amd

On the last ORN interview he said:

"Oh, cut out basically all of the vegetables. I'm still trying oatmeal .. a little oatmeal breakfast, very easy, but that's the only vegetable material I'm still having."

On a previous ORN interview he said:

"Oatmeal for breakfast .. as long as you get enough milk in your diet, the mineral binding quality of oatmeal has scared a lot people away from it, but all you need is to make sure you are getting enough milk."

Keep posting this from his website, which people should read first:

"However, some types of fiber can exacerbate the problem, and some types (such as oat bran) have been found to increase bowel cancer in animal studies."

And from his references at the bottom:

"These three fibers [pectin, lignin, oat bran] significantly increase total bile acid output. Bile acids act as promoters of colonic tumors in mutagenesis assay systems and in various animal models."

Last edited:

I'm.No.One

In the past he didn't recommend oatmeal for long, but on the last ORN interview he said:

"Oh, cut out basically all of the vegetables. I'm still trying oatmeal .. a little oatmeal breakfast, very easy, but that's the only vegetable material I'm still having."

Keep posting this from his website, which people should read first:

"However, some types of fiber can exacerbate the problem, and some types (such as oat bran) have been found to increase bowel cancer in animal studies."
There was a Danny Roddy podcast in early spring (apologies I don't recall which one) where he was pretty pro oat bran & said it would take long term consumption to be problematic.

I've had good results with it 2-3 times a week as hot cereal with raw milk/maple syrup.

amd

Beware of mycotoxins in oats

Mycotoxins are natural metabolites of molds which may contaminate a variety of foodstuffs, particularly cereals. It is estimated that one quarter of the worldwide food produce is contaminated with mycotoxins, resulting not only in loss of earnings, but also representing a health risk for humans and animals. Mycotoxins can have carcinogenic, neurotoxic, immunosuppressive, mutagenic, teratogenic, hepatotoxic or nephrotoxic effects, even in low quantities.

Although oats are generally considered as relatively resistant to grain pests, they are not resistant to mycotoxins. Fusarium toxins T-2 and HT-2 are most common in oats, followed by deoxynivalenol (DON) and zearalenone (ZEA). In recent years, high levels of T-2 and HT-2 toxin have been found regularly in oats, particularly in Northern Europe. In addition, there was an alert by RASFF about ochratoxin A in organic oats from the Czech Republic last year.

Legal regulation

Because of their toxic effects, the most relevant mycotoxins are regulated by law. The following table provides an overview of the EU limit values according to Regulation (EC) No. 1881/2006. For T-2 and HT-2 toxin, no limit values are defined, but only reference values.

a.png

Nik665

Yeah, one thing I've discovered over the years applying some of Ray's ideas is the remarkable individual differences in physiology.

From a purely genetic perspective you wouldn't think humans could be so different, but we are, foods affect people differently. Part of that has to do with the microbiome, which varies significantly from one person to the other.

I do very well on oat bran, much better than oat meal and I've found it a very pleasant breakfast. It's ok if you don't, it's about finding what works for you.
Agree! genetics play a such an important role. i grew up on hot cheetos and giant chocolate chips, pancakes and pancake high fructose corn syrup. never really did athletics until i was 18 and have put body through so many terrible experiments, all meat, vegan, vegetarian, fruitarian, water fasting, dry fasting, marathons, then to just extreme lifting, military stress, scientist stress, no sleep, alcohol drugs, lol the list goes on, and i am one of the healthiest people i know compared to some of my friends who have eaten relatively healthy grew up on a farm with beautiful milk eggs fruit, cheese. also my genetics allow me to drink a crap ton of coffee without any issues where as some of them have one cup and have the jitters for a week lol. My grandparents eat terrible food, doritos, mcdonalds fries and hashbrowns are gramps favorites, eats refried beans in store bought pufa lard and eats snack reeces cups throughout the day, and uses vegetable oil for EVERYTHING ,hes 92 and still works a full time stressful job as a doctor. not bragging but genetics definitely play a role in how much crap we can get away with.

amd

Wheat bran doesn't increase bile acids (same reference as above).

East West Serotonin and Endotoxin

View: https://youtu.be/HZObPeBRiqo?t=1442

"Even firm fruits, the ones that have fibrous material, such as pectin crisp apples, crisp pears are very good bacterial food, very poor human food. Cellulose itself, the more pure the cellulose is, the less bacteria are able to break it down."

Web
"Cellulose is an indigestible, insoluble fiber found in fruits, veggies, and other plants"

"Fiber content in carrots varies slightly if you eat them raw versus cooked. Steaming carrots forces cells to hold on to more water, increasing soluble fiber content. In 3 1/2 ounces of steamed carrots, you'll get about 3.8 grams of total fiber. Of that amount, 1.5 grams is soluble and 2.3 grams is insoluble. Raw carrots have 2.8 grams of total fiber per 3 1/2-ounce serving. About .5 grams is soluble and 2.3 grams is insoluble."

Last edited:

Neeters 27

I cant eat any kind of slop like that. I like food that needs to be chewed. oats is for horses in my opinion. everyone on this site is overly concerned with food, just eat what you like and stop being so crazy. if you think about it, oat bran is highly processed, the bran belongs in the oats, so if youre gonna eat oats, eat the steel cut kind, cooked. rolled oats are ok but are steamed and turn into glue and I cant for the life of me put that in my mouth. whatever...

OP
L

Logan-

Why it could be worth a try
Up until the most recent Generative Energy podcast, I never considered including oat bran bran my diet, primarily for two reasons: 1) It's a starch, and most starches cause me digestive problems; 2) I previously learned from Peat that soluble fiber feeds gut bacteria, and since oat bran has lots of soluble fiber, I thought my intestines would not approve. However, in the latest Generative Energy podcast with Danny Roddy, Dr. Peat spoke positively of oat bran due the fiber content and resulting bulk formation:

The oat bran, I read that a cup of the cooked stuff--it's fairly filling, so a cup is a big serving--it has only 88 calories, where regular oatmeal has maybe 250 or so for the same thing--so it does provide some carbohydrate, but it's strongly buffered by the presence of the higher fiber content. And studies in animals showed that over a long run, you might have to worry about some of the breakdown products of the soluble fibers that can have an estrogenic effect, but in the short run--up to a year or so--its effect is a matter of the bulk and acceleration of the intestine, so it has an anti-estrogen effect for people who have been re-absorbing the estrogen that their liver tries to excrete. (RP)

He (and Danny) also makes the point that milk is important with the oat bran, due to the bran's high phytic acid and phosphorous content:

Some studies show it just about negates the value of the milk you have with it, so you probably have to eat extra milk--more than you think--but two quarts of milk takes care of just about everything. (RP)

My experience (just two days)
My diet is mostly liquids (goat milk and OJ) with some carrots, but lately I've had suboptimal sleep, mood, cognition, and a coated tongue. Two days ago I started having 1.5 cups of cooked oat bran for breakfast, which I cook with milk first thing in the morning, adding salt and sugar. Here's what I've noticed so far:

The good
-It's delicious. Just like Danny, Ray, and Georgi said, with some milk n salt n sugar, I love eating it. I actually crave it right when I wake up, and it's become perhaps my favorite meal of the day.
-I feel stable, calm, and energized after eating it. Both stomach-wise and brain-wise. My mood, cognition, and anxiety levels have improved in these two days, and I remain stable for hours after eating the oat bran, prepared as above, with some milk sugar n coffee on the side.
-It digests well. As stated above, I have an exceptionally sensitive gut and constantly coated tongue, but both have improved since starting the oat bran. My tongue is still not perfect but has gotten slightly better, and my tummy remains flat and comfortable after eating it.

The neutral
-No difference in poop bulk yet. I would love to have bulkier poops, but so far I haven't noticed any bulk formation from the oat bran.

So far, it feels like the oat bran is especially helpful because it's a solid meal, most of which don't digest well for me. With a diet composed mostly of liquids, my stomach seems to grab onto solid meals and use them as a digestive anchor, like pushing off the wall in a swimming pool for a boost amidst weak paddles. To find a solid meal that digests without problems (such as caused by unripe fruit or other starches) would be cool-aroonie.

Anyway, please share below any experiences you've had with oat bran. I'll update this thread with any bran-d new experiences I have.

“..the craze of using oat bran as the fiber and so people started doing research on oat bran happens to break down into bowl carcinogens, estrogenic fiber breakdown products and so they compared a clean cellulose fiber relatively uh wheat bran didn't break down to the carcinogens uh the way the the oat bran did but the good thing about cellulose is that it's practically resistant to bacterial breakdown so it functions only as fiber, stimulates peristalsis, cleans out, binds a lot of the estrogen and endotoxin so it’s very safe and usually effective but what there selling now it’s a very ornate bunch of assumptions building on the function of how it breaks down, they like to see the short chain fatty acids which they concentrate on some local effects that seem to be protective to the intestine but when you look at the systemic effects of these, lactic acid tends to go with butyric acid and propionic acid as products of the breakdown of these soluble fibers and these contribute to systemic problems as well as local damage to the intestine, so there’s a huge amount of research but it’s very selective and in a limited context, I see it as a giant advertising industry supported by the food products manufacturers.

“well-cooked oat bran or wheat bran is fine for for getting a temporary cleaning out you just don't want to eat a lot of oat bran every day for 30 years because it does release that mild carcinogen”

View: https://youtu.be/BaT9rH8pWUg

”studies in animals showed that over a long run, you might have to worry about some of the breakdown products of the soluble fibers that can have an estrogenic effect, but in the short run up to a year or so its effect is a matter of the bulk and acceleration of the intestines so it has an anti-estrogenic effect for people who have been reabsorbing the estrogen that their liver tries to excrete.”

View: https://youtu.be/l61D8dJzVWk

I too started using oat bran this week after hearing Dr Peat talk about it. My liquid diet has been problematic for me of late and I was considering ways to improve this anyway. I soak the oat bran/wheat bran in water with teaspoon of vinegar overnight and rinse in the morning. I do this to lower the phytic acid, however, I’ve just read that this does not remove phytic acid but it will help digestions. This article gives useful info on ways to reduce phytic acid.

From the article

Oats contain very little phytase, especially after commercial heat treatment, and require a very long preparation period to completely reduce phytic acid levels. Soaking oats at 77 degrees F for 16 hours resulted in no reduction of phytic acid, nor did germination for up to three days at this temperature.63 However, malting (sprouting) oats for five days at 52 degrees F and then soaking for 17 hours at 120 degrees F removes 98 percent of phytates. Adding malted rye further enhances oat phytate reduction.64 Without initial germination, even a five-day soaking at a warm temperature in acidic liquid may result in an insignificant reduction in phytate due to the low phytase content of oats. On the plus side, the process of rolling oats removes a at least part of the bran, where a large portion of the phytic acid resides.

How do we square what we know about oats with the fact that oats were a staple in the diet of the Scots and Gaelic islanders, a people known for their robust good health and freedom from tooth decay? For one thing, high amounts of vitamin D from cod’s liver and other sources, helps prevent calcium losses from the high oat diet. Absorbable calcium from raw dairy products, consumed in abundance on mainland Scotland, provides additional protection.

In addition, it is likely that a good part of the phytase remained in the oats of yore, which partially germinated in stacks left for a period in the field, were not heat treated and were hand rolled immediately prior to preparation. And some Scottish and Gaelic recipes do call for a long fermentation of oats before and even after they are cooked.

Unprocessed Irish or Scottish oats, which have not been heated to high temperatures, are availabile in some health food stores and on the internet. One study found that unheated oats had the same phytase activity as wheat.65 They should be soaked in acidulated water for as long as twenty-four hours on top of a hot plate to keep them at about 100 degrees F. This will reduce a part of the phytic acid as well as the levels of other anti-nutrients, and result in a more digestible product. Overnight fermenting of rolled oats using a rye starter—or even with the addition of a small amount of fresh rye flour—may result in a fairly decent reduction of phytate levels. It is unclear whether heat-treated oats are healthy to eat regularly.

PREPARATION OF OATS AND CORN

When preparing these grains according to traditional methods, such as those provided in Nourishing Traditions, the best idea is to add one or more tablespoons of freshly ground rye flour. Rye flour contains high levels of phytase that will be activated during the soaking process. This method reflects new information obtained since the publication of Nourishing Traditions. Even without the rye flour, overnight soaking of oats and other low-phytase grains greatly improves digestibility but won’t eliminate too much phytic acid. Another grain that benefits from added rye flour during soaking is sorghum, which is lower in phytic acid than wheat but lacking in phytase. (Buckwheat contains high levels of phytase and would not need added rye flour.) You can keep whole rye grains and grind a small amount in a mini grinder for adding to these grains during the soaking process.

OP
L

Logan-

i thought of all things bran would be considered "anti-peat" by most here and especially wouldn't be favoured by Peat himself based on his own research and what he's been talking about for years.
I agree, it’s interesting.

OP
L

Logan-

Gluten Cross-Reactivity Chart​

Coffee should be avoided by those who are Celiac and those who are very sensitive as it contains cross-reactive proteins similar to gluten.
The protein in coffee is the most common cross-reactor for gluten. Switching to decaf coffee does not solve the problem. Apparently, instant coffee is the worst offender.

Reference
Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences
Cross-Reaction between Gliadin and Different Food and Tissue Antigens

Note: Everyone is sensitive to alpha-gliadin even when you don’t notice it. That’s just your recover during night. But not everyone won’t get out of the trap…