Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This potato soup is strangely addicting.

narouz

Charlie said:
This potato soup is strangely addicting.

You know, Charlie, I was thinking of posting you over on the Minocycline thread about the RPPPS.
Because you seem to have some peculiarities going on with your bowels
(I mean before the antibiotics).

Maybe if you really focus on your digestion.
The RPPPPS would seem perfect for that.
I would like to see how you do with some different kind (chicken foot) of bone broth, too,
because bone broth, with most people, is supposed to be great for digestion.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh I actually havent had red meat in 4 days hoping it would help digestion, oh, and also iron of course. I think this is a record for me for not eating meat. Trying to get away from red meat and move over to stuff like this soup. Also, want to try the chicken foot broth, but I remember Ray Peat mentioning something about the bleach they use to clean it. But alas, it cannot all be perfect I guess.

jyb

Charlie said:
Yeh I actually havent had red meat in 4 days hoping it would help digestion, oh, and also iron of course. I think this is a record for me for not eating meat. Trying to get away from red meat and move over to stuff like this soup. Also, want to try the chicken foot broth, but I remember Ray Peat mentioning something about the bleach they use to clean it. But alas, it cannot all be perfect I guess.

Charlie, what is your opinion now on potato juice? As a way to diversify food intake while remaining low on starch, possibly reducing water intake too.

How long and at what temperature can the potato juice based food be preserved (whether whole, or fried into a pudding with coconut oil)?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think it's really great but it's a lot of work. It kept for 5 days or so in the fridge. Then I would pour some out and fry it up. I find myself craving it at times.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That seems like a pretty good juicer. On Amazon the Brevilles get good reviews.

jyb

How much carb does the juice contain? The starch has been filtered, so I assume not much. If so, it should probably be accompanied by some sugar - as usual.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thats a good question that I dont have a solid answer for. But I imagine it's not much if the starch has been filtered out.

Attachments

• ravi-payment-1.png
    ravi-payment-1.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 93

jyb

Charlie said:
That seems like a pretty good juicer. On Amazon the Brevilles get good reviews.

Those fruit juicers (> 700 watts) are officially not for starches (in the instructions, typically they say no bananas for example because its a starchy fruit). Are potatoes still ok despite not being recommended?

jyb

In my experience the best way to separate the starch sediment is indeed to wait. I tried some filtering with a muslin cloth (butter cloth, finer than fruit juice filter), but the filtered juice still exhibited sediments some time after. However, since one presumably does one large amount occasionally and stores it, its not a problem.

I'm speculating that for better preservation, one might leaves the liquid in the fridge, rather than refrigerating the cooked juice, which reminds me a lot of gelatin (but less elastic), as the cooking might disable the protective substance that keeps the potato from spoiling. And that the liquid could be preserved for the week. For longer, I don't see why freezing would be harmful - isn't it the case that freezing preserves even very fragile molecules like vitamins?

jyb

Let me further add, that the gelatin like "pudding" obtained from cooking the juice, seems to be due to remaining starch. Today I waited a few hours to filter the starches and was not able to get a pudding again within the same time frame, it stay liquid. Since it seemed devoid of starch, I wonder if cooking of the liquid is at all necessary (other than for the taste).

HDD

Swandattur wrote:
I think I tried that. A little while back, I would wake up feeling not good, and usually eating something would make me feel better and help me go back to sleep. For the most part, I have improved considerably on this. I wake up, feel okay, and go back to sleep without needing any food. On the cascara, I would wake up, feel okay, but not be able to go back to sleep. I would be just too wide awake. It is as if it is a stimulant like coffee. Eventually, the insomnia gets to me, though. I think the bamboo shoots did something similar. I'm back to the carrot, now. I might try taking the cascara in the morning, though, and see if my sleep is okay, then. Maybe after a while, I will try that experiment.

I totally agree with this observation.

1) Nights where I wake up with hunger or inability to fall asleep seem to be caused by an underlying issue that can't be fixed with just eating more sugar/fat/salt/gelatin before bed. Of course, it's always better to do that, and to eat again if interrupted during sleep in order to attempt to get back to sleep.

2) On the other side, nights with deep sleep tend to be less interrupted, and when interruption occurs, eating a bit to refill is entirely optional in order to go back to sleep. It's not clear in that case if the stores have emptied as much as in the first case, but due to a better physiological state one is more immune to stress which makes it possible to fall asleep without refill. Or if the better state means that less fuel is wasted, so that when woken up, one isn't stressed and is able to fall asleep without refill.

In my experience, RPPS is the only method to shift from 1) to 2) - way more potently than thyroid supp, gelatin, light etc. I'm pretty insomniac and unresponsive to thyroid supplementation, so I'm guessing most people with sleep issues may resolve this with simpler means. If anyone can tell me why RPPS is so beneficial to me (it's just another source of energy - ketoacids - which shouldn't make a difference if I'm able to digest sugar during the day?), I'd be grateful.

These quotes are from the cascara thread.

Jyb, this is very interesting about the RPPS. I also have insomnia quite frequently. Do you eat the soup for dinner or do you consume it right before bed? Do you still do all the other things with the soup?

jyb

Haagendazendiane said:
Jyb, this is very interesting about the RPPS. I also have insomnia quite frequently. Do you eat the soup for dinner or do you consume it right before bed? Do you still do all the other things with the soup?

It has a long lasting effect so it shouldn't matter. I do it during the day as part of a meal - it would be a lot of energy and liquid for a bed snack. However it might be useful right before sleep if exhausted and suspecting potential sleep issues - in that case RPPS might do the trick.

PS. It's not a soup but a juice. It's almost water (but with taste and color, and a light suspension of starch) if you waited for separation and scooped out only the liquid not the starch. I assume you tried the basics (incl. plenty gelatin) before considering this?

HDD

I do salt bath (some nights), red light, milk with sugar or OJ, progesterone and 25 mg Benadryl most nights. I haven't done gelatin at bedtime. Sometimes I get gas up high in ribs when I lay down so I get baking soda in water. Usually an aspirin and 30 mg pregnenolone early evening.
I do get a couple of Tbsps. gelatin throughout the day.

I thought you cook the juice.

How much do you consume of it at a time? I would think you could juice 3-5 lbs and have it throughout the week.

jyb

In my experience gelatin is important, day or night. RP's articles on gelatin are a lot about sleep.

I do a batch once a week for 3 consecutive days - I think 15-20 big potatoes are enough for 3 bowls. Yes I do boil the juice. I'm not sure how long it can preserved in the fridge (uncooked) - all I know is that 3 days is fine. The juice you get from the juicer still has starch, but one can leave it separate further in the fridge in a large container for an hour or more. At that point, there is a thin layer of starch floating at the top, and a large heavy layer at the bottom. One can scoop out the upper layer for trash. Then for each meal, scoop out some liquid while leaving the starch at the bottom untouched. There will still be starch, which will concentrate at the top for a few minutes during the cooking (but not a solid pancake like if you cooked the juice as soon as it was extracted from the juicer), at that point if you stir a bit (or remove it) it will mix and the result is a liquid.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jyb said:
The juice you get from the juicer still has starch, but one can leave it separate further in the fridge in a large container for an hour or more. At that point, there is a thin layer of starch floating at the top, and a large heavy layer at the bottom. One can scoop out the upper layer for trash. Then for each meal, scoop out some liquid while leaving the starch at the bottom untouched.

That's what I do.

HDD

jyb said:
In my experience gelatin is important, day or night. RP's articles on gelatin are a lot about sleep.

I do a batch once a week for 3 consecutive days - I think 15-20 big potatoes are enough for 3 bowls. Yes I do boil the juice. I'm not sure how long it can preserved in the fridge (uncooked) - all I know is that 3 days is fine. The juice you get from the juicer still has starch, but one can leave it separate further in the fridge in a large container for an hour or more. At that point, there is a thin layer of starch floating at the top, and a large heavy layer at the bottom. One can scoop out the upper layer for trash. Then for each meal, scoop out some liquid while leaving the starch at the bottom untouched. There will still be starch, which will concentrate at the top for a few minutes during the cooking (but not a solid pancake like if you cooked the juice as soon as it was extracted from the juicer), at that point if you stir a bit (or remove it) it will mix and the result is a liquid.

I thought gelatin was giving me an acid stomach so I backed off on amount. I will try upping it again.

Thanks for sharing on RPPS, think I will try that too.

jyb

I always take gelatin with sugar and fat, and in small doses (1-2 tablespoons) spread throughout the day and at night. Never had issues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals