Ray Peat Recommends 1g Protein Per Lb For Muscle

Pufa

I've heard it before but after hearing ray say it I really tried. It's tough! I'm 170 so its 170 grams of protein.

Is better to listen to your body and just eat till your full?

ExCarniv

I've heard it before but after hearing ray say it I really tried. It's tough! I'm 170 so its 170 grams of protein.

Is better to listen to your body and just eat till your full?

250g of lean beef, 30g of gelatin (or a bit less beef and more gelatin) 2 eggs a quart of milk and a block of cheese and you are around there.

I'm trying to bulk and most days I'm around 130-140g of protein. I'm 150lb rn

OP
P

Pufa

250g of lean beef, 30g of gelatin (or a bit less beef and more gelatin) 2 eggs a quart of milk and a block of cheese and you are around there.

I'm trying to bulk and most days I'm around 130-140g of protein. I'm 150lb rn

The gelatin does help increase the daily protein intake!
Whey made it really easy too but I think you've read ray peats view on whey

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It really does seem to make a huge difference.

ExCarniv

The gelatin does help increase the daily protein intake!
Whey made it really easy too but I think you've read ray peats view on whey

Yeah, I used to drink whey shakes and get stomach discomfort every time.

paymanz

he says increase metabolism and lower stress hormones with sugar, and maybe some fat if needed , then you need more protein as your metabolism increase.

teds

Forum Supporter
I am never sure if this is per lean mass or just full body weight?! I’m sitting around 220pounds so there’s really no comfortable way of getting that amount in every day...

tygertgr

A lot of Peat's generalized advice seems to be targeted at relatively sickly or old people. Athlete focused studies find no benefit to going over 0.8 grams protein per pound of body weight, as I recall. And that's with very hard training. If you're not training hard, much less than that is probably fine. Old/sick people's protein sparing capacity is weakened and they need more.

If you eat a big burger or a pound of shrimp and suddenly feel amazing, then maybe you're chronically under-eating protein. Otherwise, I kind of doubt it's an issue. There is zero reason to force animal protein or dairy down and not just go by appetite. Probably better to focus on acquiring high quality sources. Take up hunting or fishing.

baccheion

1 g/lb of lean mass is roughly equivalent to 0.8 g/lb overall mass. Anywhere from 0.8 to 1.2 g/lb lean mass (0.64-1 g/lb overall mass) is used on bulking calculators.

Standard bodybuilding advice is 0.8 g/lb protein, 0.4 g/lb fats, and the rest from carbs. It becomes 1 g/lb lean mass, at least half as many grams from fat, and the rest from carbs.

teds

Forum Supporter
1 g/lb of lean mass is roughly equivalent to 0.8 g/lb overall mass. Anywhere from 0.8 to 1.2 g/lb lean mass (0.64-1 g/lb overall mass) is used on bulking calculators.

Standard bodybuilding advice is 0.8 g/lb protein, 0.4 g/lb fats, and the rest from carbs. It becomes 1 g/lb lean mass, at least half as many grams from fat, and the rest from carbs.
Is that basically assuming people are 20% BF though? What if someone is 30 or 40 etc etc? Male/female?

baccheion

Is that basically assuming people are 20% BF though? What if someone is 30 or 40 etc etc? Male/female?
Hence the targeting of lean mass. 1 g/lb lean body mass rather than the equivalent 0.8 g/lb overall body mass.

teds

Forum Supporter
Hence the targeting of lean mass. 1 g/lb lean body mass rather than the equivalent 0.8 g/lb overall body mass.
So in my (limited) experience, people underestimate their BF percentage..

baccheion

So in my (limited) experience, people underestimate their BF percentage..
There's always a DEXA scan, especially if you take steps to ensure the results are usable. I believe they can also usually measure metabolic rate.

morgan#1

It really does seem to make a huge difference.
Yeah I’ve noticed this. I ate 130+ grams of protein for about 3 days, (usually I eat 110-120), and I had really full muscles. It wasn’t fat, it totally went to the muscle. I weigh 122+

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yeah I’ve noticed this. I ate 130+ grams of protein for about 3 days, (usually I eat 110-120), and I had really full muscles. It wasn’t fat, it totally went to the muscle. I weigh 122+
That’s about my weight too. I’m definitely more muscular without doing any more exercise compared to when I ate only 80 grams.

OP
P

Pufa

Hopefully your female

OP
P

Pufa

where did peat say that

One of his kmud interviews. The question was how much protein if your weight lifting and he said about a gram per pound of bodyweight.
Hes not big on destroying your muscles in a workout but hes big on recovery.

baccheion

3 days isn't enough to gain relevant muscle mass. Maybe it resulted in higher HGH, a hormone that can push water into muscle.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
3 days isn't enough to gain relevant muscle mass. Maybe it resulted in higher HGH, a hormone that can push water into muscle.
I’ve been eating more protein for about 4 months now and it’s made a big difference. I have much better muscle definition comparable to what I had in my 30’s. I’ll be 50 in November.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals