Ray Peat On Light Bulbs

jaguar43

Ray Peat posted something interesting in his article "Pathological Science" regarding light bulbs.

Carbon filament bulbs made around 1900 often lasted decades; I had one that kept working until it was broken during a move in 1960. Light bulbs made in England 65 years ago, and in the Soviet Union, and bulbs currently made in China, had a life expectancy five times as long as the bulbs made in the US since GE learned how to carefully control the rate at which the tungsten filament deteriorates.

Pathological Science & General Electric: Threatening the paradigm

Does anyone know anything about the lights that he is referring to? He said that bulbs currently made in china last five times longer than the ones made in the U.S, Does anyone have a source for those lightbulbs ? Any brands or companies ?

sladerunner69

Ray Peat posted something interesting in his article "Pathological Science" regarding light bulbs.

Carbon filament bulbs made around 1900 often lasted decades; I had one that kept working until it was broken during a move in 1960. Light bulbs made in England 65 years ago, and in the Soviet Union, and bulbs currently made in China, had a life expectancy five times as long as the bulbs made in the US since GE learned how to carefully control the rate at which the tungsten filament deteriorates.

Pathological Science & General Electric: Threatening the paradigm

Does anyone know anything about the lights that he is referring to? He said that bulbs currently made in china last five times longer than the ones made in the U.S, Does anyone have a source for those lightbulbs ? Any brands or companies ?

They basically just have much larger tungsten filaments that arent coated with any sort of solvent.

OP
J

jaguar43

They basically just have much larger tungsten filaments that arent coated with any sort of solvent.

Thanks, I am actually looking to purchase some. Since most things are made in china, I wonder if it can be an american brand or should I look for chinese brands.

sladerunner69

Thanks, I am actually looking to purchase some. Since most things are made in china, I wonder if it can be an american brand or should I look for chinese brands.

Hmm actually i think lightbulbs are still largely manufactured in USA which I suppose is a valid reason to purchase american.

Ledo

but...but....but.....we have an existential environmental catastrophe looming...we must turn over all control...at any cost...or we are doomed!

sladerunner69

but...but....but.....we have an existential environmental catastrophe looming...we must turn over all control...at any cost...or we are doomed!

which one? If its not solar flares or magnetic polar reversal then I'm not buying it.

Ledo

Oh sorry @sladerunner69 , I got caught up in sarcastically making fun of climate change alarmism due to the extreme example in this post of a 100 year old light-bulb still working away vis-a-vis the modern practice of central bank controlled, fiat money fueled, credit expansion for the expressed purpose of driving consumerism at all cost to the environment.

In this example, you even have GE, former maker of 100 year light bulbs and part of the vanguard for "sustainable energy" as the poster child for feeding at the government trough, (the deal they got from Geitner unbelievable) now using planned obsolescence into all their current lightbulbs as though that is not a terrible waist of energy and resources impacting the environment!

So the very same people warning us about the looming environmental catastrophe, can't even avoid an embarrassing contradiction with their economic system.

And yes, you are right. Solar flares or magnetic polar reversal are a real potential threat, - not Co2. Ray even laughs at that one.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals