Ray Peat Interview Ray Peat in panel discussion on obesity and PUFAs

Sefton10

David Gornoski sits down with Dr. Cate Shanahan, Dr. Ray Peat, Tucker Goodrich, Brad Marshall, and Dr. Petro Dobromylskyj. The conversation revolves around the question of what causes obesity. What explains the correlation between seed oil consumption and rising obesity in America? If obesity is a signaler, what is it saying?

Jennifer

Wild. I was just thinking about Dr. Shanahan. She was my doctor the first year after my spine collapsed. She let me come in weekly to discuss science and diet with her. Thanks for sharing this, @Sefton10.

Jam

tallglass13

Wow, first time I ever heard Ray in an actual debate. He did well., The woman Dr. Shanahan was disagreeing with him. I felt she was sort of a b****. I don't she understands the importance of the Oxidative/reductive balance.

Last edited:

Demyze

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Damn, I checked to se if it had already been posted too. Don’t think original post was tagged as an interview so I missed it.

ATP

Peat really made that woman's mind shut down at 57:18. Great stuff from him as usual.

Peatful

Peat really made that woman's mind shut down at 57:18. Great stuff from him as usual.
Yes.
He is Master Class.

There are many geniuses out there; but there is something so different and special about him.
He deserves to be read and understood and enjoyed.

pushkin

Yes.
He is Master Class.

There are many geniuses out there; but there is something so different and special about him.

He certainly is. Wow, amazing. She made me feel on edge the whole way through, she seemed guarded and confrontational, which was a shame, I think they could have had a much more meaningful conversation if she'd not been there. I'm just looking at the other thread and I see that she has been discussed over there too.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

He certainly is. Wow, amazing. She made me feel on edge the whole way through, she seemed guarded and confrontational, which was a shame, I think they could have had a much more meaningful conversation if she'd not been there. I'm just looking at the other thread and I see that she has been discussed over there too.
I don't necessarily agree with Petro Dobromylskyj, but he seems like a good dude too.

Regina

Yes.
He is Master Class.

It's like he held forth to serve his fellow man as a conduit into these other mouthpieces. But the lady was deaf from her self-preservation mode. Straight up narcissism.

pushkin

I don't necessarily agree with Petro Dobromylskyj, but he seems like a good dude too.

I just wish I could have heard more from him, (and the others too) he seemed very interesting and I think would have contributed a lot to the discussion. Instead we had to listen to Dr. Cate sort herself out as she went along.

It's like he held forth to serve his fellow man as a conduit into these other mouthpieces. But the lady was deaf from her self-preservation mode. Straight up narcissism.

Totally agree, what a shame.

Peatful

I love this overlooked aspect of Peat.
Serving through teaching and truth without ego.
His graciousness. His steadiness.
His authority in the most anti authoritarian way.

I had an exchange with him a year or two ago- asking about this- and he gave full credit to his parents. Particularly his mom iirc.

Regina

I love this overlooked aspect of Peat.
Serving through teaching and truth without ego.
His graciousness. His steadiness.
His authority in the most anti authoritarian way.

I had an exchange with him a year or two ago- asking about this- and he gave full credit to his parents. Particularly his mom iirc.
Nice. That's cool.

Nomane Euger

does anyone knows what this woman is saying at 1:20:04,i just heared "consequence" but not the first part of the sentance

Last edited:

sunny

I hope she watches the interview with an open mind and considers that she might be wrong. After all, her view seemed to be that there must be a consensus among those who oppose the current medical establishment view to get change to take place- but she did not seem willing to consider that her position might not be accurate.

Rafe

Great job putting that together David Gornoski.

Cate Shanahan here is an academic rationalist (the logic is what matters most & must be spared any assault, not as much what is happening in a real body b/c the body is like a machine), plus she isn’t seeing the physics in the biology, which is what physical biology is & why it is so radically empiricist. No lipid cell membrane, anyone?

If she had a tiny shift in her thinking (oxidative stress leads to reductive stress, or burning fatty acids causes fat storage), the whole structure of her assumptions would be at risk. Her whole intellectual world would have to be rebuilt. This happened to me.

Tucker even offered a central study at the end & she didn’t follow up.

I’m sure she thinks she’s an empiricist (academic scientists assume they are) b/c of the assumptions about traditional diets & the paleo-type appeal to evolutionary biology. It’s funny b/c she was just as cliched as anything you’d read in the popular health press (“the problem is mitochondria slurping glucose”). It’s clear that she thinks she’s the expert & based on that then Peter, Brad, Tucker, & David should defer to her views as well as all those others who she says they have to take control of the debates from.

They were very self-controlled toward her.

The empirical physical biology always has political implications. That’s how it feels so real, exciting, & risky. Rationalism is just a snooze fest.

pushkin

Great job putting that together David Gornoski.

Cate Shanahan here is an academic rationalist (the logic is what matters most & must be spared any assault, not as much what is happening in a real body b/c the body is like a machine), plus she isn’t seeing the physics in the biology, which is what physical biology is & why it is so radically empiricist. No lipid cell membrane, anyone?

If she had a tiny shift in her thinking (oxidative stress leads to reductive stress, or burning fatty acids causes fat storage), the whole structure of her assumptions would be at risk. Her whole intellectual world would have to be rebuilt. This happened to me.

Tucker even offered a central study at the end & she didn’t follow up.

I’m sure she thinks she’s an empiricist (academic scientists assume they are) b/c of the assumptions about traditional diets & the paleo-type appeal to evolutionary biology. It’s funny b/c she was just as cliched as anything you’d read in the popular health press (“the problem is mitochondria slurping glucose”). It’s clear that she thinks she’s the expert & based on that then Peter, Brad, Tucker, & David should defer to her views as well as all those others who she says they have to take control of the debates from.

They were very self-controlled toward her.

The empirical physical biology always has political implications. That’s how it feels so real, exciting, & risky. Rationalism is just a snooze fest.

That's very interesting. I think the fact they were very self-controlled towards her says it all. So sad because it is her we are discussing and not the PUFA issue - maybe thjs at the end of the day was all she really wanted.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals