality I highly appreciate Ray for, independant of whether it is true in this instance or not.

Last edited:
P

pineywoodrooter

There we go. Orange Man Bad.
It never corrects itself. Finds you, any where, any time, any place.

Lol yes. It's crazy isn't it? So many just can't let it go....even with out-of-control inflation, an inevitable recession on the horizon, the potential for another world war, and a clearly senile man serving as president. Why concentrate on any of that when you can lazer in on some mean words someone said a few years ago.

YourUniverse

Anywho as I recall coconut oil's MCTs can serve as ketone or ketone-like fuel, and fruits and potatoes contain ketoacids.

In "Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging, and inflammation", Peat had this to say on ketones in potato:
'An easily available and inexpensive source of ketones (in the form of ketoacids, which can be converted to amino acids if they aren't needed for energy) is the juice extracted (with a centrifugal juicer) from raw potatoes, which also contains proteins and other nutrients. The juice can be scrambled like eggs, and is usually tolerated even by very debilitated people.'

In "Tryptophan, Serotonin, and aging", Peat had this to say on ketoacids in fruit:
'Many fruits are deficient in tryptophan, yet have very significant quantities of the other amino acids. They also contain some of the “carbon skeleton” (keto-acid) equivalents of the essential amino acids, which can be converted to protein in the body.'

So, it seems there are many ways of getting ketone in the diet.

supercoolguy

Lol yes. It's crazy isn't it? So many just can't let it go....even with out-of-control inflation, an inevitable recession on the horizon, the potential for another world war, and a clearly senile man serving as president. Why concentrate on any of that when you can lazer in on some mean words someone said a few years ago.
They would run back into a burning house, if they knew DT sent the firetrucks to save them and their neighborhood.

Nevermind reality, Ive read something from 8 different news feeds, about something DT said,
......about this thing I know nothing about! :hiding

Pedigree

Background on your pfp? Link to the image? Thx
Petre Kako Mshvenieradze, what a beast

el ogro.jpg

He was quite bad, more jobs outsourced under his administration, tax cut where 80+% of the benefits went to the top 1% but he has people like you believing he's a man of the people :p:
Yes because if you opposed Trumps governance it means you automatically support the current regime...

P

pineywoodrooter

He was quite bad, more jobs outsourced under his administration, tax cut where 80+% of the benefits went to the top 1% but he has people like you believing he's a man of the people :p:

Yes because if you opposed Trumps governance it means you automatically support the current regime...

Where did I say you support the current regime? I was saying, and correctly so, that you are obviously still butthurt over "orange man" when there are clearly bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Where did I say you support the current regime? I was saying, and correctly so, that you are obviously still butthurt over "orange man" when there are clearly bigger fish to fry at the moment.
Butthurt? It's logic, my friend. If you posted something pro-Biden I would say the man is senile and has mental problems.

But I digress

OliviaD

Ray allegedly wrote: "Many dietitians insist that you must have at least 100 grams of carbohydrate daily because the brain 'uses glucose.' However, the brain can adapt to using the ketones which result from fat oxidation" in his book Nutrition For Women.

This was referenced in the 2017 thread: Peat Used To Be A Fan Of Low Carb, No Sugar Diets
Are you looking at that quote right now with your own eyes? Also, I noticed that the OP said "he hasn't seen the exact quote". This is BAD science and BAD journalism; although I understand this is the norm now. To take 'hearsay' - i.e not even having an actual quote; and then make a very dogmatic title i.e "wasn't always high carb". Let's do better, people. Do your own research. ONLY report on things you know to be fact.

I just read the book , the actual book, not a thread by someone else, or a blog or a video of someone else interpreting his work. I just finished the book last week and I can't go back and look for this actual quote now (is there a page number in any of these sources - because that is usually how things are documented), but I will, because I recall the section is is from also what his REAL message was. The implications being made have been taking completely out of context. BYecause he goes on to explain (and I'm paraphrasing) that while yes, the brain can adapt to ketones, it doesn't do it very well or easily and they can never replace the use of glucose completely or be used entirely. Which is why, the body will always be producing glucose via gluconeogenesis, despite the keto dieters desire to keep it from doing so.

His message was very STRONGLY made in this book. And in everything I have read from him from the beginning of his writing. I won't use the word "high" - but he has always emphasized the importance of adequate carbohydrates, and that the brain would not function well without a steady supply. There is a big difference between an organism being alive and functioning well.

This is an excellent example of what we see far too often being done by the media - in all areas. Isolated quotes taken out of context to smear someone's character, or make them appear to be saying something they are not, or to make it appear a study, or an article is saying the opposite of what it really is. Something to watch out for. ALWAYS go to the original source. I am shocked by how often I read blog posts or tweets claiming a scientific study says something and when I look up the paper it doesn't say that at all. The media is taking advantage of the fact that most people only ever read titles and headlines.

I apologize I guess I should have give more credit to the guy that offers such wisdom as “grab her by the p*ssy”

yerrag

Adapt.

This is key.

What you omit to mention is the stress of adaptation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals