Ray peat newbie

Snosh1

Hello as you may guess I am a ray peat newbie and have started today. A bit of background- done paleo for the last 6 months going low carb and after finding ray peat on marks daily apple and doing a lot of research I see this as a better way of life. I am 16 and weigh around 8 stone 5, and my height is 5ft5. I know the basics, but just want to get a overall idea of the main things I should be eating, and what deviations/treats are allowed as I found with the primal diet I always fell of the wagon,any positive/negative expierences are welcome and thanks for your help

Swandattur

Just wanted to say, Hi! I think it's good you got off the low carb diet, because it seems to aggravate some health problems if not begin new ones in many people. There is a lot of interesting information here.

Mittir

Welcome to the forum.
There are only few strict restrictions. Avoidance of PUFA is the most important
suggestion to follow. It takes about 4 years to replace all the PUFA inside our body.
Adequate good quality protein, 80 grams at least, is essential for good health.
33-50 percent of calories from carbohydrate, mostly sugar ( milk, fruits, honey, table sugar etc).
Low iron, low starch, low soluble fiber ( raw carrot and cooked bamboo shoots are exception)
adequate sodium, potassium, magnesium and high ratio of calcium to phosphorus,
weekly serving of liver and seafood.
Good quality ice cream is allowed if weight loss is not a goal.
It is very hard to fall off the wagon in this way of eating.
It is a long term approach to health.
You restrict food when it bothers you in anyway .
Dairy and sweet ripe fruits are ideal food. There is a list of safe fruits.
Here are some useful links to basic dietary guidelines
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=588
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=187&start=10

OP
S

Snosh1

Thanks for your advice! How much gelatine should I be getting a day, and is low fat ice cream better?

OP
S

Snosh1

Swandattur said:
Just wanted to say, Hi! I think it's good you got off the low carb diet, because it seems to aggravate some health problems if not begin new ones in many people. There is a lot of interesting information here.
Hi!:) yeah it was quite stressful. Everything about peat's way of eating just seems right, and everyone on this forum is a lot nicer then on marksdailyapple

Satan

Trying to follow it as a strict program is far opposite of Ray Peat's philosophy. There is no "the" Peat diet, just "a" Peat inspired one. To understand Peat, you have to understand the basics of stress, hormones, and oxidative metabolism; and eat in a way to support energy production based on that knowledge. He rarely talks about specific dietary factors, he talks about biology and that is where our pool of information has been drawn.

He recommends orange juice because it offers sugar and nutrition without the cost of fiber and endotoxin.
He recommends milk because it offers protein and calcium without much iron, PUFA, phosphate, or anti-thyroid amino acids.
He recommends both of these because they are affordable and available.
Does that mean you have to consume either? No.

Satan

Snosh1 said:
Thanks for your advice! How much gelatine should I be getting a day, and is low fat ice cream better?

The main concern with ice cream is gums and carrageenan. Unfortunately, brands without it can be hard to find and expensive. Haagen Dasz is the popular one.

I tend to have 3-4 tablespoons of gelatin a day. It's more important to make sure it's properly dissolved though.

jyb

Snosh1 said:

Gelatin: the more the better in theory, in practice there's a limit due to cost and digestion (a massive amount of gelatin powder at once can cause trouble). I think the theory is well grounded for having it before bed (with other foods, never protein on its own) for sleep, when eating meat or shellfish to balance the amino acid profile and breakfast along with dairy as metabolism is still slow (and partially for dopamine). But if you can during the day it's good too because it count towards your daily protein amount which is high.