Ray Peat Intersectional Feminist Facebook Group

LUH 3417

I'm pretty sure the first feminists wanted to be paid for domestic duties, something which has been buried with its history as it's been usurped and distorted time and time again.

chispas

I can tell that every leftist I have seen has man boobs and the girls are almost always fat or ugly.

I love the use of "almost always" in this remark as if there's an important point worth guarding from sheer total generalisation.

"Every leftist I have seen" - interesting approach, keen powers of observation, eh? Is it the Che Guevara t-shirts that give them away?

Sorry in advance, my mitochondria are being so well uncoupled by this amazingly "intersectional" thread.

chispas

I'm pretty sure the first feminists wanted to be paid for domestic duties, something which has been buried with its history as it's been usurped and distorted time and time again.

Look, I don't know what westsidepufa is on about by making this thread, but feminism, of all the identity-politics-quests of the last couple of hundred years, definitely has a history, and it's certainly not buried. It's endlessly being repeated ad nauseum by the hollow relativists like Beyonce and Taylor Swift, or Caitlin Jenner! It sells more clicks. John Stuart Mill was pro-first-wave-feminism, which was basically the equivalent of Make White Women Great Again. Black women were still greatly oppressed by the first feminists. Beggars can still be racists after all! I think voting was the issue by the way, not domestic duties.

chispas

This group is open to women and men to discuss issues with respect and without hate speech, judgement or splaining

Westsidepufa probably not allowed to join then.

LUH 3417

Westsidepufa probably not allowed to join then.
Sarah Josefa Hale and Charlotte Perkins were notable for their economic stance. The buried history refers to the fact that feminism has become more about identity and beckoning respect for a spectrum of sizes rather than a movement focused on legitimate economic empowerment. Lana del rey doesn't care about feminism because she's paid. Her comment is pretty stupid in my humble opinion.

chispas

Sarah Josefa Hale and Charlotte Perkins were notable for their economic stance. The buried history refers to the fact that feminism has become more about identity and beckoning respect for a spectrum of sizes rather than a movement focused on legitimate economic empowerment. Lana del rey doesn't care about feminism because she's paid. Her comment is pretty stupid in my humble opinion.

I get what you are saying. I don't think there is such a thing as "economic empowerment" for men or women. In our society, real empowerment comes from oppressing others. But even the oppressor is oppressed because the role they play is played only for money.

Just like Lana Del Ray, who by getting paid, ultimately oppresses herself as a constructed commodity. She's not interested in feminism because she cannot conceive of herself or her life situation outside of oppression. She probably thinks she's being transgressive.

LUH 3417

I get what you are saying. I don't think there is such a thing as "economic empowerment" for men or women. In our society, real empowerment comes from oppressing others. But even the oppressor is oppressed because the role they play is played only for money.

Just like Lana Del Ray, who by getting paid, ultimately oppresses herself as a constructed commodity. She's not interested in feminism because she cannot conceive of herself or her life situation outside of oppression. She probably thinks she's being transgressive.
Or subversive...in the same sense that lying about being a folk singer from the Midwest and actually being from an upper class NY family is subversive...

I agree what you say about economic empowerment. I'm frustrated by the way celebrity can make things hollow, especially complex histories/ideas that are turned into play time and made fashionable, co-opted and spread by pop culture, and that was mostly my point, but that's propabably another conversation altogether. A matriarchy entails oppressing men..on and on and on

InChristAlone

I figured I'd share this for those who may be interested:

"Welcome to Ray Peat Women. This is an international and intersectional ‘safe space’, primarily established to discuss female issues, with a Ray Peat backdrop. Many of us feel that Ray Peat is pro-feminism, anti-establishment, anti-authoritarian and an advocate of women. This group is open to women and men to discuss issues with respect and without hate speech, judgement or splaining.

A rough guide to our discussion topics:

• Feminism, particularly from a Peat-esque perspective

• Ray Peat’s articles and views on women

• Women's health issues, such as fertility, weight, body image, emotions

• Accessing healthcare as a woman or any marginalised group

• Health vs image and beauty

• Mother, child, relationship and family issues

• Size acceptance

• Health at every size (HAES)

• Racism and other intersections, such as ableism, homophobia etc

• Demonisation of food and lifestyle habits

• Sex and sexuality

• Reproductive health and family planning services

• Health, poverty and other types of privilege and oppression

• General feminism discussion for Ray Peat followers

• Any Ray Peat or health related issue you feel unable to discuss in other groups.

Group policy (please read before posting)

All people entering this safe space are making an agreement to:

• Respect the pronouns, names, and identities of everyone. Do not assume anyone’s gender identity, sexual preference, survivor status, economic status, background, health, etc.

• Respect people’s opinions, beliefs, experiences and differing points of view.

• Be responsible for our own actions and aware of our prejudices and privileges.

• Notice if things are falling below an acceptable standard (healthy people speaking over less healthy people, men speaking over women, hetereosexual or cis people speaking over LGBT people, etc) and be prepared to intervene if/when this happens. Be vocal when you see others being disrespected, or when they have expressed that they are triggered or distressed by something.

• Be aware and remind themselves of the group policy.

• Respect everyone’s emotional and physical (in the case of meet ups) boundaries. Ask first before touching, and listen and change your behavior if someone tells you that you are making them uncomfortable.

• Be aware of their language and behavior, and to reflect thoughtfully and critically about the subtle and not-so-subtle ways in which language furthers social stigma and oppression.

• Be tolerant of other’s religious beliefs or lack thereof.

This is a violence and hate-free space with zero-tolerance for, for racism, ageism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, classism, sizeism, ableism (including mental illness), sexworker-phobia or for any other behavior or language that may perpetuate oppression. Admins may remove posts or comments, which violate these rules, without warning.

If you experience discrimination, abuse, harassment or violence of any kind from another group member, notify a moderator immediately."

If you don't know what "intersectionality" is, this video 'splains:

What is your point in sharing this? I am friends with the admin and am in that group. Does the raypeatforum discriminate against specific people? There are quite a few feminist ray peat followers. But also as I can clearly see quite a few prejudiced people.

x-ray peat

What is your point in sharing this? I am friends with the admin and am in that group. Does the raypeatforum discriminate against specific people? There are quite a few feminist ray peat followers. But also as I can clearly see quite a few prejudiced people.
Ironically you say that in defense of a women only group. Who again is being discriminatory? Just splaining.

Kyle M

In case anyone is interested, at the moment of this posting I'm sitting in a biomedical academic office listening to the 100% female lab that shares the office with my lab talk incessantly about food. There is a food truck on campus on Wednesdays, and apparently the empanadas are good. It's hard to mess up empanadas, they say, unless you mess up the dough. Or put too many olives in them. The sauce is pleasantly spicy. All of this is being yelled loud enough so that I would make a face if they were talking that loud to me a few feet away, and they are across the room. About an hour ago they were trying to figure out how to keep their mini fridge from smelling like ***t, and wondering if they had forgotten to take their food out again.

So, I don't know precisely what I mean by this, but there's something bad going on here, pushing more girls into science to "compete with the boys, show 'em you're just as smart" where they will end up talking about food with other fat career women all day. Ironically, their PI is a man, and the social dynamic is essentially a harem without the sex. h u m a n n a t u r e c a n n o t b e o v e r c o m e b y w i s h i n g i t a w a y

InChristAlone

No, the group is welcome to respectful men as well.

Queequeg

:deercorn

Last edited:

InChristAlone

In case anyone is interested, at the moment of this posting I'm sitting in a biomedical academic office listening to the 100% female lab that shares the office with my lab talk incessantly about food. There is a food truck on campus on Wednesdays, and apparently the empanadas are good. It's hard to mess up empanadas, they say, unless you mess up the dough. Or put too many olives in them. The sauce is pleasantly spicy. All of this is being yelled loud enough so that I would make a face if they were talking that loud to me a few feet away, and they are across the room. About an hour ago they were trying to figure out how to keep their mini fridge from smelling like ***t, and wondering if they had forgotten to take their food out again.

So, I don't know precisely what I mean by this, but there's something bad going on here, pushing more girls into science to "compete with the boys, show 'em you're just as smart" where they will end up talking about food with other fat career women all day. Ironically, their PI is a man, and the social dynamic is essentially a harem without the sex. h u m a n n a t u r e c a n n o t b e o v e r c o m e b y w i s h i n g i t a w a y
What? Are you saying your female colleagues have nothing to contribute in their job? See this is what we are up against. I happen to be pretty smart with nutrition type stuff, but lately have been noticing that if a man said the same thing as me would get more recognition for it. The disparity is real.

TubZy

I think the real issue is the wording as well not sure why they had to use strong words like "pro feminism" without any substantial evidence that Ray even is in favor of feminism in the first place.

Many of us feel that Ray Peat is pro-feminism, anti-establishment, anti-authoritarian and an advocate of women.

InChristAlone

Ray Peat wrote a book 'Nutrition for Women' and you think there is no evidence he is pro-women?

keith

I really don't get all the negativity. No one is forcing anyone else to join. It is a group of like minded people who want to connect with other like minded people. If you are interested, ask to join. If you aren't, then don't. Different people have different opinions. The one thing that I think should be absolutely 100% clear about Ray Peat is that he is anti-authoritarian, which means he does not believe in enforcing his beliefs or attitudes on others. Why do people feel such a need to crap on other people?

Sucrates

A few of the RP FB groups are marxist-feminist groups, at least that one has an honest description, to the degree any sense at all can be made of the post modern gibberish.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals