Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

HDD

jyb said:
I always take gelatin with sugar and fat, and in small doses (1-2 tablespoons) spread throughout the day and at night. Never had issues.

What are you mixing it with? I add to coffee so can't do in evening.

jyb

I pour some hot water on the gelatin. I use the hydrolyzed. Don't need much water for it to dissolve, though its quicker if its hot. That's for the hydrolyzed gelatin, for non-hydro hot water is really necessary. Since it's not much liquid, I drink it on its own in the middle of a meal or something.

HDD

Ok, thanks. That seems simple enough. I don't like the taste of it so in smaller amounts I could down it quick rather than trying to overcome taste in coffee.

HDD

For years I hadn't slept through a whole night without waking, and I was in the habit of having some juice or a little thyroid to help me go back to sleep. The first time I had several grams of gelatin just before bedtime, I slept without interruption for about 9 hours. 
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml

Surfari

My potato juice starts to turn pink before I’m finished juicing, even the foamy stuff on the top turns pink – I’m assuming that it’s from being exposed to air, because at first it's a white/creamy color like in nwo2012's pictures. Does anyone see that as a problem?

jyb

I think colouring of various sorts is normal. It can turn black after a day in the fridge, and that has nothing to do with bacteria.

biggirlkisss

how do I make this protein potato

I got the juicer. Now how to I make and cook this potato like thing. Any guides?

edwardBe

Actually, raw potato starch is what's known as a "resistant starch" and can't be digested by the small intestine, so it doesn't qualify as a carb until it's cooked. So it is good to remove it before making soup, but it is a good food for the preexisting bacteria in your colon, who ARE able to digest it, preferentially feeding the good guys and therefore allowing them to outgrow the bad guys, supposedly. The bacteria convert it to butyric acid (one of the main fats in butter) and other short chain saturated fatty acids.

So, think about saving it to mix it with enough water to suspend it and gulp it down. I buy it by the bag and take it daily.

Here is a post on resistant starch from Free the Animal (Yes I know we aren't about Paleo, but it is interesting),
http://freetheanimal.com/2013/04/resist ... tance.html

Mittir

edwardBe said:
Here is a post on resistant starch from Free the Animal (Yes I know we aren't about Paleo, but it is interesting),
http://freetheanimal.com/2013/04/resist ... tance.html

This whole approach of feeding resistant starch to bacteria goes against basic
goal of peatian approach. This following study shows how raw starch lowers thermogenesis,
energy expenditure and glucose oxidation compared to cooked starch.

Am J Clin Nutr. 1995 May;61(5):1070-5.
The effect of raw potato starch on energy expenditure and substrate oxidation.
Tagliabue A, Raben A, Heijnen ML, Deurenberg P, Pasquali E, Astrup A.
Source

Department of Human Nutrition, University of Pavia, Italy.
Abstract

Because resistant starch (RS) is not absorbed as glucose in the small intestine of healthy humans, postprandial thermogenesis should be lower after the intake of RS as compared with digestible starch. To evaluate this hypothesis, we measured 5-h postprandial thermogenesis and substrate oxidation by indirect calorimetry after ingestion of 50 g pregelatinized (0% RS) and 50 g raw potato starch (54% type II RS) in 15 healthy, normal-weight young males. The subjects consumed each starch (mixed in diluted fruit syrup) twice on separate days and in random order. RS intake was followed by lower thermogenesis (46.5 +/- 13.1 compared with 115.4 +/- 10.4 kJ/5 h; P = 0.008), lower glucose oxidation (P < 0.0005), and greater fat oxidation (P = 0.013) than was pregelatinized starch consumption. Our results suggest that RS has no thermogenic effect and that its presence does not influence the size of the thermic response to digestible starch.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Bluebell

Just out of interest, stuff that claims to feed the good bacteria in the gut, wouldn't that feed the bad bacteria too?

jyb

At present, RPPS is the only thing I've found that has a strong and immediate effect on metabolism (other than light, sugar, coffee, aspirin...). I don't really respond to thyroid supp so far (whether dessicated or synthetic), although bloodwork shows it does kill my TSH. So, for anyone who is "resistant" to thyroid supplementation out there, which seems pretty rare even on this forum, I recommend RPPS.

I would love to respond to thyroid supplement instead, as making RPPS does involve a bit of work which I'd rather avoid, but so far I don't so I keep doing RPPS.

Mittir

Bluebell said:
Just out of interest, stuff that claims to feed the good bacteria in the gut, wouldn't that feed the bad bacteria too?

It depends on food. RP mentioned that Lactose feeds good bacteria.
I have seen studies that showed regular starch feed bad bacteria.
But i was not sure about resistant starch, though it should be. Since Regular starch and resistant starch
are very similar. I got this study showing resistant starch feeding gram negative bacteria.

The main substrate that is necessary for the growth of colonic microbial agents includes starch and complex carbohydrates which are usually available in considerable amounts in the bowel. In a study, carried out by a group from Minnesota, using hydrogen breath tests as an index of carbohydrate absorption in healthy individuals, up to 20% of a test meal of starch was found to be available for metabolism by the colonic microflora [69]. It has been found also that up to 10%, of consumed starch can escape the absorption in the small bowel [70], indicating that a considerable proportion of dietary starch reaches the large intestine. In another experimental study it has been shown that a significant increase in the total bacterial population of enterobacterial microbial agents was noticed in the faeces of rats which have been fed diets containing resistant potato starch when compared to those taking rapidly digestible waxy maize starch
[71]
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/cdi/2013/872632/#B71

edwardBe

Mittir said:
This whole approach of feeding resistant starch to bacteria goes against basic
goal of peatian approach.
In your opinion, that is.
Mittir said:
This following study shows how raw starch lowers thermogenesis, energy expenditure and glucose oxidation compared to cooked starch.
Yes, but that doesn't mean that it lowers thermogenesis, itself, it just means resistant starch is not as thermogenic as cooked starch, which is understandable, since it is not metabolized by the small intestine.

I was hoping to ask Ray directly about resistant starch, but I managed to miss the East West Healing broadcast on the 17th.

Bluebell said:

Supposedly different types of bacteria thrive on different substrates, and this substrate is something the bad guys don't or can't eat, apparently.

Resistant starch and regular starch are not "very similar" regular starch has been cooked, which is why it is digestible in the case of potato starch. Gram negative bacteria are not all the same either, they just react the same to one particular stain used in microbiology labs. "a significant increase in the total bacterial population of enterobacterial microbial agents was noticed in the faeces of rats which have been fed diets containing resistant potato starch when compared to those taking rapidly digestible waxy maize starch" This statement doesn't mean anything in terms of good bacteria versus bad bacteria. It just means that a larger percentage of resistant starch makes it through to the colon.

BTW, I'm suggesting this as a possible experiment, not as some kind of heresy. If you don't want to try it, then don't. I think we are free to experiment are we not?

Philomath

Has anyone tried to liquify the potatoes in a vitamix then strain with muslin or cheese cloth? I would assume the added heat from the blender won't be problematic since you cook the juice anyway.

HDD

I have the Champion juicer that I purchased years ago. There might be less expensive options now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals