Ray Peat Is Fine With Up To 30% Of Calories From Saturated Fat

Maljam

Since I got here I have been suggesting people that are struggling with their health and following the high carb approach should rethink their dietary model and suggested people consume more fat. I have been met with much conflict about this incredibly wild suggestion. I decided to ask Peat himself his thoughts about fat calories. I have attached a picture because without a doubt people would question it was true. Also, yes he does say 30% or less, but of all the figures he chose, he didnt choose 5%, 10%, 20%, he chose 30 percent of fat calories.

https://i.imgur.com/DIMTMqp_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Hans

Forum Supporter
Honestly I don't think people here consume low fat. Most likely moderate to high fat with high carb. "Intuitive eating" makes people go for fatty and sweet or fatty and salty.

Honestly I don't think people here consume low fat. Most likely moderate to high fat with high carb. "Intuitive eating" makes people go for fatty and sweet or fatty and salty.
High fat with high carb seems like a bad idea per Randle cycle according to Haidut. What do you think?

Jessie

"I think it would be good to aim for 30% of calories or less"

30% isn't that much, and I think it's pretty obvious the way he worded it 30% is the higher end of that spectrum. For people that aren't hypo, aren't sedentary, etc. they can probably handle around 30% without much issue. He also recommended 1% milk as a staple. Good luck getting 30% of your daily calories from fat while drinking 1% milk.

In fact, the entire context of that email suggests keeping fats on the low side.

"Generally using mainly carbohydrates for energy is better, because a higher respiratory quotient prevents reductive stress, the metabolism that can lead to diabetes, dementia, heart and kidney disease, cancer."

You're still confused about carb restriction and caloric intake. High carb diets don't cause weight gain, literally never. Hypercaloric diets, whether carb or fat based, will lead to weight gain.

OP
M

Maljam

30% isn't that much, and I think it's pretty obvious the way he worded it 30% is the higher end of that spectrum. For people that aren't hypo, aren't sedentary, etc. they can probably handle around 30% without much issue. He also recommended 1% milk as a staple. Good luck getting 30% of your daily calories from fat while drinking 1% milk.

In fact, the entire context of that email suggests keeping fats on the low side.

"Generally using mainly carbohydrates for energy is better, because a higher respiratory quotient prevents reductive stress, the metabolism that can lead to diabetes, dementia, heart and kidney disease, cancer."

You're still confused about carb restriction and caloric intake. High carb diets don't cause weight gain, literally never. Hypercaloric diets, whether carb or fat based, will lead to weight gain.

What are you on about? Honestly every post you quote of mine is incoherent and raises irrelevant points. Who is on about carb restriction? Who is on about weight gain? I asked Ray what fat calories he recommended. Then I talked about increasing fat for someone eating low fat and getting nowhere FOR HEALTH. Nobody is talking about weight gain.

Also 30% isn't much? You were recommending people eat 7% fat diets yesterday.

Yes 30% is the higher end of Peats spectrum, that is why the title clearly states up to 30%. But out of all the figures between 0 and 100 he picked 30, not 7 or 15.

I suggest you listen to more Peat interviews and read more of his articles, your viewpoints are what the forum was talking about around 4 years ago.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
High fat with high carb seems like a bad idea per Randle cycle according to Haidut. What do you think?
Agreed, but there are a very variables, such as activity level, individuality, etc. I think most people will do better on either ends of the spectrum, for example around 20% of calories from fat or 20% of calories from carbs.

Agree calories in vs calories out still true - 2 law of thermodynamics still applies lol. Differences in hormones like thyroid, leptin will cause differences in the methabolic rate, but it will not cause huge difference inthe BMR. Ultimately people will become overweight, because they eat more than their TDE. Most hypothyroid people have poor blood sugar control so they will eat frequently and a lot of times bad foods (high calorie snacks - fat + carbs). Lot of hypothyroid people who have poor appetites actually under eat and will actually lose weight (I was/am one of them) - Georgi talked about this in one of Danny's podcasts.

OP
M

Maljam

I would disagree that few here eat low fat, due to the sheer amount of posts I had to reply to when I dared suggest people eat around 30% of their calories from fat.

OP
M

Maljam

Agree calories in vs calories out still applies - 2 law of thermodynamics still applies lol. Differences in hormones like thyroid, leptin will cause differences in the methabolic rate, but it will not cause huge difference inthe BMR. Ultimately people will become overweight, because they eat more than their TDE. Most hypothyroid people have poor. blood sugar control so. they will eat frequently and a lot of times bad foods (high calorie snacks - fat + carbs). Lot of hypothyroid people who have poor appetites actually under eat and will actually lose weight (I was/am one of them) - Georgi talked about this in one of Danny's podcasts.

This isn't a thread about weight gain or loss, theres already about a million of them. You're missing the point.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I would disagree that few here eat low fat, due to the sheer amount of posts I had to reply to when I dared suggest people eat around 30% of their calories from fat.
Perhaps you should make a poll which should only include people that actually count calories and macros. People are notorious for underestimating how much they eat and it goes for fat as well. There is a bias towards fat is bad here but that doesn't mean people actually follow their belief to the letter.

OP
M

Maljam

Perhaps you should make a poll which should only include people that actually count calories and macros. People are notorious for underestimating how much they eat and it goes for fat as well. There is a bias towards fat is bad here but that doesn't mean people actually follow their belief to the letter.

I think in that poll most people would just put what they think, rather than what they actually do. (I think most people in the world do similar things, pretend they drink less, exercise more than they do when a doctor asks for example.)

Fair enough, I am trying to dispel the outdated notion that fat is bad, single handedly if I have to :tearsofjoy:

Agreed, but there are a very variables, such as activity level, individuality, etc. I think most people will do better on either ends of the spectrum, for example around 20% of calories from fat or 20% of calories from carbs.
Thanks! I will experiment with high Fat lower carb.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I think in that poll most people would just put what they think, rather than what they actually do. (I think most people in the world do similar things, pretend they drink less, exercise more than they do when a doctor asks for example.)

Fair enough, I am trying to dispel the outdated notion that fat is bad, single handedly if I have to :tearsofjoy:
I wasn't trying to disagree with you that fat is bad. I myself consume a good amount of fat daily.

OP
M

Maljam

I wasn't trying to disagree with you that fat is bad. I myself consume a good amount of fat daily.

Oh no, I know you weren't, I have read a few of the articles on your website and enjoyed them and you have said a few positive things about fat. I was just meaning to say I was wanting to dispel the notion for the forum as a whole.

Jessie

What are you on about? Honestly every post you quote of mine is incoherent and raises irrelevant points. Who is on about carb restriction? Who is on about weight gain? I asked Ray what fat calories he recommended. Then I talked about increasing fat for someone eating low fat and getting nowhere FOR HEALTH. Nobody is talking about weight gain.

Health and weight gain are strongly correlated. Perhaps make your post more clear for people to understand next time.

Also 30% isn't much? You were recommending people eat 7% fat diets yesterday
Where did I recommend this to other people? I didn't. On a entirely different thread, completely not related to this one, I discussed the problems and controversy surrounding saturated fat's role in the inflammation process.

To minimize translocation and high serum LPS, along with suppressing serotonin synthesis, I recommended the optimal way to do this is through low-fat diets (7%-15%), sticking primarily to MCTs which are TLR4 antagonists, and any additional fats could be made through sugar.

I suggest you listen to more Peat interviews and read more of his articles, your viewpoints are what the forum was talking about around 4 years ago.
Peat would likely not disagree with anything I said, particularly considering he's actually said "keep fats on the low side, and consume as much sugar and starch as possible."

I think you're the one that's confused, spreading low-carb broscience on a forum that's literally about suppressing FAO and beta-oxidation.

YourUniverse

I like fats for the specific effects or vitamins they have, but I feel better going lower fat for sure. When I eat a really high fat diet as percentage of calories i find i have a harder time breathing, maybe less co2 production? Also, 0 or 1% milk is the most satisfying food there is.

Cream and butter offer tremendous vitamin K and bits of A, and coconut oil I think is great to increase the day's trajectory, unsuppressing metabolism. Otherwise, I feel much better doing lower fat

OP
M

Maljam

Perhaps make your post more clear for people to understand next time.

You seem to be the only forum member struggling with it.

I would also argue that health and weight gain are strongly correlated.

Not as clear cut as that. Context is everything. Someone underweight from malnutrition will gain weight and health from eating more. Someone overweight may improve their health from losing weight. Peat has also said somewhere around 25 percent body fat is ideal.

Where did I recommend this to other people? I didn't. On a entirely different thread, completely not related to this one, I discussed the problems and controversy surrounding saturated fat's role in the inflammation process.

To minimize translocation and high serum LPS, along with suppressing serotonin synthesis, I recommended the optimal way to do this is through low-fat diets (7%-15%), sticking primarily to MCTs which are TLR4 antagonists, and any additional fats could be made through sugar.

I asked you to provide a source that butter increases serotonin synthesis. You still haven't provided it.

I asked you to prove that the translocation of endotoxin through the fat induced chylomicrons was harmful. You still haven't responded to this.

I think you're the one that's confused, spreading low-carb broscience on a forum that's literally about suppressing FAO and beta-oxidation.

Please point me to my posts where I suggested anyone go low carb. I have never suggested going low carb as I think it is a bad idea.

Connor888

but I feel better going lower fat for sure. When I eat a really high fat diet as percentage of calories i find i have a harder time breathing

I think I know what you mean. When I eat too much fat, it feels like my organs are just swimming in blubber! Haha :D

I have drank whole milk for awhile now, but I find if I eat meals containing a moderate amount of fat on top of the milk, I just feel uncomfortable and I know I've gone way over on my fat intake. I feel much more healthy drinking 1.8% fat milk

B___Danny

Many on this forum don't realize that the fatty acid metabolism that Peat references is only in the context of not eating enough and not eating frequently which encourages the catabolic metabolic (that uses your own fatty acids and sometimes your own amino acids) adaptation which causes much illness. Carbs protect against the ills caused by fasting (starving) state ((to some extent)) and not eating enough , but consuming fats does not contribute to these degenerative diseases. Almost every centenarian eats a high fat diet. Even just a hundred years ago in my family's home town where people frequently lived to 100-110 WHILE taking care of themselves, they ate high fat high carb moderate-low protein (mostly from raw eggs, and some meat and some blood). Starvation is the real killer, and every disease stems from it.