Ray Peat Is Fine With Up To 30% Of Calories From Saturated Fat

Recoen

@Tristan Loscha All I can say is be mindful of how you feel. Take notes of the little things, even something as little as the occasional bad night of sleep. Especially if it becomes more frequent, because that's how it all started for me.

I did have a few pros while being in ketosis. I noticed my vascularity was much more pronounced, especially after workouts. My veins would be jotted as hell, and I liked that. I've been able to duplicate that by soaking in epsom salt and baking soda.

I also noticed lots of mental clarity in the beginning, but that ended up fading away, and got so bad I eventually couldn't concentrate on any one thing for longer then about 10 minutes without losing focus. I guess it had something to do with my sensitivity to adrenaline, and then as time went by, I slowly became more and more desensitized to it's effects.

I thought increase vascularity had to do with more estrogen and NO?

Jessie

I thought increase vascularity had to do with more estrogen and NO?
Yeah, I think the NO surge was probably a big factor in this, it boosted the circulation. This is probably why I can get similar effects with combining magnesium and sodium bicarbonate. That also increases blood flow.

neuroplasma

Indeed you need enough good fats, from good sources. Indeed people here seem to focus too much on the sugar. I would aim at 30%, not think of it as upper limit. The more you exercise, the more you need carbs in proportion.

I think RP might be slightly cautious with the fat % because it is so difficult to ensure you consume a good source. Adding tablespoons of coconut oil to every food is not very healthy, but do the same with tallow and you will be on fire. We seriously underestimate the power of long chained saturated fat when combined with the vitamins and other nutrients they come with in natural form.

why is tallow more healthy than coconut oil? coconut oil appears to have less PUFA and MUFA than beef tallow?

High fat with high carb seems like a bad idea per Randle cycle according to Haidut. What do you think?

I try for 40/30/30 of carbs, protein and fat, although I try to consume the carbs and fat separately, not always possible of course whilst socializing.
I eat 3 meals a day typically spread out between an 8 hour window and in-between (small) amounts of cheese (for example) :):

rei

why is tallow more healthy than coconut oil? coconut oil appears to have less PUFA and MUFA than beef tallow?
because it contains vitamins, minerals, and many biologically active ingredients the cow body used energy to synthesize. For instance the CLA:s are probably the positive part of the LA inflammation cascade, concentrated in tallow. This has been many tiems proven to limit cancer growth, among other things. Whereas LA increases it's growth.

All this in addition to the fact it contains stearic acid, probably the most prometabolic fatty acid. It is direct mitochondrial growth hormone. Normally mitochondria synthesize it with great energy expenditure. If it is available in the diet even small amounts do wonders as they are used structurally, not primarily to be oxidized for energy.

Jessie

I don't think one is necessarily more "healthy" then the other, they just preform two totally different mechanisms. This is like saying what's healthier, vitamin D or vitamin E?

Medium chain fats are better at diluting the PUFA that occurs from lypolisis, the longer chain fats are better at displacing PUFAs inside the cell. So something like tallow would be better at improving your SFA/PUFA ratio, but this takes several years. Coconut oil would give instant relief from any liberated PUFA in the serum.

If someone is new to Peat's ideas, I think it's probably better to prioritize MCTs, because you likely have excessive PUFA accumulation and this makes your lypolisis more metabolically toxic. If you've been eating a low fat diet for many years, then I think stuff like tallow and cocoa is probably superior to coconut oil, because they will keep you in that low PUFA high energy state.

yashi

Cleaning my gut out seems to have had the biggest lasting effect on me. I no longer have to use the drugs daily anymore, just infrequently as needed. If I'm extra stressed or something, I won't hesitate to take something, but for the most part I don't need them. I just use activated charcoal (10-15 grams each dose) biweekly and eat insoluble fibers like carrot salads, mushrooms, wheat bran, cocoa, berries, etc. Keeping my gut clean seems to allow my liver to hold glycogen better, which makes sense if it was being poisoned by endotoxin.
Did you do any hard reset on the gut or just eased into it with the carrots, mushrooms, charcoal, etc.? Or did you do any antibiotics or anything else in a major way first?

Jessie

Did you do any hard reset on the gut or just eased into it with the carrots, mushrooms, charcoal, etc.? Or did you do any antibiotics or anything else in a major way first?
Not really, probably the most harsh thing I tried was restricted eating windows. From about 7pm to about 10-11am I wasn't eating anything, I was giving the digestive system a break. I did this for about 30 days, albeit a few days I broke the fast early, like if I was getting excessively cold or something.

I did try penicillin and doxy, but I didn't stick with it for any considerable amount of time. I thought IF was less harsh then the antibiotics, but this is just my opinion. If you have problems with FAO then fasting may cause more problems then it helps.

I remember Paul Jaminet writing a article about the metabolic flexibility of bacteria, and how they can burn fat just as well as glucose. So if fasting sends you in a chronic state of excessive FAO, it may actually end up feeding bacteria instead of starving them. In that situation I would choose antibiotics.

The insoluble fibers was something that I just jumped into. I noticed the mushrooms did cause some digestive discomfort for the first few days, but it subsided. I think I ate too many too fast, about 1 pound a day. If starting over, I would probably do 1/2 lb daily. When they cook they shrivel up into almost nothing, lol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals