Ray Peat On L-Tyrosine

Lucas

I asked Dr. Peat about L- Tyrosine and this is his response:

Me:
I take 500 mg of the amino L-Tyrosine.

I fell good with it, but I have increased moles from it.

Is L-Tyrosine safe on the long term or it is pro-adrenaline and suppress thyroid function?

Thank you.

Ray Peat:

"I think it isn’t safe."

J

jb116

It's known that he doesn't particularly like supplementing isolated aminos.

golder

I wonder why he doesnt like it. Wouldve been nice to hear his reasoning

magnesiumania

Amino acids depend on balance. Its that simple. I messed myself up big time on amino acids. Particularly glutamine.

Frankdee20

Well, tyrosine isn’t essential, and can be made from phenylalanine.... then again the same can be said for Taurine ..... that could be why.... maybe it throws off some balance ... but he also thinks isolated aminos have impurities and are never quite 99 percent pure .... Tyrosine converts to Norepinephrine more so than Dopamine... but it is required for Thyroid hormones .... I don’t like Phenylalanine or Tyrosine as they cause intense inner agitation and anxiety ... maybe I am just GABA deficient or Tryptophan deficient

golder

Well, tyrosine isn’t essential, and can be made from phenylalanine.... then again the same can be said for Taurine ..... that could be why.... maybe it throws off some balance ... but he also thinks isolated aminos have impurities and are never quite 99 percent pure .... Tyrosine converts to Norepinephrine more so than Dopamine... but it is required for Thyroid hormones .... I don’t like Phenylalanine or Tyrosine as they cause intense inner agitation and anxiety ... maybe I am just GABA deficient or Tryptophan deficient
I also think I’m GABA deficient, or something is definitely wrong here. What’s the best way of diagnosing/curing an issue with GABA?

Frankdee20

I also think I’m GABA deficient, or something is definitely wrong here. What’s the best way of diagnosing/curing an issue with GABA?

Diagnosing ? Lol.... Outside of maybe a Quantitative EEG (Brain Map) or Spect Scan like Dr. Amen uses (to check Basal Ganglia activity), it’s just a guessing game, with trial and error.... Low GABA issues are the toughest ones to correct or enhance.... P5P, and Glutamic Acid are the substrates for its production via the GABA shunt.... That’s depending upon how good the Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase enzyme is functioning though..... Valerian can enhance that, KAVA can upregulate receptors, and Magnolia Bark is a direct agonist.... Taurine and Glycine just mimick GABA and won’t increase it.... Theanine can lower Glutamate and enhance GABA

Frankdee20

Dude, you can try a product called Theanine Serene with Relora (Magnolia and Berberine)..... It has good amount of Theanine, oral GABA, Taurine, and Magnesium.... It helps.....

magnesiumania

Vitamin A stimulate signaling in the frontal lobe to make more GAD (the glutamate»gaba enzyme) Apart from that i would enhance the function of astrocytes which depend on copper to clear excess glutamate. Copper require vitamin A to activate it via ceruloplasmin.

magnesiumania

For me thiamine as TTFD has been the most effective for producing more Gaba and clear glutamate and probably the most helpful supplement ever.

Dave Clark

I asked Dr. Peat about L- Tyrosine and this is his response:

Me:
I take 500 mg of the amino L-Tyrosine.

I fell good with it, but I have increased moles from it.

Is L-Tyrosine safe on the long term or it is pro-adrenaline and suppress thyroid function?

Thank you.

Ray Peat:

"I think it isn’t safe."

When he was asked on a Timpone podcast (if I recall correctly), he said it was okay, but not to use too much. Like I said in another thread, that is one of my complaints with Peat, he isn't consistent. I heard him say diametrically opposed opinions on melatonin, tyrosine, and other things that some of us use. To me, either you think it is good, or you don't, pick a side and stay on it, no gray areas. And, he is very vague about his opinions, not siting studies (or ones from ions ago) and not giving much explanation. As dead-on as he is about some things, he is behind on others.

Neeters 27

Smoke weed if you're a dude, take Progesterone if youre a woman. that's what me and my hubby do.

lau

would adding tyrosine &/or phenylalanine powder to goat whey powder be a good idea?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals