Ray Peat Recommends 1g Protein Per Lb For Muscle

Discussion in 'Diet' started by Pufa, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Pufa

Pufa Member

I've heard it before but after hearing ray say it I really tried. It's tough! I'm 170 so its 170 grams of protein.

Is better to listen to your body and just eat till your full?

2. ExCarniv

ExCarniv Member

250g of lean beef, 30g of gelatin (or a bit less beef and more gelatin) 2 eggs a quart of milk and a block of cheese and you are around there.

I'm trying to bulk and most days I'm around 130-140g of protein. I'm 150lb rn

3. OP
    Pufa

Pufa Member

The gelatin does help increase the daily protein intake!
    Whey made it really easy too but I think you've read ray peats view on whey

4. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

It really does seem to make a huge difference.

5. ExCarniv

ExCarniv Member

Yeah, I used to drink whey shakes and get stomach discomfort every time.

6. paymanz

paymanz Member

he says increase metabolism and lower stress hormones with sugar, and maybe some fat if needed , then you need more protein as your metabolism increase.

7. teds

teds Member

I am never sure if this is per lean mass or just full body weight?! I’m sitting around 220pounds so there’s really no comfortable way of getting that amount in every day...

8. tygertgr

tygertgr Member

A lot of Peat's generalized advice seems to be targeted at relatively sickly or old people. Athlete focused studies find no benefit to going over 0.8 grams protein per pound of body weight, as I recall. And that's with very hard training. If you're not training hard, much less than that is probably fine. Old/sick people's protein sparing capacity is weakened and they need more.

If you eat a big burger or a pound of shrimp and suddenly feel amazing, then maybe you're chronically under-eating protein. Otherwise, I kind of doubt it's an issue. There is zero reason to force animal protein or dairy down and not just go by appetite. Probably better to focus on acquiring high quality sources. Take up hunting or fishing.

9. baccheion

baccheion Member

1 g/lb of lean mass is roughly equivalent to 0.8 g/lb overall mass. Anywhere from 0.8 to 1.2 g/lb lean mass (0.64-1 g/lb overall mass) is used on bulking calculators.

Standard bodybuilding advice is 0.8 g/lb protein, 0.4 g/lb fats, and the rest from carbs. It becomes 1 g/lb lean mass, at least half as many grams from fat, and the rest from carbs.

10. teds

teds Member

Is that basically assuming people are 20% BF though? What if someone is 30 or 40 etc etc? Male/female?

11. baccheion

baccheion Member

Hence the targeting of lean mass. 1 g/lb lean body mass rather than the equivalent 0.8 g/lb overall body mass.

12. teds

teds Member

So in my (limited) experience, people underestimate their BF percentage..

13. baccheion

baccheion Member

There's always a DEXA scan, especially if you take steps to ensure the results are usable. I believe they can also usually measure metabolic rate.