Ray Peat Is Officially Fashionable? Article In Harper's Bazaar

OP
G

gretchen

Re: Orange juice article in Harper's Bazaar

Yes, apparently. This article is about age spots:
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/ski ... age-spots/

According to Dr. Ray Peat, Phd :

"… age pigment or lipofuscin, was proposed to be such a material. It is a brown pigment that generally increases with age, and its formation is increased by consumption of unsaturated fats, by vitamin E deficiency, by stress, and by exposure to excess estrogen."

Peat helps the vain crowd. Yay?

Here is the author, Steven Macari's practice page:
https://www.slvrbk.com/nutrition-program/

Re: Orange juice article in Harper's Bazaar

Steven Macari of SLVRBK explains why good quality old school OJ might be just what you're missing.

Oh dear god no

narouz

All because of that new Kate Deering book.
Well...mostly just the bacon bookmark....

Dean

Where do we go from here, now that Peat's ideas have jumped the shark, or more accurately, devoured by the shark? I've been all over the map as far as dieting goes. Vegan, all meat, various other varieties of vegetarianism, gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free. I haven't tried 40 bananas a day while grazing on a gargantuan bowl of salad all along the day. That concept seems used up to me anyway. Damn gorillas.

Maybe it's time to hit the cosmic self-destruct button. Maybe this article and Peat doing his first extensive camera interview is "it" being pushed. What else is there? What if a gorilla parachuted salt in the jungle and no one noticed?

Spokey

Don't worry, the it crowd will mess it up. They'll still be lugging back pints of organic cold expeller pressed krill oil for the brain building omega 3s with their OJ and Mexican cokes while their livers get as big as houses before finally exploding and covering everyone around them in a fine mist of pate.

Amazoniac

I guess that this is why he decided to not be a public person, research on its own, and share in a modest way. Engaging with the media is very demanding and often disappointing.
It also must be disappointing for long time members of this community to witness this transition. On one hand I expect a decline in the quality of the discussions in this forum. On the other hand, and more positive, his ideas get exposed to the world more effectively, improving more lives; and there are going to be different perspectives questioning each other in here.
But for those who treat this community as a cult/crutch it's just a matter of time..

narouz

Amazoniac said:
It also must be disappointing for long time members of this community to witness this transition. On one hand I expect a decline in the quality of the discussions in this forum.

Maybe you are pulling our leg, Amazoniac?
I read the article gretchen posted.
I see no such "transition."

Amazoniac

I'm not being specific to this case. I'm reffering to the transition in general. As an example, the record of users online is pretty recent. This means that the community is opening and welcoming more diverse people. With time some mainstream media finds a way to shock people using Ray Peat's ideas. And so on..

narouz

Amazoniac said:
I'm not being specific to this case. I'm reffering to the transition in general. As an example, the record of users online is pretty recent. This means that the community is opening and welcoming more diverse people. With time some mainstream media finds a way to shock people using Ray Peat's ideas. And so on..

Okay.
This thread does dangle a tantalizing thought experiment.
Let's say...

"...The New Yorker magazine gets access to a lengthy interview with Peat.
The author is a very cool scientific writer.
This triggers a wave of notice.
Over the following year,
Peat actually becomes fairly popular in a niche sense.
He still won't allow his photo and other typical characteristics.
He is not at all a changed man.
But public awareness of him changes.

His ideas remain absolutely unchanged.
He remains uncommercial
in the sense that he doesn't try at all to cash in on his new-found popularity.

Question:
Are you still a Peatster?
Does anything change in your self-concept, your idea of yourself,
or the way you have identified with Peat and his ideas?

Amazoniac

I don't know if it's retorical but it doesn't matter anyway. We have to admit that what is exclusive has value, hence the cult around his ideas.
I find very valuable that the community is opening because is so easy to get attached to this cult, and feel cozy and warm in it. Perhaps by exposing it, this feeling ceases and it's time to detach and actually use what useful about his ideas, keep them in mind, and move on!
That doesn't imply leaving the forum, just not finding a sense of belonging in it..

narouz

Amazoniac said:
I don't know if it's retorical but it doesn't matter anyway. We have to admit that what is exclusive has value, hence the cult around his ideas.
I find very valuable that the community is opening because is so easy to get attached to this cult, and feel cozy and warm in it. Perhaps by exposing it, this feeling ceases and it's time to detach and actually use what useful about his ideas, keep them in mind, and move on!
That doesn't imply leaving the forum, just not finding a sense of belonging in it..

I do sometimes derive a sense of belonging here.
I don't know how real that is but... :lol:
I enjoy it from time to time.

That said,
there are good ways to experience belongingness,
and...less good ways...maybe kinda weird ways....

When Peat was asked about questioning:
"What should we question?"
He replied,
"Everything."

I don't think he meant by that
that we question everything except Peat. :)
(and his place in our lives, how we relate to him....)

What exactly are you expecting to happen? People are just now getting started with atheism and anti-sugar, it will be another twenty years before Ray Peat becomes remotely comprehensible. If the industry allows it, that is.

tara

Not a bad article. Addresses both the few low carb eaters and the more numerous high starch eaters. I've got both in my family.

If increasing popularity of some of Peat's key ideas stimulates an increase in supply of affordable unadulterated juices and dairy products, and of supplements without hazardous particulates, it might not be all bad. If it encourages any of our near and dear ones to consider some of Peat's ideas more seriously, I won't be complaining about that either.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals