Ray Peat on Sunglasses

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am not sure if this has ever been brought up but I was thinking about it recently. Does Ray Peat have a view about sunglasses? Do they do more harm then good?

I have been going au natural for the last year because I read somewhere that sunglasses are causing a lot of the eye problems but I do not know if that's true or not.

4peatssake

Charlie said:
I am not sure if this has ever been brought up but I was thinking about it recently. Does Ray Peat have a view about sunglasses? Do they do more harm then good?

I have been going au natural for the last year because I read somewhere that sunglasses are causing a lot of the eye problems but I do not know if that's true or not.
What a good question!
Clearly I do not know.
But I find it hard to drive without 'em when it's really sunny.
I'm interested to hear his views on this.

4peatssake

Found this from This Thread

Peatarian said:
I only recall that Ray Peat advised me not to wear sunglasses and to look into the sun for a few moments every now and then.

Gabriel

He cannot seriously recommend "looking into the sun". You'll destroy your retina doing that and it won't regenerate unlike may other cells in the body.

J

j.

Gabriel said:
He cannot seriously recommend "looking into the sun". You'll destroy your retina doing that and it won't regenerate unlike may other cells in the body.

Yeah, but I think he said that PUFAs enhance sensitivity. Maybe he is recommending it to people who haven't had PUFAs for years so they don't have it in their eyes.

Mittir

Gabriel said:
You omitted the part " to look into the sun for a few moments every now and then"
Most people knows that prolonged staring into sun causes eye damage.
Can you cite any source that shows that even if someone look into the sun for a few moments will have
retina damage?
I have heard him say to look at bright incandescent light for few seconds as red light
repairs retina damage. Sun light is a good source of red right. I know sun light has
damaging blue and ultra violet rays too.

J

j.

I feel that a PUFA-replete eye will be damaged by looking at the sun a few moments. PUFA-free, I have no idea.

aidan

He talks about how red light protects you from the damage from the sun's eyes. If you took out blue maybe protect you more.

LucyL

I think it is the William Bates method (for improving eyesight without glasses) that advocated an exercise where you turn your face into the sun and turn it from one side to the other while blinking your eyes. Perhaps it is that type of "momentary" exposure that is Ray Peat has in mind.