Ray Peat On Euphoria

Ray Peat said:
If you are far from the euphoric condition then it means you're basically degenerating structurally, aging, deteriorating, and maintaining the euphoric state is therapeutic. That's what happens when you eat progesterone, take active thyroid, t3, or pregnenolone, or sugar, or breath the right amount of carbon dioxide. Everything that doesn't cause injury and does cause energy or stability is going lead you towards a greater stability.
From the podcast Generative Energy #33 @ 22:50.

What's your favorite/top substance for euphoria? (Peat approved or not)

Here is a list of some of them from wiki:
Category:Euphoriants - Wikipedia

I'm going with ghb. It's Peat approved.
Euphoric/energetic at small dosages that does not last over an hour, and relaxing/sedating at high dosages which make sleep architecture very precise 4-6 hours wake up refreshed with pumped up muscles.

The problem with ghb is not to abuse it's euphoric state hour after hour, or combine it with other drugs if using it for sleep as you could die.
This probably goes with most substances that produce an intense euphoria. Use and abuse.

Aaron

My favorites:
Coffee with milk - I increase and decrease my intake day to day so that the higher dose days result in significant euphoria
Nicotine - used VERY occasionally results in euphoria greater than alcohol or marijuana and is potentially thyroid/gut/androgenicity promoting; have never experienced a nicotine withdrawal even with huge doses but I do believe aging is an issue with chronic use
Beta alanine and creatine (with whey) - used before a lifting sesh in a larger dose results in a very motivational androgenic feeling
Orange juice - sugar and vitamin C with all its cofactors and estrogen-reducing properties
Yerba mate with honey, lemon, and passion flower leaves - androgenic and highly euphoric before a summer run
Chocolate - I prefer a milkier chocolate (with only dairy and cocoa fats) but dark will do an even better job

I definitely believe euphorants are necessary to live a fruitful, creative and colorful life. The most anti-euphoric substance is probably PUFA, especially in the context of a low-carb diet.

It's good to be human again, to take off that evil-symbiote off my soul. (Social indoctrination + extreme armoring)

DavidGardner

My favorites:
Coffee with milk - I increase and decrease my intake day to day so that the higher dose days result in significant euphoria
Nicotine - used VERY occasionally results in euphoria greater than alcohol or marijuana and is potentially thyroid/gut/androgenicity promoting; have never experienced a nicotine withdrawal even with huge doses but I do believe aging is an issue with chronic use
Beta alanine and creatine (with whey) - used before a lifting sesh in a larger dose results in a very motivational androgenic feeling
Orange juice - sugar and vitamin C with all its cofactors and estrogen-reducing properties
Yerba mate with honey, lemon, and passion flower leaves - androgenic and highly euphoric before a summer run
Chocolate - I prefer a milkier chocolate (with only dairy and cocoa fats) but dark will do an even better job

I definitely believe euphorants are necessary to live a fruitful, creative and colorful life. The most anti-euphoric substance is probably PUFA, especially in the context of a low-carb diet.

I almost wish I could still get euphoria from coffee. But not feeling euphoric from it makes it less of a distraction, since I do it daily. Beta-alanine I used to like, but it worsened my tremors so I don't take it anymore. Creatine--don't feel anything. Chocolate is one of the best for me. Even Ghirardelli white chocolate--which is mostly just sugar and cocoa butter--does the job, telling me that stearic acid is involved in the mood uplift.

Tobacco is way better than nicotine, but I wouldn't consider it Peat-approved. If you do it multiple times a day, it eventually becomes a burden.

I would add pregnenolone, vitamin e, and k2. Vitamin E gives me instant relief from estrogen/lethargy feelings. Vitamin K2 is more dopaminergic. Pregnenolone seems to vary depending on the circumstance. Sometimes it's more euphoriant, other time more relaxant. It can seem very similar to nicotine, leading me to believe that nicotine partly elicits its effects by increasing allopregnanolone in the brain.

I would counter-argue, PUFA can feel highly euphoriant if you're accustomed to/craving high serotonin. I used to really like the way fish oil made me feel. And don't forget peanut butter, one of the most bingeable foods of all time. Loaded with PUFA, and people love it. As we transition from high serotonin to higher dopamine/GABA we learn to like the things the promote the latter two and not the former. I think people running on high serotonin crave PUFA sometimes to maintain their lackadaisical feelings.

Euphoric/energetic at small dosages that does not last over an hour, and relaxing/sedating at high dosages which make sleep architecture very precise 4-6 hours wake up refreshed with pumped up muscles.

The problem with ghb is not to abuse it's euphoric state hour after hour, or combine it with other drugs if using it for sleep as you could die.
This probably goes with most substances that produce an intense euphoria. Use and abuse.

i think he means euphoria, to eat a diet and you just feel really good, not to take drugs to experience euphoria.

but anyway, where did he say ghb is OK? ghb is the "date rape" drug also, so not sure where you would get it. but it supposedely puts you into deep relaxation state, ive read someone recovered their health issues from using it, it really relaxes you, i know john stamos one time had it in his body so he was experimenting with it, not sure from a recreational drug use or from health reasons, i dk its use out side of date rape drug, but i would want to learn more about it and if its safe

YourUniverse

Good thread. Interestingly, a Peat staple, aspirin, makes me feel sort of dull.

As far as euphoric, nothing beats orange juice, salt, and maybe some whey when its been a few hours since last meal.

opethfeldt

5-htp used to make me euphoric. In my experience, euphoria is a bad thing, while being slightly tired and calm is a good thing. Just my 2 cents.

i'd like to share a viewpoint from the eastern guru Saddghuru, i think the eastern philiosophy have bliss really well figured out, what he states is that bliss is a high energy state, which I see coinciding nicely with the work of ray peat, it makes sense as well because bliss and then ecstacy are higher on the emotional scale and bliss is happiness intisified and ecstacy is love intensified. I think it is nearly impossible for a person in low energy to experience / maintain these states

Aaron

i'd like to share a viewpoint from the eastern guru Saddghuru, i think the eastern philiosophy have bliss really well figured out, what he states is that bliss is a high energy state, which I see coinciding nicely with the work of ray peat, it makes sense as well because bliss and then ecstacy are higher on the emotional scale and bliss is happiness intisified and ecstacy is love intensified. I think it is nearly impossible for a person in low energy to experience / maintain these states
Awesome insight. I love Sadhguru; he speaks from such a depth of ancient cultural wisdom that largely goes ignored by Western society.

My favorites:

Curious how much nictotine you take in a dose?

Aaron

I almost wish I could still get euphoria from coffee. But not feeling euphoric from it makes it less of a distraction, since I do it daily. Beta-alanine I used to like, but it worsened my tremors so I don't take it anymore. Creatine--don't feel anything. Chocolate is one of the best for me. Even Ghirardelli white chocolate--which is mostly just sugar and cocoa butter--does the job, telling me that stearic acid is involved in the mood uplift.

Tobacco is way better than nicotine, but I wouldn't consider it Peat-approved. If you do it multiple times a day, it eventually becomes a burden.

I would add pregnenolone, vitamin e, and k2. Vitamin E gives me instant relief from estrogen/lethargy feelings. Vitamin K2 is more dopaminergic. Pregnenolone seems to vary depending on the circumstance. Sometimes it's more euphoriant, other time more relaxant. It can seem very similar to nicotine, leading me to believe that nicotine partly elicits its effects by increasing allopregnanolone in the brain.

I would counter-argue, PUFA can feel highly euphoriant if you're accustomed to/craving high serotonin. I used to really like the way fish oil made me feel. And don't forget peanut butter, one of the most bingeable foods of all time. Loaded with PUFA, and people love it. As we transition from high serotonin to higher dopamine/GABA we learn to like the things the promote the latter two and not the former. I think people running on high serotonin crave PUFA sometimes to maintain their lackadaisical feelings.

I haven't figured out where to buy high quality tobacco so I went with the Juul instead. Most popular and probably the cleanest nicotine vape out there. I've never had an addictive affinity for nicotine so I can dose it in small amounts once a week or so, but I wouldn't really recommend it because it's so easy to abuse.

I actually know what you mean about the semi-euphoric properties of PUFA's, but the long-term effects of consuming them is obviously a more depressed state. Numerous studies have linked PUFA's, or at least omega 6 fatty acids (which are 95% of the PUFA's consumed by most people), to major depression. When I was in a higher serotonin state I can definitely remember finding relief in the haze that sets in after eating a bag of potato chips. Fish oil is more pronounced I think because of its pharmacological properties, but lackadaisical is the perfect way of describing it. When I was taking 3-6g of fish oil per day in an attempt to recover from a concussion, as well as when I was taking just 1-2g per day for 2 years, I assumed the fish oil experience I craved stemmed from increased blood flow and reduction of inflammation in the brain. I now believe that was actually the feeling of having a suppressed immune system and rancid oils oxidizing inside my body. Terrifying how consuming just a gram of PUFA could so profoundly transform my day-to-day experience of life.

Peaty euphorants make me feel sharp and clearheaded and filled with positive energy, like a happy kid. And androgenic - stronger, higher energy, more confident, more honed and chiseled in actual appearance. This state is most conducive to productivity, creativity, exercise, everything you'd want in life. The blunted, care-free affect that results from PUFA's is entirely the opposite. Plenty of people can and do remain in the high serotonin, high inflammation state for years on end if not for their entire lives without the slightest realization that things could be more vibrant and exciting at every waking moment with the simple removal of foods they probably don't even like - nuts, seeds, fish fat. But the more PUFA's you eat, the more apathetic you are about eating PUFA's and the way they make you feel.

Curious how much nictotine you take in a dose?

Around 4mg, or the amount in one cigarette, once a week puts me in a good place. I use a Juul so I'll take 20-30 puffs over the course of an hour. If I'm lacking motivation, that or any other euphorant will allow me to bring it back. I don't recommend going and popping a 4mg piece of nicotine gum out of the blue though because nicotine is quite unpleasant if dosed too high.

Last edited:
OP
Insaneacinamide
i think he means euphoria, to eat a diet and you just feel really good, not to take drugs to experience euphoria.

but anyway, where did he say ghb is OK? ghb is the "date rape" drug also, so not sure where you would get it. but it supposedely puts you into deep relaxation state, ive read someone recovered their health issues from using it, it really relaxes you, i know john stamos one time had it in his body so he was experimenting with it, not sure from a recreational drug use or from health reasons, i dk its use out side of date rape drug, but i would want to learn more about it and if its safe
Not to sound harsh buddy but if you would have searched this forum "Peat ghb" and wikipedia "ghb" you would have found those answers about it. Along with pub med to learn more.
GHB - Gamma Hydroxybutyric Acid (Perhaps The Rarest And Most Expensive Dr.Peat Approved Drug)
That thread shows the link to the podcast where Peat talks about ghb.

The best euphoria I experience is before, during and after sex, especially the non-orgasmic type sex that I practice. There is nothing in the world like it, and I have recently discovered how to make it last and last. It is just an amazing feeling that cannot be described even before or after sex.

I do also feel that euphoria = good feelings, rather than drug-like "high". And those good feelings can continue throughout our lives, in the form of real genuine gratitude, real genuine love, real genuine just "being". It can be practiced and learned.

The best euphoria I experience is before, during and after sex, especially the non-orgasmic type sex that I practice. There is nothing in the world like it, and I have recently discovered how to make it last and last. It is just an amazing feeling that cannot be described even before or after sex.

I do also feel that euphoria = good feelings, rather than drug-like "high". And those good feelings can continue throughout our lives, in the form of real genuine gratitude, real genuine love, real genuine just "being". It can be practiced and learned.

Haha this excites me as I am learning about Tantra currently. I agree man it is so sexy, nothing beats timeless union

aguilaroja

"If you are far from the euphoric condition then it means you're basically degenerating structurally, aging, deteriorating, and maintaining the euphoric state is therapeutic. That's what happens when you eat progesterone, take active thyroid, t3, or pregnenolone, or sugar, or breath the right amount of carbon dioxide. Everything that doesn't cause injury and does cause energy or stability is going lead you towards a greater stability."

Stem cells, cell culture, and culture: Issues in regeneration
“In the 1960s, Marion Diamond's group showed that environmental enrichment, or progesterone, caused brains to grow larger, and that these changes were passed on to descendants in a cumulative, increasing way. This suggests that the factors that promote neurogenesis also cause changes in the apparatus of reproduction and inheritance, that support the development of the brain--probably including the methylation system, which is involved in regulating genes, and also mood and behavior.”

How do you know? Students, patients, and discovery
“Every meaningful interaction involves formative systems.

“Stimulation of sensory nerves can cause cells to move into the stimulated area, causing the organ to grow. Environmental enrichment causes brains to become larger, and to metabolize at a higher rate. All of these processes, from the level of energy production to the birth of new cells and the creation of new patterns in the brain, are called up in the formation of a functional system.”

managing

If I read his "euphoria" correctly, its MOL synonymous with "feeling the effects of dopamine".

Adderall, Ephedrine, Phenibut

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals