Ray Peat Recommends 1g Protein Per Lb For Muscle

baccheion

I’ve been eating more protein for about 4 months now and it’s made a big difference. I have much better muscle definition comparable to what I had in my 30’s. I’ll be 50 in November.
What percentage as protein, fat, and carbs? How many calories? What height and weight? Wasn't aware women saw muscle favorably.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
What percentage as protein, fat, and carbs? How many calories? What height and weight? Wasn't aware women saw muscle favorably.
Protein is about 25% of calories. Calories @2100. Fat and carbs vary. I’m 5’2 and 121 pounds. I don’t look bulky or overly muscular though. I think my female hormone profile keeps that from happening. My 23&me said I genetically have musculature comparable to Olympic athletes as a trait-whatever that means!

This is an issue with me.

I'm about 160, but getting that much protein every day is a pain -- especially considering I don't prefer meat in high amounts every single day. There's milk, but I'd have to drink quarts of it!

Gelatin/collagen is another option, but not fully in my Peat arsenal yet. I used to eat beans and such more for protein, but that isn't my deal anymore.

I need to opt in for more gelatin and/or protein shakes I suppose.

Philomath

I’ve been eating more protein for about 4 months now and it’s made a big difference. I have much better muscle definition comparable to what I had in my 30’s. I’ll be 50 in November.
@Blossom , where is most of your protein coming from? My oncologist suggested I go vegan so instead, I’m limiting my meat sources to occasional liver, shrimp and tuna. I seem to do well with potatoes (my Irish lineage) so I’m ramping up the spuds. I also drink grass fed milk but I can’t afford a 1/2 gallon of that each day!
I’d be interested in knowing your strategy.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Blossom , where is most of your protein coming from? My oncologist suggested I go vegan so instead, I’m limiting my meat sources to occasional liver, shrimp and tuna. I seem to do well with potatoes (my Irish lineage) so I’m ramping up the spuds. I also drink grass fed milk but I can’t afford a 1/2 gallon of that each day!
I’d be interested in knowing your strategy.
I bought a side of beef from a family I know who raise their own cattle. It’s very nice quality.

OP
P

Pufa

I'm about 160, but getting that much protein every day is a pain -- especially considering I don't prefer meat in high amounts every single day. There's milk, but I'd have to drink quarts of it!

Gelatin/collagen is another option, but not fully in my Peat arsenal yet. I used to eat beans and such more for protein, but that isn't my deal anymore.

Yea gelatin goes great with hot foods.
But it sucks in cold drinks or smoothies.
Whey protein is amazing for getting the protein in if your a man and need over 160grams per day.
But you have to decide if it's worth the tryptophan.

ExCarniv

50g of cheese=16g of protein
500ml of milk=16g
2 eggs=14g
30g of Gelatin=25g

Approximately 87g of protein

Then you can rotate the rest of your protein needs with beef, liver, white fish, shellfish, occasionally organic pastured raised chicken etc.

I'm 140lbs and most days I hit my protein easily.

OP
P

Pufa

500ml of milk=16g
2 eggs=14g
30g of Gelatin=25g

Then you can rotate the rest of your protein needs with beef, liver, white fish, shellfish, occasionally organic pastured raised chicken etc.

30g of gelatin isn't easy to eat unless your mixing it with cooked hot foods.
For cold smoothies whey mixes much better

ExCarniv

30g of gelatin isn't easy to eat unless your mixing it with cooked hot foods.
For cold smoothies whey mixes much better

I mix it with soups, stews and sauces, and other option is make jello, easy to eat thru the day.

Whey is awful, Casein protein is better, have a favorable aminoacid profile with less tryptophan and you get Calcium too

OP
P

Pufa

I mix it with soups, stews and sauces, and other option is make jello, easy to eat thru the day.

Whey is awful, Casein protein is better, have a favorable aminoacid profile with less tryptophan and you get Calcium too

Good advice. Haven't tried jello yet. Whey def has too much tryptophan. Somehow I feel great on whey though so I'll still use it on heavy lifting days.
But I'll try out casein see how that feels.

500ml of milk=16g
2 eggs=14g
30g of Gelatin=25g

But let's not forget that I also keep myself mindful of PUFA and other things. Nothing against eggs, but but two plus milk and cheese and etc. can already easily exceed 5g of PUFA just from that alone (not factoring in other stuff that one may have it later that day or such).

Not too extreme, but I don't want > 10 grams/day of consecutive PUFA.

Maybe not with skim milk or 2 percent as easily, but cheese has it in small amounts too. But the casein protein rotated with some whey every now and then sounds ideal -- that way you can avoid having to drink more liquids to get more protein.

ExCarniv

But let's not forget that I also keep myself mindful of PUFA and other things. Nothing against eggs, but but two plus milk and cheese and etc. can already easily exceed 5g of PUFA just from that alone (not factoring in other stuff that one may have it later that day or such).

Not too extreme, but I don't want > 10 grams/day of consecutive PUFA.

Maybe not with skim milk or 2 percent as easily, but cheese has it in small amounts too. But the casein protein rotated with some whey every now and then sounds ideal -- that way you can avoid having to drink more liquids to get more protein.

Skimmed milk x 500ml =0.2g of pufa
parmigiana regiano x50g=0.3g of pufa

Pastured eggs have around 2.5mg of Vitamin E in contrast to 1.8g of pufa, so positive ratio, that's why Peat recommend to eat them daily, I personally don't count the Pufa in eggs because I always eat the best quality as possible and avoid regular eggs from supermarkets.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Myprotein.Com do a 100% casein protein with the 0 added ingredients, no flavour, no lecithin nothing. I add a splash of honey and salt or take it with semi skimmed milk. Great way to get protein intake up.

They also have a milk protein product but unfortunately that has lecithin.

Both supplements have lots of calcium too.

Carrum

I seem to do well with potatoes (my Irish lineage)
Potatoes have only been cultivated in Ireland since the late 1500's, which is no earlier than the UK or Spain, so it's not like the Irish have of a long history of spud munching. :D

Soren

Forum Supporter
Just to update to anyone who is interested. Myprotein.com now sell 100% milk protein with no added fillers. I will be buying some.

Milk Protein Powder

up to 1.1 per pound of Bodyweight is associated with increased strength in already experienced
Athletes,which have actually better Proteinefficiency.